Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    No, it's because my wife doesn't need 3G data and wants her phone to be very simple. She would say so herself. She's not a technical person. Recording a program on Tivo is her upper technical limit. The new phone favorites in the 680 is just made for her.

Some people are technophiles and some are technophobes. It's got nothing to do with intelligence, that's just the way it is. My wife is the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Looking at your sig, you're a prime candidate to test the 750.

But I have to ask one thing of the several probably MALE posters who said they will get this phone for their wife and children. Kids I can see, but why would you think a woman doesn't need a strong smartphone, like you? That's beginning to irk me.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe View Post
    'm still wondering why the 680 didnt get UMTS support.
    Because FrankenGarnet can't support it.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Two things: it's not really fair to compare the 680 to the 700p, and no wifi and no reset button are non-issues. It is better compared to the 650.

I have a 650 and would hate the additional weight, battery drain, and software complexity of wifi (less stable). I almost always have data service, and I never use the reset button anyway. You still have to take off the battery cover; why not just pull out the battery instead of fidgeting with the stylus or a pen to push in the tiny button?

I like the nicer form factor of the 680, the enhanced interface, and more memory, and around $200 it is a buy. It is identical in every other way as far as I know - making it the next evolutionary step forward of the 600 platform. I can understand why some might be disappointed by the absence of bluetooth dialing, or built in mp3 ringers, but for the average nokia / moto user intrigued by the idea of a smartphone, place a 650 and 680 side by side and the choice is clear.

Moto and RIM can't compete. The reality is that this is still an evolving market, and Palm (a much smaller company), is winning the race slow and steady. Bottom line: this is a well balanced product with few cons and I predict that it will be the best selling smartphone of 2007 thanks to a concerted marketing push.

Disclaimer: I am a PALM shareholder.
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10...680_announced/

With most venors and carriers offering $200+ discounts for a contract, I won't be surprised to see carriers, stores and online houses offering this phone for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Because FrankenGarnet can't support it.
    Stupid FrankenGarnet
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbroyhill View Post
    Moto and RIM can't compete. The reality is that this is still an evolving market, and Palm (a much smaller company), is winning the race slow and steady. Bottom line: this is a well balanced product with few cons and I predict that it will be the best selling smartphone of 2007 thanks to a concerted marketing push.

If you are a share holder I hope you did you due diligence. Your statement is hilarious. Nokia must be rolling on the floor laughing their ...

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    But this phone is not for people like you and me...it is for people who have never bought and/or used a smartphone before. For that purpose, I think this phone hit the mark.
    Good point. I think I like many other people on this and other forums are completely frustrated with Cingular in not delivering a new device for us. it has been painful to see all of these CDMA phones delivered while we GSM folks sit around twiddling our thumbs. I think if this had BB Connect on it I "might" buy one as a second phone. However, engadgetmobile has an article about not only unlocking the Vodafone 750 but that it uses BB Connect. If Cingular does not screw it up and launches their version with the same set up, I would have a perfect device since i can flip my data plan with Cingular when I go out of the country to use our BES servers for e-mail.

Unfortunately.....all of this requires Cingular to launch the F thing!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post

With most venors and carriers offering $200+ discounts for a contract, I won't be surprised to see carriers, stores and online houses offering this phone for free.
    I would take it for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbroyhill View Post

wrong or at least closer to wrong than right : rim and moto can compete. read the financial press if you don't believe me. palm is not winning any race, in fact, they're losing it at a high rate of speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    wrong or at least closer to wrong than right : rim and moto can compete. read the financial press if you don't believe me. palm is not winning any race, in fact, they're losing it at a high rate of speed.
    I agree with your last sentence. And for that reason right there is why they came out with the 680, to try and close the gap!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post

I think that you are a little optimistic. In his TV Interview, Colagan said that he hoped carriers would sell the phone as llow as $200-. That does not sound like "free" to me. Look at the price that Palm has on the 650. I think Collagan wants the carriers to subsidize Palm, not the consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    I agree with your last sentence. And for that reason right there is why they came out with the 680, to try and close the gap!
    Ah! Yes! Perhaps. However, until they disclose price, partners, terms, and availability, one cannot even speculate on their possibility of success. At the typical Palm price, this device will not sell. This is not a Q killer. Palm does not even count sales in the same units as Moto or Nokia. The people who are buying those phones, literally by the millions, have never even heard of Palm.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What is Palm's marketshare in the states? I think it's about 4% in europe.
    from palm info center, oct 2006

Nokia accounted for 42 percent of the combined PDA and smartphone market in the first half of 2006 and commanded half of the global smartphone market. ”The company’s strategic focus remains on the consumer smartphone segment, so more favourable seasonal trends in the second half of the year and the introduction of new models should help Nokia achieve higher shipments of its basic smartphones,” said Ms Cozza.

Motorola accounted for 5.3 percent in the combined PDA and smartphone market. Motorola’ smartphone shipments grew 103.5 percent in the first half of 2006, which represented the highest year on year growth among the top 5 vendors. This performance was driven by the success of Motorola’s Linux-based devices in China. However, Motorola is not making significant progress with its Microsoft and Symbian-based smartphones and shipments of the Motorola Q have been hampered by the minimum $80 monthly service plan offered by Verizon.

In the first half of 2006, RIM accounted for 6.5 percent of the combined PDA and smartphone market, with shipments up 60 percent year on year. RIM smartphone shipments represent 36 percent of all BlackBerry mobile devices, up from 9 percent in the same period last year. The company retained its leadership position in the global PDA market in the first half of 2006, with an increase of 13.5 percent from the same period last year.“ As mobile email expands beyond the executive segment, RIM is responding with a new hardware strategy in the form of their new Pearl device to tackle prosumer (professional consumer) and consumer markets for wireless email,” Mr. Kort, principal analyst in Gartner’s computing platform worldwide group.

Palm
    In the first half of 2006, Palm accounted for 5 percent of the combined PDA and smartphone market, down from 8 percent in the first half of 2005. Palm saw a decrease of 26 percent in the first half of 2006. “Palm’s PDA business continues to decline as the company shifted its focus on sales of its Treo smartphones, which accounted for 57 percent of Palm’s mobile device shipments in the first half of 2006,” Mr. Kort added.
    current 700p Verizon user here.....not sure - if its more stable then hell ya - might miss the faster email, downloads but who knows - I like the smaller form factor and "newer appeal" - we shall see
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    And in the mean time the little T-mobile dash with its 900 mah battery has wifi. And the SDA has wifi. And nearly every other pocketpc phone has wifi.

Get with the naughties man. Its not 1999 any more. Stop making excuses for Palm.

Surur
    Nothing says 2002 like a mobil device with WiFi. Nothing says 2006 like a device with EVDO.
    Wifi is still needed. In Europe for sure.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Nothing says 2002 like a mobil device with WiFi. Nothing says 2006 like a device with EVDO.
    ...except EVDO and Wi-Fi together (actually, it's more like 2005, as in when the PPC-6700 came out)

-R
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    current 700p Verizon user here.....not sure - if its more stable then hell ya - might miss the faster email, downloads but who knows - I like the smaller form factor and "newer appeal" - we shall see
    it is supposedly 1oz less heavy. it is actually any smaller dimension-wise?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    If you are a share holder I hope you did you due diligence. Your statement is hilarious. Nokia must be rolling on the floor laughing their ...

Surur
    Of course I did... Europe may be a tougher nut to crack, where Nokia is a leader and Palm is basically unknown, but in the US it will be easy.

The Q is a flop and the Pearl is launching on what, T-Mobile??

I read the financial press... sure I'm an amateur investor but what's with all the negative sentiment? This product addresses their product offering gap between the regular phone and prosumer segments, a major reason that sales were less than expected. In other words, the prosumer segment is leveling off while the market in general is expanding to regular users.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast