Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 138
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcgill View Post
    epocrates can now be run frin a media card (thats what my 600 does now)
    If you have a PC and not a Mac, and my understanding is that only parts of it run from a card.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by RonlTreo View Post
    If you have a PC and not a Mac, and my understanding is that only parts of it run from a card.

    Quite right
    Epocrates and memory card support

    But I would welcome real Ram anytime. It would be much faster.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbd517 View Post
    Priotreo, what data plan do you have, and what's the limit?
    I have T-Zone. It is now called T-MobileWeb and costs a dollar more. It has no limits on data. To top it, it allows international data roaming for free where T-Mobile USA has agreements with cell phone service providers. For example, in Germany with T-Mobile-DE, and in South Africa with MTN.

    On the down side, almost all the ports are blocked except those for email and port 8080. Port 8080 is open only for T-Mobile's own proxy web server. So one has to set up the proxy setting in Blazer or any other program that uses the http protocol and port 80 (the usual port for web browsing). Needless to say port 80 is blocked. So one cannot browse the web without the proxy.

    It uses EDGE where available (almost everywhere) or falls back on GPRS. I have seen 128 kbps to 19 kbps speed. That is another limit. Remember these are 2G data protocols. If there is no actual data movement voice calls will come through even if there is a latent data connection.

    JAVA based web application work as long as they use http, such as the Opera browser. This is because one can set the proxy setting in the Java's option.

    Verichat works. There is a special version where you can set the proxy.

    What does not work: Any program that uses http but does not allow an option to set the proxy server won't work. For example, the brand new Google Maps for Palm. Any application that needs other ports open won't work. For example, FTP, shh, streaming audio through Pocket Tune Deluxe etc.

    Some programs can automatically check for updates, such as Pocket Tunes. This feature does not work and can be turned off.

    It has been said that information sent through secure web pages may not be secure as there is no encryption between the Treo and T-Mobile's proxy server. That is another limitation.

    Forget VPN. If you need it, T-zone (now T-MobileWeb) won't do you any good.

    It is OK for light web browsing. For example, reading Treocentral discussions and occational posts from the Treo. It is great for emails, IMAP or POP. I use the default Versamail with Gmail and it is fine for light use once you get used to Versamail's querks.

    Thats all I can think of right now.

    Hope it helps.
    Last edited by PrioTreo; 10/16/2006 at 12:26 PM.
    Prio Treo
    Unlocked Unbranded Treo 650 on T-Mobile-T-Zone
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbd517 View Post
    Priotreo, what data plan do you have, and what's the limit? Also, for the crash prone among us, I'd like to recommend a lovely little freeware app called Stability Test from http://www.fly-zip.com/flyzip/downloads/StabilityTest/
    It works really well- it basically takes all of your software and puts it through a stress test. I usually have tons of different apps on the phone itself and my sd card (treo 600 that's dying due to way too many drops- hanging on til the unlocked 680 is available), and when I'm constantly adding/removing programs, it helps a lot.
    Thanks. However, my Treo 650 which indeed crashes once or twice a day did pass the stability test. My crashes mostly occur with Blazer and I loose the saved preferences. I have learned to live with it, by copying the saved preferences to the card and moving it back after the crash. Still, some settings do not get saved, such as on-cradle-on, key guard, key caps, and the security settings. I knew it was a bad omen when one and half years ago I received my first Treo 650, turned it on (brand new out of the box, no software, not synced yet) and it promptly reset itself within the first two minutes of its life while it was sitting idle next to me.
  5. tuyulaneh's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #85  
    Im currently lost between this and the treo 680. Having previously used most hign end PDA's (currently having the 838 pro and o2 Exec), im currently confused between my next PDA phone. The reason im using the hermes and exec is funny for you power users, because weirdly i dont use 3G, no web browing no push emails etc. Just standard games and sms and lots of phone calls and picture viewing. So i bought these devices just because they are the latest in technology without knowing their capabilities.

    As most of you know, these devices are not very user friendly!! Its hard to reply to short text messages and even more difficult for calling (especially the o2 exec). Thus planning on my next phone between 750v and 680.

    what i require to use is

    -lots of sms
    -lots of calls
    -lots of alarm clocks
    -abit calender
    -screen brightness and quality (is the screen really that far between 240-240 n 320-320? how bout brightness as the execs brightness is crappy even though its VGA)
    -nicer UI in terms of design and user friendlyness. As imentioned im not a power user just games etc.
    -no use for camera as i have digicam. Camera just need good enough for on screen viewing
    -no use of 3G or HSPDA or edge etc (GPRS is enough for me)
    -no use of email capabilities
    -must have good build quality
    -geekness factor!!! Thats the reason im buying all these devices instead of the N series. I cant live without touch screen!!
    -price is not an issue. Actually 750v is more expensive which is better because less people would be having it

    Thats it guys please i need your opinions before deciding one. Not that its released at the moment anyway but i cant wait to replace my o2 EXEC!!!
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Nothing says 2002 like a mobil device with WiFi. Nothing says 2006 like a device with EVDO.
    yeah if you want to pay 60 dollars a month just to surf the web and check email on the go...
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    yeah if you want to pay 60 dollars a month just to surf the web and check email on the go...
    You just reminded me that I pay T-Mo $40- a month for Wi-Fi that I am never able to log on to; failed in two different airports this w/e. (Must always call customer support and get the local IP address. More than half of the calls to hotspot customer support roll to cellular support and then hang when one cannot enter a 10-digit cell phone number.) Thanks.
  8. #88  
    I just don't get some of these comments. I am a veteran 650 user - consider myself a "power user" at that, and I think the 680 is an EXCELLENT step forward. Count me in for one. The extra memory alone is worth the price of admission (which at $200, is nice). Sleeker, no antenna, updated apps - several months ago I had to buy a new 650 to replace mine (which I got into the pool with - long story) and paid about $400. OUCH!

    I think this debate goes back to the eternal "power users" vs. "consumers" argument. I just don't see why this device is seen as "entry level" when it can kick the 650's behind all over the place. Sure, its "just" GSM, but Palm is doing the right thing expanding their market share, targeting new customers, and giving us old 650ers a good, cheap replacement path.

    Thanks Palm! Where can I get one!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  9. #89  
    I have had a 650 for about a year now no resets no real problems except now and then I can't get to the call log. As die hard palm user I like the 680 it's alot like the 650. I just hope I can use the romtool on it and make appropriate changes to customize it. I think that if they can really offer it at under $200.00 that price makes it kind of affordable and I can take the gamble and get it. I mean most of us who own used GSM 650s that didn't get them with a plan paid more than that when we got them.
    And besides I can always go back to my 650 and then I have a back up if something happens to my 650.
    I'd also like to have WiFi and and the option to use a 4 gig card in the 680 but heck you can't always have everything.

    bernie
    The Bernster
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
    I just don't get some of these comments. I am a veteran 650 user - consider myself a "power user" at that, and I think the 680 is an EXCELLENT step forward. Count me in for one. The extra memory alone is worth the price of admission (which at $200, is nice).....
    The extra memory might well be worth $200-. However, and I hate to be the one to disillusion you, the $200- price is not for you. It is for the newbie. Established customers pay retail.

    We are to hope that, before you get the $200- price, we all have a better choice.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
    I just don't get some of these comments. I just don't see why this device is seen as "entry level" when it can kick the 650's behind all over the place. ......
    Please do not mistake me. For all kinds of reasons, I have paid a premium for every advance in Palm technology since the first Palm. I wish that I could do the same for the 680. However, I do not expect Palm to make any alllowance in price for my loyalty and I am not going to pay full boat for the memory that I expected in the 650 for $750-.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Please do not mistake me. For all kinds of reasons, I have paid a premium for every advance in Palm technology since the first Palm. I wish that I could do the same for the 680. However, I do not expect Palm to make any alllowance in price for my loyalty and I am not going to pay full boat for the memory that I expected in the 650 for $750-.
    Good point. I don't see the 680 as a giant leap forward either, more of a "refresh" if you will, and a product aimed at expanding Palm's market share. I now understand the $200 price point - thanks for clarifying that. I guess I'll pick up a used on on eBay after a bit then, because I too am not paying $400 again for more memory and a sleeker form factor. I was just a bit confused as to the many negative comments putting down this product, when at a $200 price point even for newbies only and for a product that is superior to the 650, sounds pretty good to me.

    However, if I decide to get into the pool with my 650 AGAIN, then I see a 680 in my more immediate future...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  13. #93  
    One thing I don't like about soft resetting by taking out the battery is that it takes you into preferences screen for setting the time whereas the reset button would take you to the phone app...minor but not as useful IMO
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  14. jlczl's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
       #94  
    IMO, this phone is not a good choice even for a newbie. My wife would be considered a newbie and eventhough she liked the "arctic" color she thought it was too "fat". Not "phat" as in cool but fat as in too big. She would just use basic PIM functions, some e-mail and MAYBE a few 3rd party apps if any. After seeing the Motorola Q, the Nokia E62, the upcoming Samsung, the Blackberry Pearl, and the T-Mobile Dash....... the Treo 680 came in DEAD LAST in her opinion. So even from the eyes of a newbie I don't believe this is going to be a homerun (not even close).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

    Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  15. #95  
    Hi all,

    I have 2 questions for all of you. I hae a spritn 650, (also had a 300 and a 600). Love the phone, but HATE SPRINT'S ROTTEN CUSTOMER SERVICE).

    Ok here's what I want to know, with the 650, the data speed is suppose to be = to dial up. however, what is the differece between what the 650 has and the speed of the 680, which has edge technology and the speed of the evdo?

    Since I do not use that much data time, I can live with a slower speed and I understand that Edo is VERY expensive to use, (as 10/06).

    2. I am a bit confused where it states that the 680 will be multi banded. Does that mean that if I buy an unlocked one, can I literally change companies without having to change phones>? (currently i am thinking of selling my 650 just to get way from sprint, should I then consider the 700p or the 680?? thanks take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  16. #96  
    680 is GSM not CDMA and has the same speed (EDGE) as the 650
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  17. #97  
    Thanks a million, take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
    I just don't get some of these comments. I am a veteran 650 user - consider myself a "power user" at that, and I think the 680 is an EXCELLENT step forward. Count me in for one. The extra memory alone is worth the price of admission (which at $200, is nice). Sleeker, no antenna, updated apps - several months ago I had to buy a new 650 to replace mine (which I got into the pool with - long story) and paid about $400. OUCH!

    I think this debate goes back to the eternal "power users" vs. "consumers" argument. I just don't see why this device is seen as "entry level" when it can kick the 650's behind all over the place. Sure, its "just" GSM, but Palm is doing the right thing expanding their market share, targeting new customers, and giving us old 650ers a good, cheap replacement path.

    Thanks Palm! Where can I get one!
    Palm implies it's entry level for the consumer. Maybe that's why people are saying that. I do see the 680 as a replacement for the 650.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    IMO, this phone is not a good choice even for a newbie. My wife would be considered a newbie and eventhough she liked the "arctic" color she thought it was too "fat". Not "phat" as in cool but fat as in too big. She would just use basic PIM functions, some e-mail and MAYBE a few 3rd party apps if any. After seeing the Motorola Q, the Nokia E62, the upcoming Samsung, the Blackberry Pearl, and the T-Mobile Dash....... the Treo 680 came in DEAD LAST in her opinion. So even from the eyes of a newbie I don't believe this is going to be a homerun (not even close).
    I disagree somewhat. But I guess it depends on your definition of newbie.

    How about those newbies(as in students, those who just got a job, etc.) who wanted or needed a competent smartphone but couldn't afford the 650? If anyone wanted the 650 but had no $400 or more to get it, they may take this IMO. Now if you mean newbie entirely, as in someone who barely knows what a smartphone even is, I agree they may go for the "cuter" phones. But Sidekicks are even clunkier and still selling. I wonder.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    .....................2. I am a bit confused where it states that the 680 will be multi banded. Does that mean that if I buy an unlocked one, can I literally change companies without having to change phones>? (currently i am thinking of selling my 650 just to get way from sprint, should I then consider the 700p or the 680?? thanks take care, Jay
    It means that you can change from one GSM carrier to another without changing phones. It does not mean that you can change from CDMA to GSM or even one CDMA carrier to another.

    I think that we can expect to see phones that can support both CDMA and GSM. However, that still will not make it easy to move a phone from one CDMA carrier to another, particularly when customer support on all the carriers is so poor.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions