Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    i'm looking at the pearl as well. i have given up on palm. i remember 2+ years ago, just before the 650 came out, sitting at a palm event in nyc. the head engineer had the nerve to say to the group "prepare to be surprised". I wish i remembered his name. I'd send him an email telling him the surprise is that they have done close to nothing in two years. RIM is adding new features all the time. They have another device coming out in early 2007 (8800) that will have WiFi and GPS built in. And Apple will be introuduing their phone in january. Palm will be left in the dust.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    -i haven't reset it in almost 30 days, thanks for taking my word for it
    -you're right, it is a subjective call...my colleagues give it very high marks
    -T Moto-Q has been a great seller..it does offer what most need
    -Suretype works and allows some of us not to have to carry a brick in our pockets

simple
    You forgot to address your previous "better battery" comment

In any case, I am glad that pearl works for you. Time will tell if the Treo 680 will do better than the pearl in the market place.
    the whole argument about the treo size is crap. i'm seeing more and more ppl using. and according to palm the last quarter was their best, even with the new competition.

so making something smaller (and for some unusable) is being inovative?

the sidekick was/is a success because of price. and it is a huge SOB. So now the pearl and the 680 are coming after this market.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    and according to palm the last quarter was their best, even with the new competition.
    That's partly true partly spin - yes they did sell more (of both OS) phones but below what their projections were (in sales terms they were off by about $30 - which they themselves blamed on slow treo sales).

Palm OS has about a 3.5% market share - Which has dropped year on year (mainly because the market is expanding so quickly).
    Last edited by CGK; 10/17/2006 at 02:17 PM. Reason: adding amount
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Time will tell if the Treo 680 will do better than the pearl in the market place.
    I would be very very surprised to see a treo device running palm OS outsell a blackberry device in the current marketplace (unless something weird happens like Teros cost $25).
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpowell View Post
    I like the 680 and plan on getting one. I currently have a 600 and this is a HUGE upgrade for me. I don't want to spend $600 on a high-end phone that has bells and whistles I don't really need. I want a nice upgrade to my 600 at a nice price - the 680's it.
    amen. i've been a handspring user since waaaaaaaaaay back...going back to the Visor, and maybe before.

i upgrade my Treo slowly. i don't need to have the newest one as soon as it comes out. would it be nice? yea. but i don't really have the money to shell out 600 bucks for a new phone every time one comes out.

i swapped my 300 for a 600 a couple of years back when the battery on the 300 was going, so it was a good time.

i use my treo for phone calls, for the PDA (checkbook, calendar, etc etc), light web surfing and email checking, text messaging, and a few other things. i don't need a heavyweight, just something that does what i need it to do, albeit i'd like some improved web surfing (maybe the 680 has that), and a cheaper price than most of the current crop of new Treos.

provided the surfing is better than the 600, this might be the phone for me. functionality, form, and a bit of an upgrade.

not to mention a kick *** hook 'em horns burnt orange color (to the moron that called the color "girly" colors - get over yourself, Studly Do-Right - orange and red are hardly "girly")

Tree
    The true measure of success will be if we see Jack Bauer using the Treo 680 in the new season of 24.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post

In any case, I am glad that pearl works for you. Time will tell if the Treo 680 will do better than the pearl in the market place.
    I can address the better battery comment.

I used my Treo 650 before I bought the Pearl. I also bought the Seidio Extended 2400mAh battery (http://store.treocentral.com/content.../8-37--580.htm). I still would get to about 15% in any given day (using Chatter, Handmark Express, etc.) with moderate to heavy use. Now, using my Pearl in basically the same or similar manner, I get home with more than 1/2 the battery still full. I say, WOW.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post

my bad...the battery life on the Pearl outperforms that of the battery life on my old 700w/wx/motoQ

regards
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    the whole argument about the treo size is crap. i'm seeing more and more ppl using. and according to palm the last quarter was their best, even with the new competition.

the sidekick was/is a success because of price. and it is a huge SOB. So now the pearl and the 680 are coming after this market.
    i don't think so. the 680 is a follower.....i believe the moto-q and perhaps the nokia devices to be first mover types (perhaps nokia first?) in this market segment. as for the size argument being crap, it is not. if it were, the new treo 680 would be larger, not smaller, than its predecessor.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i don't think so. the 680 is a follower.....i believe the moto-q and perhaps the nokia devices to be first mover types (perhaps nokia first?) in this market segment. as for the size argument being crap, it is not. if it were, the new treo 680 would be larger, not smaller, than its predecessor.
    Larger or same size. I agree with you oalvarez. As you've stated, phones are always getting smaller, because that's what people want.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post

But the Sidekick III is smaller (slightly) than the Sidekick 2. They all get smaller all the time. Each new version of a phone model is usually smaller than its predecessor.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234