Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Can someone explain to me what a CDMA phone is like? From the sound of it, those phones have no SIM Card and can only be used with a single telecommunication network (whoever sold the phone to you)?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I disagree somewhat. But I guess it depends on your definition of newbie.

How about those newbies(as in students, those who just got a job, etc.) who wanted or needed a competent smartphone but couldn't afford the 650? If anyone wanted the 650 but had no $400 or more to get it, they may take this IMO. Now if you mean newbie entirely, as in someone who barely knows what a smartphone even is, I agree they may go for the "cuter" phones. But Sidekicks are even clunkier and still selling. I wonder.
    Let's face it guys. The cost of the phone pales when compared to the cost of the service. That is why the carriers are happy to discount the manufacturers recommended retail price.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Can someone explain to me what a CDMA phone is like? From the sound of it, those phones have no SIM Card and can only be used with a single telecommunication network (whoever sold the phone to you)?
    That is about the size of it. That also means that any time one buys a new phone, one must go through provisioning and setup again. [The carriers might ease this some by facilitating self-provisioning via the web, however, they show no inclination to do so.]

In theory, it is possible to provision a CDMA phone on any CDMA carrier. However, as a practical matter, the carriers do not cooperate.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I think that you are a little optimistic. In his TV Interview, Colagan said that he hoped carriers would sell the phone as llow as $200-. That does not sound like "free" to me. Look at the price that Palm has on the 650. I think Collagan wants the carriers to subsidize Palm, not the consumer.
    I am not optimistic or pessimistic, just quoting the WSJ article referenced in the link. Of course the author could have been remiss in his reporting.

"Exactly what the Treo 680 will cost, Palm hasn't yet confirmed. Today's Wall Street Journal pegs it at $199. Rather than relying entirely on carriers, Palm will sell the 680 direct off its website."
    I guess it could be $199 (after carrier rebates) but that's not what it said and that would be poor reporting. It also referes to palm selling it off its web site and doesn't give a different price. But hey poor reporting is not exactly uncommon these days.

Truth be told, I don't think Palm would want the thing going "for free" as it would make it sound cheap. If the other ones are $600 - $650 phones selling for $400, then I would think this would be a $400 selling for $150 - $200. With carriers now offering up to $259 cash back, that's a $140 Xmas present which is in the ideal range for most people as they can buy one thing and cross that person off their shopping list.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Ok here's what I want to know, with the 650, the data speed is suppose to be = to dial up. however, what is the differece between what the 650 has and the speed of the 680, which has edge technology and the speed of the evdo?
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1772935,00.asp

Click the test results link on above link

But more importantly, go to a few local stores to try out an EVDO phone and don't rely on so called "coverage maps" or carrier claims. The closest brick and mortar to me stopped carrying Sprint phones because they can't get any Sprint signal at the store. My county has 1.6 million people (22nd largest cell phone market in USA) so not exactly boonies. Having an EVDO phone requires that you have an EVDO signal to take advanatge of EVDO speeds.

Personally, EVDO and HSDPA are non events to me. ANything I want on my phone is fine at EDGE speeds. Mutlimedia / video streaming / lage file downloads.....not interested in it oina 2" screen nor at 700 kpbs speeds. I want anything big, I'll go for efficiency and use my laptop's 28,900 kbps connection.

Of course same is true of Cingular's HSDPA. After a very aggressive start last year, the HSDPA rollout seems to have stalled which is why it wasn't all that important for the 680 to have HSDPA.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    You just reminded me that I pay T-Mo $40- a month for Wi-Fi that I am never able to log on to; failed in two different airports this w/e. (Must always call customer support and get the local IP address. More than half of the calls to hotspot customer support roll to cellular support and then hang when one cannot enter a 10-digit cell phone number.) Thanks.
    I used to be with T-mo until I switched to cingular. For about 10 months Cingular forced me to buy a data plan because I had a 650, so I bought the 5mb one for $20 (lowest cost) and wasted my money. I could basically only load a couple of pages before my plan was all used up. The only way I could see paying for a data plan was if it were less than $10 per month for unlimited use...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    I used to be with T-mo until I switched to cingular. For about 10 months Cingular forced me to buy a data plan because I had a 650, so I bought the 5mb one for $20 (lowest cost) and wasted my money.
    I have Cingular and thats what i pay for unlimited.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    For those of us who held out on going to the Treo 650 and stuck with our 600's, I think the 680 is going to be a wonderful improvment. At the time the 650 came out, I had only had my 600 about 3 months and couldn't justify spending the big bucks again for just a more graphical screen. I also don't have much need for a lot of bluetooth functionality or high speed internet on my PDA/phone. So this might be a nice stepping stone for me before laying out a larger investment for the 750.
    Enjoy what you do, or do something else!
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    My 600 almost never resets - unless I reset it. But I'll be upgrading to a 680 due to the better screen, edge speeds, additional memory, newer software, plus other goodies. Bring it on!
    pretty much where i'm at. i've got the 600, and held off on upgrading because i wasn't really interested in dropping 5 bills on another phone.

if the price is right on this one - ideally under 200 - then i'll certainly upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    I used to be with T-mo until I switched to cingular. For about 10 months Cingular forced me to buy a data plan because I had a 650, so I bought the 5mb one for $20 (lowest cost) and wasted my money. I could basically only load a couple of pages before my plan was all used up. The only way I could see paying for a data plan was if it were less than $10 per month for unlimited use...
    Sign up with Cingular with a dumb phone; buy unlimted data for $20; plug in your sim into a unlocked Treo.

All 4 US carrier has loopholes for cheap data plan, even draaconian carriers like Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Sign up with Cingular with a dumb phone; buy unlimted data for $20; plug in your sim into a unlocked Treo.

All 4 US carrier has loopholes for cheap data plan, even draaconian carriers like Verizon.

yeah thats great and all, but dont you have to pay more for the unlocked Treo, making it not pay for itself for 2 years (if the cost is around $499 unlocked) with this loop hole, no?
    When I had a 650 that I purchased from Cingular, I had the $20 unlimited media net plan added without an issue. If they try to sell you on another plan, refuse and insist on the $20 plan.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Minarets View Post
    yeah thats great and all, but dont you have to pay more for the unlocked Treo, making it not pay for itself for 2 years (if the cost is around $499 unlocked) with this loop hole, no?
    Cingular subsidize the phone for you, it doesn't matter what phone it is. Just pick a phone that has the highest resell price on ebay.

Yeah you have to work on it if you want cheap plans.
    i thought Cingular was offering a $20 unlimited data plan....
    Quote Originally Posted by Minarets View Post
    i thought Cingular was offering a $20 unlimited data plan....
    They stopped offering that plan quite a long time ago...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
    They stopped offering that plan quite a long time ago...
    I still have it and it still appears on their website in my wife's account setup
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    MediaMAX 200 is available with unlimited data for $19.99

www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    MediaMAX 200 is available with unlimited data for $19.99

www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase
    If you got it while it was still available, of course, you still have it. Try buying a new Treo today and you will notice this is NOT an option. You can only choose from the Data Connect packages.

I got it way back when, and the month after I got it they got rid of the unlimited data for $19.99 for TREOS. They have "tried" to change it a couple of times, and every time I have to call and argue and get them to put it back the way it was. But for NEW activations you are out of luck.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
    If you got it while it was still available, of course, you still have it. Try buying a new Treo today and you will notice this is NOT an option. You can only choose from the Data Connect packages.
    I have been hearing that line for two years and there's numerous threads on the subject. If you walk into a brick and mortar and buy the phone, you won't have a problem. If you buy it from a knowledgeable provider you won't have a problem. If you call Cingular and say you don't need VPN, you won't have a problem. If you go here you might have a problem

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

as I did after cancelling MediNet and trying to add MediaMax just recently. So I called and spoke to a CSR. She did ask what type of phone I had, she did recommend that I go to a dataconnect package but when I said I had no need for VPN, she said "ah you don't need it then" and cheerily added MediaMax to my account....she even sent a test message to check that it was working and stayed on the line to make sure I had rec'd it before hanging up.
    I'd like to chime in with all the other 600 users that have said the 680 looks like a great upgrade. I hadn't gone for the 650 (or any of the newer mindows mobile treo variants) due to price. If the 680 sells for cheap then there's no reason for me not to get it. And I think there's a large market out there that would be interested in this type of device. Not everyone is a power user, look at all the sidekicks out there. Palm could have a winner on their hands if they can get enough carriers on board.

I'm looking in your direction T-Mobile...
    (and having an affordable voice/data combo plan like the sidekick used to would make this EXPONENTIALLY more appealing)
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast