1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 600 that I have loved for 2 years, but am ready for an upgrade available from Cingular. I like the Palm OS but the 600 is too slow for accessing the internet. I mostly use it for email, calendar, and phone when I am away from the office. I occasionally use it as an mp3 player to listen to books. I don't use a lot of extra apps. Send only occasional text messages. Would the 680 be a good upgrade for me or should I wait for the 750v?
    If you want POS and don't mind EDGE speed, then this is a good upgrade. You will have a better screen, more user storage (64MB), internal antenna and a newer version of Garnet POS.

If you want 3G speed, you will have to move to a 750 or move to a CDMA provider and get the 700p.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  3.    #3  
    I don't have a good feel for how fast 3G is. I just know that when I try to go to the web on the 600 it takes forever and is almost impossible to use. I don't want to leave Cingular, so that has been my problem. I don't want a 650 because that is the old model.
    The 680 would be a great upgrade for you. The Internet would be faster and you would very much enjoy the entire device as its probably closer to your 600 than the 650 is.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I also think the 680 would be a reasonable upgrade for you. I had a 600 on T-Mobile's network and since the GSM 600s were only capable of GPRS data speeds, the 680s EDGE connection will be an improvement.

On the other hand, having a 3G data connection might open avenues for your phone to be even more of a resource to you than it is. Google has released their free mapping software for the PalmOS and a faster data connection means faster maps.

I'm basically saying that the slow data speeds in your 600 have probably been determining (and ultimately limiting) how you use it. So you might find yourself using a newer device with a 3G data in ways you haven't yet imagined. You never know, you may want to stream video to that higher resolution screen. I'm always one to want something with more capabilities that I might currently need so that the device will still be the right choice if my needs change. Go for the 750 man!!

---- EDIT ----

One more consideration is that the 750 uses the MiniSD format, so if you've invested in a lot of SD cards/devices, this may be worth considering. Good luck!
    Last edited by jeeter; 10/16/2006 at 10:12 AM.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Is this a good upgrade from Treo 600? Yes.

I am in the same boat. I have owned a 600 for 3 years. The lacking part of the 600 is the low res screen, non-removable battery and no bluetooth. The 680 is a good upgrade for us 600 people. There will be a temptation to look at 650's and your decision will most likely be made based on the new form factor. I am swaying toward the 680 so long as I can get it for a very good price.
    You bet it's a good upgrade! Better screen, edge speeds compared to GPRS, removable battery, much more memory, etc. I can't wait! It will be a challenge to move all my info over I'm sure. But worth it.
  8.    #8  
    I appreciate all the advice. I'd love to wait for the 750, but if it isn't ready until next year sometime--whenever, I'm going to go for the 680. If it is inexpensive enough, I can always upgrade in another year. I love the orange!
    I've been looking to upgrade my GSM T600 as well. I never thought the extra colors and new keboard of the 650 was enough to spend my hard earned money for one of those, but take those plus the extra memory (BIG SELLING POINT!), loss of the external antenna, etc. It's going to be a well-worth-waiting-for upgrade for me now. My 600 is about 2 1/2 years old and is starting to display some of the orange dots on the screen. I'm guessing from all the rumors I can get the 680 for not much more than what it would cost to get my 600 repaired. So I'm anxiously awaiting the 680 release.

The extra speed capability of the 750 would be nice, but I'm sure it would require a more costly data plan and I'm not ready to upgrade my monthly bill as well. Cingular's Media Works plan has been suiting me well so far, so the 680 seems like money better spent for my situation.
    Enjoy what you do, or do something else!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I guess I did not plan on keeping the 600 for 3 years, but it has been good. I just replaced the battery, microphone and screen and did so very inexpensive using parts from ebay. The device looks and runs like new. I'll probably sell it on ebay when I upgrade. I could not justify getting a 650 for the price and was hoping that the 680 was going to be less expensive. 320x320 and Bluetooth are becoming an issue with some software/hardware. I guess buying a discounted 650 is also an option.
    I just posted this on a new thread - but maybe the discussion belongs here...

I am still on a 600, and one concern that is keeping me from moving to a 750 when it comes out is the loss of all my Palm applications - don't you guys have hundreds of $$ invested in apps that only run on the Palm?

I know POS does not support UTMS etc. - is it possible that someday it will?
    UMTS allows and requires simultaneous voice and data. Unless they can find a way to break the laws of physics, you need a pre-emptive multi-tasking system to support this. Both WM5 and Symbian have this and support UMTS. Palm OS is not a pre-emptive multi-tasking system and would need to be completely rewritten to do so. That was why Palmsource came out with Cobalt (which no hardware manufacter used) and why they are now working on a Linux based system. So the short answer is no.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I'm not a developer - so forgive my ignorance...and I know this sounds like asking how long a piece of string is but:

When a Linux based platform is available, what will the effort be for developers to write their Palm applications to run on Linux?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I'll be staying with Palm OS. My software investment is not the reason as I have only purchased TomTom and a remote control app. The simplicity of the Palm Os is the big selling point for me...Hawkins did a great job with this. Therer was some worry that the Palm OS would not be available from some carriers and/or treo models. I am pretty comfortable with being able to get a Palm OS treo in the future and running my apps on a 600 and any sucessor I choose.
  15. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    So many "well behaved" programs, which typically means the application follows published standards, should work. Some won't.
    I don't keep super close track of this, but I believe the goal is to give the Linux platform the simpler, superior phone-based experience, versus closer integration to MS Windows.
    Problem in my eyes is if they don't come out with a product soon, they're going to die on the vine as the smartphone market quickly moves on.
    Plus side is, Linux (UNIX operating system) is small and quick as an operating system kernel, and it, and now some of the new Palm/ALP's specs, are published as an open standard, fixing two Palm issues. 1. ability to multitask (to do phone radio and data at the same time, for example, as well as multiple windows)
    2. Open standard means almost anyone can enhance any part of the code without license agreement.
    If they produce a product that is even close to Palm (versus windows), I'll almost certainly buy it as I know the power of open source for fixes and new products.

ADS
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    UMTS allows and requires simultaneous voice and data. Unless they can find a way to break the laws of physics, you need a pre-emptive multi-tasking system to support this. Both WM5 and Symbian have this and support UMTS. Palm OS is not a pre-emptive multi-tasking system and would need to be completely rewritten to do so. That was why Palmsource came out with Cobalt (which no hardware manufacter used) and why they are now working on a Linux based system. So the short answer is no.
    I'm sure that you could do some support for UMTS without a pre-emptive multi tasking system. Suppose you accepted that you could only use data when the phone was not on?
    Another way would be the earlist form of multitasking where applications voluntarily gave up the CPU. They would just have to do it often enough. But sure, pre-emptive multi tasking would be better, and we will get it eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    I am still on a 600, and one concern that is keeping me from moving to a 750 when it comes out is the loss of all my Palm applications - don't you guys have hundreds of $$ invested in apps that only run on the Palm?
    This is another reason I would lean towards upgrading to the 680 versus the750. YES! I do have a lot invested in Palm based software for my 600, and I hate to see all that go down the drain due to going to a Windows based unit.
    Enjoy what you do, or do something else!
    Wouldn't the 650 be a better deal - really cheap now. Would it be possible to take a 680 ROM and put it into a 650 GSM device?
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    Wouldn't the 650 be a better deal - really cheap now. Would it be possible to take a 680 ROM and put it into a 650 GSM device?
    i doubt that, but why do you want to do that anyway?

You would not get the slightly different casing
    You would not get colors
    You will not get bluetooth 1.2
    You will not get more memory

So, you might gain some other applications, and yes THEY might be moved to a 650, but not the entire ROM.