Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    this is the ****, i was lost on a mountain road last night, and the prints outs i had did nto show the resolution i was looking for, i typed in the addy i was at and the addy i was supposed to be at and arried within sevral minutes after sitting in one spot for nearly 15 minutes waitin gfor my friend to find me!!!
    I have this thing about maximizing free memory and am more than willing to trade reasonable launch time against free memory. At this typing I have 38.2mb of free memory.
    Ben
    <moved and merged>
    Gotta love this app. Was lost this morning on the way to a job interview. Needless to say, I didn't have the luxury of time. Whipped out google maps and typed in the street/intersection I was on and voila. I found my way. THANK YOU GOOGLE!! I LOVE GOOGLE!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    Gotta love this app. Was lost this morning on the way to a job interview. Needless to say, I didn't have the luxury of time. Whipped out google maps and typed in the street/intersection I was on and voila. I found my way. THANK YOU GOOGLE!! I LOVE GOOGLE!
    I wish I had loved them enough to buy a hundred shares of their stock when they went public at about $60.00 a share. They're now getting close to $475.00 a share! Could have turned a $6000.00 investment into nearly $50,000 in under two years

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 10/24/2006 at 11:21 AM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    heh. good point. tough love.
    This looks really impressive, and it's cool to play with, but I'm not sure how reliable it is. I search on 4 addressed today. 1 was marked in the right place. 1 (my house), was close, but about half a block off. My brothers house was a full block off, and an office building I had to go to this afternoon was positioned on the map almost a mile from where it really is.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    That's inherent with the database that the mapping apps use, not google maps itself. It doesn't matter which of the various satellite mapping, or "regular" mapping programs, Navteq has my house about 5 houses off. Some places seem hit or miss (at least close), but most of the time it's pretty accurate.
    It gets you to the neighborhood and that is the big plus to these types of maps. Paper maps often have as many errors. Ben
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
    That's inherent with the database that the mapping apps use, not google maps itself. It doesn't matter which of the various satellite mapping, or "regular" mapping programs, Navteq has my house about 5 houses off. Some places seem hit or miss (at least close), but most of the time it's pretty accurate.
    I've used Mapopolis for almost two years. There is one specific shopping center I go to a lot and if I have Mapopolis turned on (just for grins, obviously I know how to get home from a shopping center a mile away..) .. it will tell me to turn left out of the shopping center's driveway. Well you can't turn left there. There's a berm in the middle of the street forbidding left turns. But NAVTEQ's database doesn't know from berms like that on suburban streets. It just plots a path from a to b and tells you to take it. Someone from out of town at that shopping center who wanted to get back to my place who was using GPS might get befuddled by something like this. "Well, it wants me to turn left, and I can't, so now what?"

Point is, NAVTEQ data simply isn't perfect. There are lots of road features it simply doesn't know about. Google maps - same kind of little glitches. I don't know if GPS driving software or mapping software can ever be totally "perfect" no matter how often they update their databases

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
    But not all mapping databases are created equal. My Garmin found the office building with no problem at all.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    This looks really impressive, and it's cool to play with, but I'm not sure how reliable it is. I search on 4 addressed today. 1 was marked in the right place. 1 (my house), was close, but about half a block off. My brothers house was a full block off, and an office building I had to go to this afternoon was positioned on the map almost a mile from where it really is.
    A mile off is a lot. I suspect an error of that magnitude relates to something that has changed (business has moved) or to direction indicators with street names (N Main vs. S Main). Using street addresses is always hit and miss because they are often grouped by one or more blocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
    A mile off is a lot. I suspect an error of that magnitude relates to something that has changed (business has moved) or to direction indicators with street names (N Main vs. S Main). Using street addresses is always hit and miss because they are often grouped by one or more blocks.
    I searched on the address, not a business name. And the street doesn't have any east/west or north/south modifiers in the name. As someone else said, all mapping databases have errors. Something got screwed up on this one.

Nonetheless, the fact that 3 out of 4 I checked were off, 2 by a fairly significant amount, troubles me.
    Bob Meyer
    I've been using Google Maps on my 650 for a few weeks. It's been great, but today it has stopped working. I noticed it after installing the update for Kmaps which added the feature to be able to lookup an address from your contacts in Google Maps.

I now get the 0KB. Searching... but nothing ever loads. The message is:

This program requires a data connection. Please contact your carrier, or visit google.com/gmm/configure.html on your computer for more info.
    (Error: ApNetLib error: 4626)

My network connection works fine for Blazer and Chatter. I tried uninstalling Kmaps and Google Maps. I reinstalled Google Maps. Nothing seems to help. Could the service possibly be down?
    Try doing a soft-reset. I didn't get the error message but I had the problem where Google Maps would sit on "searching" or "loading" or whatever it says with 0 KB next to it, but my internet connection was fine.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Works fine here in bay area.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    working fine here in Atlanta today as well
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    for you guys using tzones, give the gmm app a shot again, it suddenly started working for me today, it looks like t-mo has reopened non-proxy access via tzones, at least for now.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Thanks for the link. Kick booty free app!
    works fantastic and I can leave the app and return to the app EXACTLY where I left off! In kmaps u have to re-enter all info and WAIT.

The Cache has to be moved to the SD. It also does not reuse cached maps. I brought up my address moved the map around a bit. turned off the phone/radio then started gmaps app the it has to reconnect to achive the same map, my address. this becomes a problem when people move from where they are to an area where the is no data service. No data no maps = Lost and feeling around in the dark. there are 3 or 4 perfect palm os apps. A couple small tweeks and this is the next one. Thanks