Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    is this new Treo worth it? What would it take for you to buy it? I moved on to WM and Symbian because there hadn't been anything new for us GSM folks in so long. Now I don't know if this is good enough to get me back to Treos. What do you guys think?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    The only thing that would have me more excieted about the Treo 680 would be of course if it had WIFI. But I knew better than to expect that to happen so I am quite pleased with the device and plan to get one as soon as it comes out. I am not a big fan of the colors, although the white one looked like it could be ok... Since I am going to try to get a discount through Cingular it doesn't really matter since the colors are only available through the unlocked versions. I hope the Cingular version has the key colors invered like on the 750v.
    No UMTS, no Wi-Fi, crippled bluetooth. Not worth waiting for. Time to move on to WM5 and another line of phones. Ptooey.
    Jer 23:29
    After having a couple of WM5 devices and a Treo 650, I think the 680 is kind of a step back. If I was still using a 650 there is no way I would move to this device. I will wait for the 750.
    As a Treo 650 owner, there is no reason for me to get this device. Though I am really unhappy that Palm still has not launched a higher end GSM device (like the 750v) here in Canada, I understand why they are offering the 680. It can certainly be a Q killer, and can bring a great PDA to the mass market. Now, Palm, please look after your long time loyal users, don't force us to go elsewhere because we have no other choice.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I only see an upside. I'm still using a Samsung i500. The three of us still in the world have been waiting for an afordable Palm OS upgrade phone and the Treo 680 is it. It's all pro and no con to me!
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i like the feature that allows us to respond to a phone call with a text message. i am a retired 68 year old who has owned every treo and i do not need all of the features that many of you require. i am looking forward to getting the 680.
    morris stalk
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    After having a couple of WM5 devices and a Treo 650, I think the 680 is kind of a step back. If I was still using a 650 there is no way I would move to this device. I will wait for the 750.
    But this phone is not for people like you and me...it is for people who have never bought and/or used a smartphone before. For that purpose, I think this phone hit the mark.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    If I can get it unlocked directly from Palm for $200 or less, I'll definitely get one, even though I already have a 650. If Cingular has a branded one that I can pick up for $150 or less without going back to a two-year agreement, and the color scheme doesn't suck, I'll consider that.

I think more internal memory, the slightly sleeker form-factor, and the new enhancements to the phone app are worth it to me. It's equal to or better than the 650 in every way, if only by a slight margin.

I can understand why all of the die-hard technogeeks here are disappointed in the 680, but considering that Garnet can't do 3G anyway, what POS GSM Treo could have made any of you happy?

The 750 will come to the U.S. soon enough. Remember, they said the 680 was the last new Treo to be announced this year, but making the 750 available to other carriers doesn't count as a new Treo.

If you are willing to jump to WM5, the 750 will be your ticket.

I think the 680 stands to be the best-selling Treo ever, and that's a good thing for all of us. The more people that buy into the Smartphone concept, the faster the prices will go down. If Palm just keeps catering to the über-nerds, the target audience is never going to grow.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a CDMA version of the 680 in 6 months or less. If they really want to appeal to the masses, they have to have one for every major carrier. Keep bundling good apps, market it the right way, and keep the price under $200, and there's no reason the 680 won't appeal to a great deal of new users who've never even considered a smartphone before.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    What exactly is "low cost" about this device. I don't see much difference between this and a 700P (other than GSM, of course)
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    What exactly is "low cost" about this device. I don't see much difference between this and a 700P (other than GSM, of course)
    Well, the 700p is capable of much faster data speeds, thanks to EVDO. Since Garnet can't do the GSM equivalent, the 680 is limited to EDGE speeds. That's a big factor for some people. But considering how expensive EVDO is, I doubt I'd want to pay for that faster speed myself, anyway.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    EVDO pricing isn't bad on Sprint. Especially if you get a SERO plan, but it all depends on what carrier provides good service in your area(s).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    LOL @ no reset button. If this device is as stable as the 650, then the battery connectors are going to be shot from people constantly removing and replacing the battery to reset it.

"No reset button is necessary. One need only wait a short while, and the device will reset on its own." - Ed Fooligan

I'm a future 750 owner, so I don't really care about this device. I'm just mad that it looks too much like the 750. I wish they would have done something (besides the gaudy colors) to differentiate them. Having your top-of-the-line device look virtually identical to your bottom-of-the-line device is not a smart business move.
    I'll play the contrary role here. I think if you don't need 3G speeds, or bluetooth dialing, then it's pretty neat. I think it was the potential for greatly increasing the number of Treo users. I think it would be really good for my wife.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    is this new Treo worth it? What would it take for you to buy it? I moved on to WM and Symbian because there hadn't been anything new for us GSM folks in so long. Now I don't know if this is good enough to get me back to Treos. What do you guys think?
    Not for me. I want the WM5 with wifi option.
    That's why I'm waiting for the 750.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    As a Treo 650 owner, there is no reason for me to get this device. Though I am really unhappy that Palm still has not launched a higher end GSM device (like the 750v) here in Canada, I understand why they are offering the 680. It can certainly be a Q killer, and can bring a great PDA to the mass market. Now, Palm, please look after your long time loyal users, don't force us to go elsewhere because we have no other choice.
    Please! Please! You are a nice person. Please do not hold your breath.
    OK. True confessions time here. I've been banging the drum for wifi since 10 minutes after forever.

Now I have the T-Mobile SDA that I'm test driving. It has wifi. Guess what. I don't bother with it. Maybe that's because it is a small screen/no keyboard device, though. I don't know.

So "maybe" there are enough people out there who will buy the 680 without wifi.

Me, I want the 750. With wifi.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I like it. I think it continues on the Palm OS and its all really about FORM Factor..
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    No reset button???? I had not see that mentioned before ...

Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    LOL @ no reset button. If this device is as stable as the 650, then the battery connectors are going to be shot from people constantly removing and replacing the battery to reset it.

"No reset button is necessary. One need only wait a short while, and the device will reset on its own." - Ed Fooligan
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast