Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Both of them?
    for the 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske View Post
    As stated before.....this phone is not for us treo 700+ owners or future owners. This phone is aimed at the "sidekick" market. and with a price tag of $199 I see it taking over alot of the sidekick market share. Start throwing in "new contract/service" discounts... this phone can be had for $50 or even free! This will be a huge seller for palm! The sidekick III retails for $349.99 with out contract and $299.99 with new service. I think palm has this phone priced right where it needs to be. Watch you will see these phones all over the place.
    I think you are right on, very well said.
    As stated before.....this phone is not for us treo 700+ owners or future owners. This phone is aimed at the "sidekick" market.
    "Sidekick market." I love it. We used to call this the teeny bopper market. I do not know what it is called now.
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeE View Post
    Why is the Treo still so thick? The Motorola Q is half as thick. What is Palm doing? I have never been so unimpressed and uninspired by a new product launch.

Come on Palm, make it half as thick like the Q and make it black…or are you going to make me wait another 3+ years????
    If thinness is all you are looking for, then Q is for you. What Q lacks is usability - terrible WM UI, no touch screen, no cut and paste, etc.
    some people gladly sacrifice the touchscreen for the improvement in weight. the Q is highly usable, I was using mine until they introduced the Pearl. Some don't need to cut and paste but rather just view. the op sys is hardly terrible, it's simply not as robust as the full-blown WM5.

it's been a big seller for Motorola and for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Both of them?
    Exactly...
    Treo680:
    Feature set: Good
    Price point: Good
    Form factor: LOUSY. It needs to be small, thin, lightweight, like either Q or RAZR. Don't say that it can't be done since prior art shows otherwise.

What we have here is a failure of the imagination...
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    for the 680
    Not both phones, both users.
    whatever makes you happy!
    BUT I HAVE BEEN USED THAT SH1TTY COLOR SINCE 2005?! Seriously though. Palm is just being lazy. They are just reusing the 650/700w/700p body paint. I hate that color so much I will call it the "primer" color.

I have a electric blue mini cooper it would be so cool to have a color matching phone.
    I think I know what is happening at Palm... one of the workers probably bought a copy of Shallow Hal (he probably has a Paltrow fetish)... and now the whole company is infected with distorted vision. Everytime they look at a Treo (600, 650, 700, 750, 680), they see a light, thin, svelte, gorgeous model of a phone, and they're saying to themselves, "What is all the buzz about thin and light ? Here in our beloved Treo is the perfect marriage of thin, svelte form and function. Why can't *everyone see this ???" (please pass the kool-aid)...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    So you're saying that a 680 in black wouldn't have been that disappointing?

The Q is half as think because it doesn't have a touch screen.

Until Access creates a viable new OS, there can't be a non-WM Treo that is much more impressive than the 680.

I know the 680 is a small upgrade at best, but what I can't figure out is why people expected something different today. All the rumors floating around were pretty much spot on.
    The touchscreen part adds very little to the thickness. It's similar in thickness to a couple of layers of plastic film. It does require a controller, but that's just a (very small) extra chip and some discretes. You can take yours apart and see all of this if you have a T5 (teeny) Torx driver.
    That having been said, Yes -- it's too thick. The most recent purchase in our company (yesterday) was a Q. Just like our Treos and Blackberries, I hooked it up to our GoodLink server and off he went. I still prefer my 650, but realistically I know that he's not suffering much.
    John
    You can't cut palm any slack in the form factor department.

After all these years and all these models. It should be thinner and a little less wide.

I have been using a Blackberry Pearl for the last week and I have to say - I am pretty darn impressed.

Palm is just taking too long to innovate these days.
    I hear that Packard Bell is going to release a new 486DX 33MHz PC this year. They are replacing the mouse with a track ball and painting it pink. They also shaved 2mm off the height of the 5.25" floppy drive. I can't wait.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    some people gladly sacrifice the touchscreen for the improvement in weight. the Q is highly usable, I was using mine until they introduced the Pearl. Some don't need to cut and paste but rather just view. the op sys is hardly terrible, it's simply not as robust as the full-blown WM5.

it's been a big seller for Motorola and for a reason.
    No doubt, but there are many others who will not want to make that trade-off. Another key reason that the Q was/is a big seller for motorola is the price. This is a big market with many different segments.

Did you switch from Verizon to Tmobile to just get the Pearl?
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike View Post
    You can't cut palm any slack in the form factor department.

After all these years and all these models. It should be thinner and a little less wide.

I have been using a Blackberry Pearl for the last week and I have to say - I am pretty darn impressed.

Palm is just taking too long to innovate these days.
    Why would you think that the Pearl is such an innovation? Yes, it is small and light, but other than that, there is really nothing special about the phone, hardware or software-wise.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    I just asked my wife which she liked and she said it was too fat. She liked the white color but said she would prefer my Nokia E62 or a Q.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    for everyone ????

non business user will not like its size

too bulky for a phone or an mp3 player
    I agree with the poster, I want sleek cutting edge device w/ 3.2mp camera.

but I really can't fault palm for targetting a new segment of phone users. there really are many non-power user who wants a good smartphone and if its priced 150-199 dollars, I think it will sell well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    Why would you think that the Pearl is such an innovation? Yes, it is small and light, but other than that, there is really nothing special about the phone, hardware or software-wise.
    Blackberry finally got into a smaller package, and still works like the larger Blackberries. That's why.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    So you're saying that a 680 in black wouldn't have been that disappointing?

The Q is half as think because it doesn't have a touch screen.

Until Access creates a viable new OS, there can't be a non-WM Treo that is much more impressive than the 680.

I know the 680 is a small upgrade at best, but what I can't figure out is why people expected something different today. All the rumors floating around were pretty much spot on.
    And the Q is wider to compensate for it being thinner.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast