Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    is this new Treo worth it? What would it take for you to buy it? I moved on to WM and Symbian because there hadn't been anything new for us GSM folks in so long. Now I don't know if this is good enough to get me back to Treos. What do you guys think?
    Since they will not discuss price, it is hard to know what "worth it" means. It certainly is not a "no-brainer."

If it were priced at $50-, one might pay that for the memory upgrade. On the other hand, there is the decreased BT function.

UMTS would have made it a necessity. However, having learned to live with the 650's memory limitations, one is not much motivated to pay $200- for a memory upgrade worth, at most, a few dollars. Then there is the limited BT function.

If you have bitten the MS WM bullet, you need not look back for this. GSM users have taken it in the ear once more. While CDMA users got 3G, we got memory that we expected months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    If I can get it unlocked directly from Palm for $200 or less, I'll definitely get one, .....
    lol.
    At this stage I think it's all about the price point. If it's in the $200 - $300 range then this feature set makes sense. It's a bargain smart phone. Once the price gets up around $350 or more it starts looking overpriced compared to current offerings. They're not trying to get folks to upgrade from their Treo 650's with the 680. This is designed to pull in new customers, folks using non-smart phones, basic Nokias and Motos, etc. They get the Palm OS, SD-card storage, and the basic Treo experience, hopefully at a price that makes sense. We'll see.......
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickj View Post
    No reset button???? I had not see that mentioned before ...
    The poster might have been joking when he wrote that. Ed Fooligan, LOL!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    On the other hand, if, like me, you're still using a T600, this is a huge upgrade - lots of additional memory, much better screen, improved phone interface, better form factor, removable battery, etc. I think I will get this, if only as an interim upgrade until Palm gives us an improved POS which can handle HSPDA or UMTS. For 600 owners, it's an easy one.

Andrew
    I wasn't joking. One of the blogs covering the annoucement said no reset button. Maybe I or they are mistaken, but I think that's what I read.

Edit: From the TC hands-on review that's up on the main page right now: "No reset button exists, as removing the battery and replacing it performs a reset."
    I thought you might have been joking at first, then wasn't sure. Was just looking at the details page on Palm's site:
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...680/specs.html

Don't see one shown there, but can't recall if it's generally shown there. If it's really not there, that's very very dumb ...
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    I wasn't joking. One of the blogs covering the annoucement said no reset button. Maybe I or they are mistaken, but I think that's what I read.

Edit: From the TC hands-on review that's up on the main page right now: "No reset button exists, as removing the battery and replacing it performs a reset."
    Ok.

But your "Ed Fooligan" quote WAS funny!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    LOL @ no reset button. If this device is as stable as the 650, then the battery connectors are going to be shot from people constantly removing and replacing the battery to reset it.

"No reset button is necessary. One need only wait a short while, and the device will reset on its own." - Ed Fooligan

I'm a future 750 owner, so I don't really care about this device. I'm just mad that it looks too much like the 750. I wish they would have done something (besides the gaudy colors) to differentiate them. Having your top-of-the-line device look virtually identical to your bottom-of-the-line device is not a smart business move.
    my 650 reset all the time for me with out fail
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    ...I'm just mad that it looks too much like the 750. I wish they would have done something (besides the gaudy colors) to differentiate them. Having your top-of-the-line device look virtually identical to your bottom-of-the-line device is not a smart business move.
    Not to worry, poor baby. Surely the "gaudy" colors will be enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    At this stage I think it's all about the price point. If it's in the $200 - $300 range then this feature set makes sense. It's a bargain smart phone. Once the price gets up around $350 or more it starts looking overpriced compared to current offerings. They're not trying to get folks to upgrade from their Treo 650's with the 680. This is designed to pull in new customers, folks using non-smart phones, basic Nokias and Motos, etc. They get the Palm OS, SD-card storage, and the basic Treo experience, hopefully at a price that makes sense. We'll see.......
    Yes? And why do you suppose they were not prepared to get into details like price?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I guess I'm not coming back to Treos yet. Maybe I'll get one for the wife.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Looking at your sig, you're a prime candidate to test the 750.

But I have to ask one thing of the several probably MALE posters who said they will get this phone for their wife and children. Kids I can see, but why would you think a woman doesn't need a strong smartphone, like you? That's beginning to irk me.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Looking at your sig, you're a prime candidate to test the 750.

But I have to ask one thing of the several probably MALE posters who said they will get this phone for their wife and children. Kids I can see, but why would you think a woman doesn't need a strong smartphone, like you? That's beginning to irk me.
    I think w/o the antena it is lighter.. Thats all.. LOL
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    At $250 for an unlocked, I would buy one for my wife who still uses an old Sony Clio. But I am waiting for Cingular or T-Mobile's version of the TyTn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    OK. True confessions time here. I've been banging the drum for wifi since 10 minutes after forever.

Now I have the T-Mobile SDA that I'm test driving. It has wifi. Guess what. I don't bother with it. Maybe that's because it is a small screen/no keyboard device, though. I don't know.

So "maybe" there are enough people out there who will buy the 680 without wifi.

Me, I want the 750. With wifi.
    Precisely. WiFi is overhyped on mobil devices. Those of use who have had it in the past (I had it with my Sony Clie) saw how little we used it and how it drained batteries. If the new 680 had WiFi with its puny 1200 mA battery, a WiFi Blazer session or Skype conversation would last...just a few moments, after which you would be carrying around a DEAD Treo until you got to a charger.

WiFi is not engineered for mobil devices and faulting Palm for not integrating WiFi into a cellphone (which for many needs to be a near failsafe device) is somewhat akin to faulting a car dealer because a Hummer doesn't get 50mpg - the underlying technology was never designed for "energy efficiency" and - in any event - its not the dealer's role to design cars in the first place.
    Last edited by Keefer Lucas; 10/13/2006 at 09:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Precisely. WiFi is overhyped on mobil devices. Those of use who have had it in the past (I had it with my Sony Clie) saw how little we used it and how it drained batteries. If the new 680 had WiFi with its puny 1200 mA battery, a WiFi Blazer session or Skype conversation would last...just a few moments, after which you would be carrying around a DEAD Treo until you got to a charger.

WiFi is not engineered for mobil devices and faulting Palm for not integrating WiFi into a cellphone (which for many needs to be a near failsafe device) is somewhat akin to faulting a car dealer because a Hummer doesn't get 50mpg - the underlying technology was never designed for "energy efficiency" and - in any event - its not the dealer's role to design cars in the first place.
    And in the mean time the little T-mobile dash with its 900 mah battery has wifi. And the SDA has wifi. And nearly every other pocketpc phone has wifi.

Get with the naughties man. Its not 1999 any more. Stop making excuses for Palm.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    And in the mean time the little T-mobile dash with its 900 mah battery has wifi. And the SDA has wifi. And nearly every other pocketpc phone has wifi.

Get with the naughties man. Its not 1999 any more. Stop making excuses for Palm.

Surur
    I have the SDA and I just use WiFi to sync the PIM. It really eats the battery. Yes it's nice, but I would not use it to cruise the net. It helps me avoid a data plan thou.

I also have a Treo650 that has pretty much bit the dust. I don't need EVDO, EDGE or 1XRTT will be plenty. If Cingular priced it at $149, then I'm there. If data was a major requirement, I'd get a datacard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post

WiFi isnt out of reach for a treo-like device, that has been demonstrated. I'm still wondering why the 680 didnt get UMTS support.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I could care less about wifi on the Treo. Thats the reason I have a data card for my tablet. But then again, work pays for the data card.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast