Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    I'm a long time 650 user, and I am seriously considering the 680 as a replacement for the following reasons, which I hope are valid/true:
    1. all/most of my hw accessories are compatible, i.e., cradles, car kits, etc
    2. replace my flaky headset jack
    3. get more memory
    4. last but no least get Kinoma 3 EX that is the same as in the 700P, which would allow listening to internet radio that stream WMA format (.asx)
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyfur View Post
    I'd like to chime in with all the other 600 users that have said the 680 looks like a great upgrade. I hadn't gone for the 650 (or any of the newer mindows mobile treo variants) due to price. If the 680 sells for cheap then there's no reason for me not to get it. And I think there's a large market out there that would be interested in this type of device. Not everyone is a power user, look at all the sidekicks out there. Palm could have a winner on their hands if they can get enough carriers on board.

I'm looking in your direction T-Mobile...
    (and having an affordable voice/data combo plan like the sidekick used to would make this EXPONENTIALLY more appealing)
    Well, perhaps. However, the business plan relies upon carriers to sponsor the phone. So far no carriers have done that. Meanwhile they keep rolling out alternatives that take up more and more of their "shelf" space.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    I'm a long time 650 user, and I am seriously considering the 680 as a replacement for the following reasons, which I hope are valid/true:
    1. all/most of my hw accessories are compatible, i.e., cradles, car kits, etc
    2. replace my flaky headset jack
    3. get more memory
    4. last but no least get Kinoma 3 EX that is the same as in the 700P, which would allow listening to internet radio that stream WMA format (.asx)
    I just upgraded to 680..... posts that is...
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    The 680 is still vaporware. Still not offered for sale by anyone at any price for delivery ever. Perry, where are you?
    where oh where has our little perry gone, where oh where can he be.....
    There is one "deal-stopper" for me regarding upgrading from a Cingular 650 to a 680. I believe the 680 has a smaller, lower capacity battery. Chatter is the main reason I have the 650, and less battery power would entail making some compromises. Is there a bigger capacity battery available for the 680, or is one planned?
    Pros:
    Upgrades: Bluetooth 1.2, 3x Memory, Upgraded Blazer (actaully works), No antenna, new home screen. Other minor UI tweaks????
    Cons: No 3G, no camera upgrade.
    Also, at $425 for Cingular no commitment price, I'm not sure the upgrades justify the
    If I was sticking with PalmOS, I'd probabally upgrade from the 650 to the 680.
    But I want 3G and the capabilities of WM5 which I've come to appreciate with the Cingular 8125... so I'm getting the 750.

I'm just not sure these upgrades are worth $425 (Cingular no commitment price.) Perhaps if I was getting a subsidy upgrade.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002 View Post
    The 680 is still vaporware. Still not offered for sale by anyone at any price for delivery ever. Perry, where are you?
    Heheh think you missed his point there... he has 680 posts here on the forums. Well I thought it was funny at least... until he posts again and it's 681.
    Treo 180 > Treo 600 > ?? Treo 680 ??

bought my unlocked 600 for about $125 on ebay. Another $15 got me a 1800 battery. Runs the apps I need -- pocket tunes, blazer, and snapper mail -- flawlessly. I am seeing nothing here that would would make me want to fork over $425.
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyfur View Post
    Heheh think you missed his point there... he has 680 posts here on the forums. Well I thought it was funny at least... until he posts again and it's 681.
    You are right, I did miss the number of posts.
    Ok guys, maybe a silly question but I'll ask it anyway...will a wi-fi card be usable on the 680? That would be a pro for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by catchamental View Post
    Ok guys, maybe a silly question but I'll ask it anyway...will a wi-fi card be usable on the 680? That would be a pro for me.
    Never. Gonna. Happen. Folks, forget Palm OS + WiFi. Especially on this model with a side-mounted door for the memory card, one that closes so no part of the card is exposed.
    For me
    Pros.
    1. antenna-less
    2. lighter and slimmer form
    3. other upgrade is so-so.
    Con.
    1. no dial-up networking via USB sync cable
    2. battery only 1200 mAh (1800->1200)
    3. camera only 0.3 megapixel why not 1.3 megapixel.
    Palm offer old technology 2-3 years ago with new price?

nevertheless,
    If price unlocked Treo680 not more than $399 It's ok. I will purchase it.
    Last edited by jojoe; 10/29/2006 at 03:32 PM.
    Speculation, but if they're selling the locked version with no contract for $425(check other threads for the Cingular memo), I'm not sure about the unlocked being only $400. I think perhaps $550. But maybe Palm will have sense enough to sell it for $450-$500 if they really want to make a lot of sales on their colored models, which it seems only they will sell. Although once it's released and importers get their hands on it, you might be able to find it for $400.

On another note, Cingular has a terrible habit of selling locked no contract phones at almost the unlocked rate. I wouldn't even give them $425 for locked phone. I guess they think people don't research prices, but often you get almost ripped off buying a no contract full price phone from Cingular.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jojoe View Post
    .........If price unlocked Treo680 not more than $399 It's ok. I will purchase it.
    lol

Perry, where are you?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    The 680 is the only realistic option for the UK - the 700's look fine EXCEPT they are either Windows or tied to a carrier. I would go back to paper and pen before moving to Windows, and I want an unlocked phone. Hence the 680 is the only choice.

It doesn't seem much of an upgrade from my 650 - but I've had that from day one - its battered but still working - just. Headphone jack u/s, won't charge properly cos the connecter is flakey. So I was going to buy a new 650 anyway. The really good news is the 680 has no antenna and looks like it is gonna come in cheaper than the 650 .... why is that??
    Quote Originally Posted by philmair View Post
    The 680 is the only realistic option for the UK - the 700's look fine EXCEPT they are either Windows or tied to a carrier. I would go back to paper and pen before moving to Windows, and I want an unlocked phone. Hence the 680 is the only choice.

It doesn't seem much of an upgrade from my 650 - but I've had that from day one - its battered but still working - just. Headphone jack u/s, won't charge properly cos the connecter is flakey. So I was going to buy a new 650 anyway. The really good news is the 680 has no antenna and looks like it is gonna come in cheaper than the 650 .... why is that??
    Sounds to me like you are talking replacement, not upgrade.

In the US one cannot say 680 and "realistic" in the same sentence. It is not offered for sale here. If it is not shipping in the UK, that does not sound very realistic either. As far as I am concerned the 680 is simply Palm playing its little games.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    In the US one cannot say 680 and "realistic" in the same sentence. It is not offered for sale here. If it is not shipping in the UK, that does not sound very realistic either. As far as I am concerned the 680 is simply Palm playing its little games.
    All manufactures does this, even Apple announces products that they can not deliver now. iTV? the intel xserve, ... It's both annoying and delightfull that they tell us about stuff in advance.

I think i prefer them to keep their mouth shut until they can deliver, even though i might end up buying the old product the day before the new was announced.

But the opposite is just too annoying, waiting 3, 6, .. 12 months before i can actually buy the stuff. <homer> but i want it now
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567