Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What are the people at Palm doing???

They keep re-gifting the Treo 600 over and over and over again.

Now they offer it in orange?

I don’t want white or red or orange or grey. I want a Treo that is ALL Black, which, by the way would make it look much, much smaller.

I was the first civilian on earth to get a detailed preview of the Treo 600 before it came out. I told Michelle White from Handspring that the stub antenna was a huge mistake. She gave me some lame excuse and said the phone was better with it. So it took them more than 3 years to fix???

Why is the Treo still so thick? The Motorola Q is half as thick. What is Palm doing? I have never been so unimpressed and uninspired by a new product launch.

Come on Palm, make it half as thick like the Q and make it black…or are you going to make me wait another 3+ years????
    Last edited by JakeE; 10/14/2006 at 03:31 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeE View Post
    What are the people at Palm doing???

They keep regifting the Treo 600 over and over and over again.

Now they offer it in orange?

I don’t want white or red or orange or grey. I want a Treo that is ALL Black, which, by the way would make it look much, much smaller.

I was the first civilian on earth to get a detailed preview of the Treo 600 before it came out. I told Michele White from Handspring that the stub antenna was a huge mistake. She gave me some lame excuse and said the phone was better with it. So it took them 5 years to fix???

Why is the Treo still so thick? The Motorola Q is half as thick. What is Palm doing? I have never been so unimpressed and uninspired by a new product launch.

Come on Palm, make it half as thick like the Q and make it black…or are you going to make me wait another 5 years????

So you're saying that a 680 in black wouldn't have been that disappointing?

The Q is half as think because it doesn't have a touch screen.

Until Access creates a viable new OS, there can't be a non-WM Treo that is much more impressive than the 680.

I know the 680 is a small upgrade at best, but what I can't figure out is why people expected something different today. All the rumors floating around were pretty much spot on.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    So you're saying that a 680 in black wouldn't have been that disappointing?

The Q is half as think because it doesn't have a touch screen.

Until Access creates a viable new OS, there can't be a non-WM Treo that is much more impressive than the 680.

I know the 680 is a small upgrade at best, but what I can't figure out is why people expected something different today. All the rumors floating around were pretty much spot on.
    Quoted above for truth.

I can't use a smartphone without a touchscreen. I've used a blackberry at work. It sucks. Jogging around the screen is slow and frustrating. With my 650, a finger, thumb, pen cap or even the stylus is quick and easy to point at what I want. I'm even an old graffiti user from way back. So there's no way I could use a Q.

I'm looking forward to the additional memory reducing reset frustration. I'm hoping that's not a hope in vain.

I'm also very pleased by the looks of the new UI. I hope I like it when I really get to use it. So far I'm very pleased by how Googlemaps works with my 650 - if that is any indication of the attention palm put into it, great.

My one disappointment is the lack of additional functions in bluetooth. "Consumer focus", my a**! At least I hope there will be a way around that soon - a new version of Softtick Audio Gateway.
    JakeE, I think you are missing the point here. This Treo is not made for you and I. Heck I willl be the first the tell you it is just the 650 with no antenna. But you have to understand that Palm is targeting a whole new audience who have never really used a smartphone. So, this is a spanking new Treo for that audience. As for us, well we might have to wait a while
    Anyway, here are more pics from the event
    http://www.tunjiafonja.com/tunjis_we...80_in_my_.html
    I think the 680 is a good move. It's not for the high end. I'd almost say it's not for most of the people here. But it would be really good for my kids and wife. My wife never uses text messaging because it's too "hard" on a normal phone. Putting some of the cool features in the Treo in a slightly easier, more consumer type product is the right thing to do to expand the market. It won't address the high end (the 750v is better for that) but it could sell a lot more Treos.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212 View Post
    JakeE, I think you are missing the point here. This Treo is not made for you and I. Heck I willl be the first the tell you it is just the 650 with no antenna. But you have to understand that Palm is targeting a whole new audience who have never really used a smartphone. So, this is a spanking new Treo for that audience. As for us, well we might have to wait a while
    Anyway, here are more pics from the event
    http://www.tunjiafonja.com/tunjis_we...80_in_my_.html

What audience? All of the functions that the mass consumer market are after are already offered in far nicer form functions. It's slim but it still looks like a "dad" phone.
    ho hum.....weighs too much and is still too big. too bad.
    Black is a professional color. Same reason you can never buy a black camera for $300 or less.

But I am really upset there is no "neutral" color. Basically you have two "girl color" and an "iPod color". What the hell!? Where is blue?! Hell I will even settle with brown.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    As stated before.....this phone is not for us treo 700+ owners or future owners. This phone is aimed at the "sidekick" market. and with a price tag of $199 I see it taking over alot of the sidekick market share. Start throwing in "new contract/service" discounts... this phone can be had for $50 or even free! This will be a huge seller for palm! The sidekick III retails for $349.99 with out contract and $299.99 with new service. I think palm has this phone priced right where it needs to be. Watch you will see these phones all over the place.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Black is a professional color. Same reason you can never buy a black camera for $300 or less.

But I am really upset there is no "neutral" color. Basically you have two "girl color" and an "iPod color". What the hell!? Where is blue?! Hell I will even settle with brown.
    What about the http://www.palm.com/us/images/produc...ure_middle.jpggraphite color?
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske View Post
    As stated before.....this phone is not for us treo 700+ owners or future owners. This phone is aimed at the "sidekick" market. and with a price tag of $199 I see it taking over alot of the sidekick market share. Start throwing in "new contract/service" discounts... this phone can be had for $50 or even free! This will be a huge seller for palm! The sidekick III retails for $349.99 with out contract and $299.99 with new service. I think palm has this phone priced right where it needs to be. Watch you will see these phones all over the place.

Depends where you are - I don't understand or know very much about the american marketplace but I don't see any significant different in palm market share in europe after the release of this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post

I think that's the gray one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    This is no disappointment. It's also no GSM answer to the 700p.

It's an improved 650 for approximately the SAME price. And yes, the extra RAM is a BIG deal.

When I saw it today, I did get the feeling that the average Joe would give it a shot over other $200-$300 phones. Specially those who have heard of the Treo but have never considered it based on price.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    Not me. I am not disappointed. I did not expect anything different. Why do you think that I am in this ridiculous posture?
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    This is no disappointment. It's also no GSM answer to the 700p.

It's an improved 650 for approximately the SAME price. And yes, the extra RAM is a BIG deal.

When I saw it today, I did get the feeling that the average Joe would give it a shot over other $200-$300 phones. Specially those who have heard of the Treo but have never considered it based on price.
    Perhaps. That is very different from a 650 user buying it, knowing that in the near future he will have to buy yet another phone to get UMTS. For 650 users this is someplace between nothing and a disaster.
    A 650 owner could buy this if they were tired of the same old 650. A cute color, the maps, more RAM and BT 1.2. How fast is the processor? If it's faster than the 650's, not too bad of a replacement. Notice I said replacement, not upgrade.

It may not have the business software pre-installed on it though. But if it does, then it's definitely a replacement for the 650.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    "pocket" phones are supposed to be light and thin. this one is not. those who want light and thin will choose the Q, Pearl, or the Nokia devices. i think the 680 is for the person who loves the Treo, loves Palm OS, wants more memory, doesn't care to pay $200 for a new phone, and loves ANY weight and size improvement. that my friends is who this phone is for, they'll be lining up at their local stores for them.

too big and heavy for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    A 650 owner could buy this if they were tired of the same old 650. A cute color, the maps, more RAM and BT 1.2. How fast is the processor? If it's faster than the 650's, not too bad of a replacement. Notice I said replacement, not upgrade.

It may not have the business software pre-installed on it though. But if it does, then it's definitely a replacement for the 650.
    How about if they throw in $100-?
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    ......they'll be lining up at their local stores for them......
    Both of them?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast