Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Geezy,
    You may be on to something there. PERHAPS, the delay is due to Palm's desire to incorporate these new OS/Phone/Apps from the 680 into our ROM update? I would give them kudos if that was the case. They may still be working out bugs in those new apps. Either way, it needs to happen soon. I still strongly believe we need one of TreoCentral's great moderators to do us a favor. They should be able to get into contact with someone high up in the Palm organization who would know the real deal about a potential firmware update. This would be an easy way to calm the masses and prevent anybody lighting torches and getting pitchforks out of the barn! So let's go TreoCentral and give all of us dedicated Treo 700P (and former Palm V, Visor, Treo 300, 600 and 650) users some hope. I really don't want to learn a new OS or a new form factor, but I am willing to demo one for 30 days at least if Palm continues to remain silent on this issue.
    d
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDoc View Post
    All,
    This is a reassuring post--similar to ones in the first few days of life for the 700P. Most recent posts have been pretty much defending palm and holding out hope for an update. I personally am not for a class action lawsuit, but I am certain cases have been filed for less substantial causes. I do think we should do a few things first (and REALLY do them not just talk about it on this thread )
    1. Would a moderator PLEASE reply to this thread? Harv? Bueller?
    2. Would a moderator please call and/or email palm and politely ask them when not if an update will be released for the 700p?
    3. If we get a pretty good response (ie--"planned update due by Thanksgiving..."), then we are good to go.
    4. If no response or if we are told an unreasonable date (Feb 07 for example), then would a moderator PLEASE officially post a "Petition Thread" we could "sign" and turn into Palm and multiple other tech sites petitioning for an update ASAP?
    I think these are reasonable first steps. I like my 700P and would love to rec. to my friends and co-workers, but frankly it has been a nightmare compared to my 600 and 650 when it comes to data access issues, "white screen time", cache handling, etc. This could and should be the best Palm phone yet, but it's too unrealiable. I am REALLY thinking about giving myself an early X-mas present with a 700wx if we don't receive an update soon.
    thanks,
    Doug
    I agree to both and second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great idea kudos kudos
    Google is my Best Friend

The Building of the Biggest Software Site EVER!

http://www.treoquestions.org/questions/downloads.php
    I went to the palms foru site and posted a question about the rom update other than that the only way I think for an update is poeple have to start complainng not here but on the palms forum or calling them. I think we need to set up a poll/petion(as stated earlier) here or somewhere else and get the totals send it to palm.

So what I am stating is we need the moderators and the help form all of the treocentral comunity and other sites. So lets get this rolling.

Cause I want to get this ROM update and problems fix NOW. But need help from everyone.

Where can u contact the moderators on this site?
    Google is my Best Friend

the one thing that worries me about a firmware update not being released is that all the internet reviews I've read seems to paint the 700p as being a truly remarkable device with no mention made of any flaws. When the 650 was released, the reviews always mentioned that people who bought the 650 were unhappy with this or that. the only way you would even know the 700p has problems is to read threads like this on TC forum, other than that the palm people will make you feel like any problems you encounter are your own personal problem, not problems shared by other 700p owners.
    garinballbarin
    I'm sticking with my Sprint T650--and skipping the T680 and the T700--until mid-to-late 2007. If the Treo after the T700 still has the Palm OS w/out the ALP or Linux underpinning, I might defect to the Windows Treo.

My T650 is still buggy, but I have a feeling it's much more stable than what most people are experiencing with their T700.

I think its safe to assume that everyone on this thread is biting the bullet until Palm gets its act together. My guess is that by late December the T700 patch will be available.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I have to say, after going through 3 700p's to find a decent one, The 700p is definitely more "stable" then my 650 was. Once I figured out I need to erase Versamail from my device and backup folder, the lag was gone. Add VZW EVDO coming over from Cingular's edge, It is worlds faster and much more usable then my 650 ever was. Voice quality is much better, with no echoing. I'm overall much happier with my 700p.This does not mean things are perfect, and I would like to see some things fixed/improved. That being said, I understand you wanting to hold out till the POS is "really" updated. I also understand the feelingof switching to WM device. Palm needs to get into gear soon, cuz just as the treo became popular we can all switch to something else better If need be.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I think that these bugs would be easier to accept or overlook if our devices had more features...Wifi, Bluetooth 2.0...
    If the 700p came with integrated WiFi these forums would be FILLED with postings/threats/condemnations of the horrendous battery drain that using WiFi had on their phone. That's why WiFi isn't there. That's why it will never be there.
    for me the treo 700p is a great device the only resets I get is once in awhile using LJP but that is expected with the beta verison.
    Most people don't understand that a lot of apps out there is still beta or it depends if u have freeware.
    The main cause of resets is due to some freeware conflict. I guareented the people who purchase all there software that they have minimual of close to zero resets.
    Unless the text messaging is causing u to reset cause the lag is to long to wait out.

But when I recommend a device there are always issues. I would like someone to tell me one device that is perfect and has never need to reset and can do all the functions of a treo and more? There isn't one.

Just I do agree palm needs to very badly update or do something with there old devices. The garent sytem is just to old.

But the treo 700p is a remarkable device. There are what four devices out there that u can have a computer/phone in one device with miniumal defects.

I think it is great and I love my treo 700p.
    Google is my Best Friend

One of the things that everyone needs to keep in mind is that there are bulletin boards like TreoCentral for virtually every cellphone/pda product and all of them are FILLED with people who feel that - for whatever reason - their piece of equipment is either disapointing or useless. You can read the postings on Amazon for most devices and find people who just can't seem to make whatever piece of equipment they have work - then there are others who rave about how the same product has changed their lives. Its an inevitable hue and cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    One of the things that everyone needs to keep in mind is that there are bulletin boards like TreoCentral for virtually every cellphone/pda product and all of them are FILLED with people who feel that - for whatever reason - their piece of equipment is either disapointing or useless. You can read the postings on Amazon for most devices and find people who just can't seem to make whatever piece of equipment they have work - then there are others who rave about how the same product has changed their lives. Its an inevitable hue and cry.
    Tell us something that we don't know.
    I talked to tech suppport within a few weeks after the 700p came out about a problem with Hotsync using MS Outlook and the 700p. Timezones don't synchronize from Outlook to the Treo 700p, even if you have the settings set the correct way in the conduit.

You can check any appointment on your Treo 700p that was synced from Outlook. It won't have any timezone set with it.

On the 650, it would transfer the timezone with the appointment. So if all my appointments are created in Mountain time, the timezone would come across. Then when you travel, alarms for appts would change based on timezones.

Palm admitted there was a bug after going to their 3rd tier engineering. They said it would be fixed in a software update. This was a long time ago.

I've been using Datebk6 to overcome limitations in the Palm software. Hmmm... Sounds like half the apps on my Treo 700p are to fix deficiencies in the software.

I also talked to Palm and Plantronics about bluetooth connectivity issues on the Treo 700p. Supposedly, Plantronics has talked to Palm about some of the problems with their headsets (510). Palm is aware there is a problem.

This will probably be my last Palm device, unless things get better quickly. I'm also pretty pissed that all these new devices keep coming out with no fixes for the 700p.
    hmmm...i am not sure i am on the right thread. i was looking for the "anyone else pissed they are still selling new cars while mine is in the repair shop and hasn't been fixed" thread.

one has nothing to do with the other. i do want my car...er...treo fixed...but i don't think stopping new production/models is going to speed that up.
    that may be but there is lemon law requiring the recall and fixation of problems created from a poor line of automobile..

not a very good analogy
    This will be my last Palm Treo............... I've been dealing with the this crap from them since the Treo 180!

Nothing like letting the user be the beta testers on a $600+ device..... Know there is problems............. and just sit on your fat a$$e$ and do nothing to correct the problem(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    If the 700p came with integrated WiFi these forums would be FILLED with postings/threats/condemnations of the horrendous battery drain that using WiFi had on their phone. That's why WiFi isn't there. That's why it will never be there.
    Interesting point indeed, but I am sure people who utilize WiFi, EV-DO, or any media app would understand the negative afftect it would have on battery life. I think this forum is directed more towards the realistic expectations to have the basics work. WiFi isnt basic, and those who know about WiFi would know that battery life is affected during use.
    Last edited by BMIC50; 10/16/2006 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by macsteroni View Post
    that may be but there is lemon law requiring the recall and fixation of problems created from a poor line of automobile..

not a very good analogy
    thanks for furthering my point. what % of cars in a repair shop turn out to be lemons? if you think your phone is a lemon, you may have a bad phone. if you take away all the problems associated with 3rd party software, i don't think that there are a majority of phones that are lemons out there. do they need a firmware update for this phone? sure they do.

and car manufactors don't stop making other models because one model has lemons.

releasing new phones has nothing to do with the problems associated with the 700p. and, as someone else so wisely pointed out, there are phone forums all over the web and all of the hi tech phones have the same complaints over and over. my last phone was an a900 samsung. it was FULL of bugs when it came out and people kicked and screamed on their boards.
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt
    and car manufactors don't stop making other models because one model has lemons.
    At least the car manufacturers acknowledge when there is a problem with their products and put a plan in place to fix them (TSB, recall, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt
    releasing new phones has nothing to do with the problems associated with the 700p.
    May be a little early to say that. We'll see if the 680 folks have the same issues!
    Dude, it's a phone... let's get a grip here -

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCPA View Post
    At least the car manufacturers acknowledge when there is a problem with their products and put a plan in place to fix them (TSB, recall, etc)

May be a little early to say that. We'll see if the 680 folks have the same issues!
    -jscott
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj View Post
    Dude, it's a phone... let's get a grip here -
    It is a phone, but its also a $600 phone. I'm just hoping that this isn't Palm's version of the Ford Pinto. I'll make sure I don't let anything run into the battery hard to be on the safe side.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    thanks for furthering my point. what % of cars in a repair shop turn out to be lemons? if you think your phone is a lemon, you may have a bad phone. if you take away all the problems associated with 3rd party software, i don't think that there are a majority of phones that are lemons out there. do they need a firmware update for this phone? sure they do.

releasing new phones has nothing to do with the problems associated with the 700p. and, as someone else so wisely pointed out, there are phone forums all over the web and all of the hi tech phones have the same complaints over and over. my last phone was an a900 samsung. it was FULL of bugs when it came out and people kicked and screamed on their boards.
    your line of reasoning is retarded! if car manufacturers released vehicles of quality comparable to the buginess of new phones, i can guarantee there would be lawsuits

car manufacturers dont stop making new cars when there are lemons, but they recall and correct or they get sued and fined
    Last edited by macsteroni; 10/16/2006 at 10:14 PM.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast