Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    how many years it took palm to keep garnet?

symbian, wm and linux are constantly upgrading.

with POS one is stuck some years ago.

how many years it will take to give us multi-tasking? which is basic, but important, ain't it?

the interface then was revolutionary and is still simple and easy to use.

but too simple compared to new possibilities out there today.

by reaffirming that palm is not for sale its leader affirmed the unavoidable.

I enjoyed the treo 650 as a great reliable friend after some initial hickups.

unfortunately its time to move on. sadly, to say.

as I asume that symbian is faster and more flexible compared to wm, guess which way I'm going.
    They are getting it (OS5) for free from Access. They will mike this baby for as long as possible.

Imagine, in year 2010, Palm announce the new Treo 880, with the all new PalmOS 5.9.99.99.002. And you will be making your 2015th about the POS.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyber View Post
    how many years it took palm to keep garnet?

symbian, wm and linux are constantly upgrading.

with POS one is stuck some years ago.

how many years it will take to give us multi-tasking? which is basic, but important, ain't it?

the interface then was revolutionary and is still simple and easy to use.

but too simple compared to new possibilities out there today.

by reaffirming that palm is not for sale its leader affirmed the unavoidable.

I enjoyed the treo 650 as a great reliable friend after some initial hickups.

unfortunately its time to move on. sadly, to say.

as I asume that symbian is faster and more flexible compared to wm, guess which way I'm going.
    POS is on life support. They might have pulled the plug; instead they gave it a transfusion. This will not rejuvenate it but may give it a few more months.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    i got a pretty good contact inside palm though who reassures me that POS is all but dead.

who tells me all may not be as they seem.
    i got a pretty good contact inside palm though who reassures me that POS is all but dead.
    I think we all knew that... years ago. The question is: Is Palmsource dead ? Will Access ALP be stillborn ? Will *something* carry on the cultural heritage of PalmOS in a way that is timely, innovative and *successful* against MS WM ?
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Will *something* carry on the cultural heritage of PalmOS in a way that is timely, innovative and *successful* against MS WM ?
    In europe that's not even a consideration - the battleground is symbian vs. WM - palm is not a player.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I have M600i, Dopod 838, and T650. Guess who is my companion ??? T650.
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    anyway, I think I give in and will go for the 680 - wonder how much they will charge for it in asia. the only real prob I have with POS is no multitasking.

otherwise, with mac, those two play together nicely.

I assume isync wont be a problem with mac os x.
    I've never heard anyone say Symbian is faster or more customizable than WM. People say things like more stable, better phones, easier to use, but Symbian is notorious for being slow, locked down and with less third party support and tweaks.

Surur
    anyway, I think I give in and will go for the 680 - wonder how much they will charge for it in asia. the only real prob I have with POS is no multitasking.

otherwise, with mac, those two play together nicely.

I assume isync wont be a problem with mac os x.
    Price will be high but availability will be the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I've never heard anyone say Symbian is faster or more customizable than WM. People say things like more stable, better phones, easier to use, but Symbian is notorious for being slow, locked down and with less third party support and tweaks.

Surur
    It's slower, true. I found a few apps I can use(thanks to Handango). But I'll take either, no more Palm OS. If even Symbian can handle 3G, Palm's indeed a dino, as another poster said. Unless they release the true update by 2008. Wishful thinking, I know.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's slower, true. I found a few apps I can use(thanks to Handango). But I'll take either, no more Palm OS. If even Symbian can handle 3G, Palm's indeed a dino, as another poster said. Unless they release the true update by 2008. Wishful thinking, I know.
    The window for POS slams shut when Cingular offers UMTS. Let us hope that is before 2008.
    Cingular will probably be working it in during 2007, and they are a little slow too. Access has a small window IF they are serious about revamping Palm OS before everyone totally loses interest.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    just had somebody's brand new HP smartwhat ... I got even nervous dailing a simple phone number! that phone was so slow even bringing up that number to the screen ...

when I tested symbian phones, like shortcuts, they reacted much faster ...
    I know garnet is old, and I know you can "do more" with newer technology. however, the POS does what I need it to, and being a Mac user, provides more bang for my buck than I'd get using a different OS. I can run windows on my mac, but choose not to. I'm happy as a clam using the POS for as long as I can. I may be forced to switch to something else in the future, but I will hang on to my memories as long as I can.
    This is about the best example I've ever seen of a company taking a market leading product and then destroying it. Simply pathetic.
    The 680 represents a significant divergence. We all know its limitations. No WIFI, limited memory, no data/talk multi-tasking, etc etc. But these are not issues for most people who are basic, light users. This is why the 680 will make a bunch of money for Ed and friends because that's who will line up to buy the 680.

The WM series allows (eventually) for PALM to address these limitations. And now they MUST do this. The POS can't keep up with the future.. bottom line. (And no one will buy another device without many more ammenities if they can get a 680 for $200).

Now, let's say you're Ed C. .. Do you spend a bucket of cash to re-tool the POS, or do you move to the darkside and take a fistfull of cash from Bill to roll out WM in your hardware. No brainer. And that's what happened. Bill Gates doesn't stand on a stage with Ed and friends to announce one product. He stands on that stage to announce a new DIRECTION.

The high end Treo's must run WM to keep up. The POS works just fine for the masses who don't need much at a lower price point (READ: Lowrider). But the masses will eventually want more.. and POS can't do it without significant investment that PALM is clearly not committed to.

So, moving ahead... I think what we heard Ed say is that the POS platform will be supported, but no groundbreaking devices will roll out on POS. POS will run on low end models (if there is another one after the 680), and WM is how PALM will compete in the marketplace in the future.

POS... RIP.