1.    #1  
    Well the new 680p is confirmed this afternoon with an imminent release by Cingular within a month. I'm in need of 650 replacement, but have been waiting for the right moment to pull the trigger. My guess is that if 680p is introduced at $200 level with 2 yr contract, it will reduce the current 700p pricing. - This is just my guesstimate.

What do others think?
    One would think so, but you never know with Palm. Since the 680 is GSM, CDMA users are forced to the 700p or 650 if the want POS. They might keep the price up there.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  3.    #3  
    One never know for sure. But if Sprint or Verizon start loosing potential customers to Cingular because of the phone price, we may see a rapid erosion on the 700p price from these carriers.

I'm just not sure if I should bite the bullet and upgrade (to 700P) or wait until the price break.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    What does the 700p have over the 680 besides an antenna and a better camera?

Does the 680 have 64mb available to the user like the 700p? They both run Garnet, have the same 320 x 320 screen, use high speed internet, and take an SD card.

Taking off the antenna is an improvement, more color choice is an improvement.

I'd pay $200.00 less for a Treo even if it meant a crummier camera if that's the only real loss....
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    What does the 700p have over the 680 besides an antenna and a better camera?

Does the 680 have 64mb available to the user like the 700p? They both run Garnet, have the same 320 x 320 screen, use high speed internet, and take an SD card.

Taking off the antenna is an improvement, more color choice is an improvement.

I'd pay $200.00 less for a Treo even if it meant a crummier camera if that's the only real loss....
    Unlike the 700p and the 750v the 680 does NOT have broadband speed - no UMTS or HSDPA which are the GSM standards which approach of the speed of EV-DO in the 700p and 700w.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T View Post
    I don't know if 700p camera is better than 680 or 650. Sure it has more pixels, but I heard that it doesn't do well in indoor shots. I will take VGA camera if it is same as the one in 650.
    Is anybody else a bit peeved to see a thinner phone with integrated antenna come out so soon after the 700p? I'd understand if it was a year from now, but I don't understand how after a few months they've managed to come out with a smaller package, and the only difference is high speed connect and a lesser camera. Not very happy as we just got a few 700p's with Sprint, and it could've been a good time to try and jump and ship. And yes it does have 64mb of memory. Comes in four colors and unlocked with no carrier affiliation on it. Comes with Bluetooth 1.2 and they even tout it as a modem for your laptop.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Actually, I'm not upset at all. I like the feel of the 700p; for me a thinner phone may be harder to hold onto. Also, I live in a poor coverage area for all carriers. I prefer to have an antenna, because I am skeptical that a phone without an antenna can get as good coverage. No, REALLY! I'm not rationalizing- that's really what I think.
    The 680 may not have 3G, but when I tried out Blazer on some pages, it certainly did not seem much slower than my 700p. I think you won't notice the difference unless you stream a lot.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Is anybody else a bit peeved to see a thinner phone with integrated antenna come out so soon after the 700p? I'd understand if it was a year from now, but I don't understand how after a few months they've managed to come out with a smaller package, and the only difference is high speed connect and a lesser camera. Not very happy as we just got a few 700p's with Sprint, and it could've been a good time to try and jump and ship. And yes it does have 64mb of memory. Comes in four colors and unlocked with no carrier affiliation on it. Comes with Bluetooth 1.2 and they even tout it as a modem for your laptop.
    Remember.. it is only 1 millimeter (.039 inches) thinner. My guess is if you have a 600/650/700 in one hand and the 750 in the other, you could not tell if it was thinner.

Heck, they could have accomplished the 1mm by simply making the plastic thinner.

EDIT:
    Something interesting I just noticed. After typing the message above where I said it was only 1mm thinner... I went to the 680 specs page and noticed that it is actually about 2.5-3mm thinner (.1 inch). Minor, but still somewhat substantial. What is interesting is that these are not the same specs as the European 750v!

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...680/specs.html
    http://www.palm.com/sg/products/smar...50v/specs.html

Think one of those is a typo?
    Last edited by Dome; 10/12/2006 at 10:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dome View Post
    EDIT:
    Something interesting I just noticed. After typing the message above where I said it was only 1mm thinner... I went to the 680 specs page and noticed that it is actually about 2.5-3mm thinner (.1 inch). Minor, but still somewhat substantial. What is interesting is that these are not the same specs as the European 750v!

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...680/specs.html
    http://www.palm.com/sg/products/smar...50v/specs.html

Think one of those is a typo?
    I think the difference can be traced back to our "inferior" measuring units(in. vs. mm).

The 680 is presented in standard units(4.4" H x 2.3" W x 0.8") and then probably converted to mm using a computer. which is why you get 111.8x58.4x20.3(notice the decimals)

On the 750 it is measured in metric originally(more accurate since 1mm<0.1in) giving us 111mm x 58mm x 22mm. notice the WHOLE numbers... this is how it would read if someone actually measured it in mm(there's no way someone could get XX.Xmm like we see in the 680 specs)

so anyways if we convert the 750 specs to standard we get 4.3700787in x 2.2834646in x 0.86614173in..........essentially the same as the 680

so I would say that they ARE the same size. some specs just get "lost in translation"
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR447 View Post
    I think the difference can be traced back to our "inferior" measuring units(in. vs. mm).

The 680 is presented in standard units(4.4" H x 2.3" W x 0.8") and then probably converted to mm using a computer. which is why you get 111.8x58.4x20.3(notice the decimals)

On the 750 it is measured in metric originally(more accurate since 1mm<0.1in) giving us 111mm x 58mm x 22mm. notice the WHOLE numbers... this is how it would read if someone actually measured it in mm(there's no way someone could get XX.Xmm like we see in the 680 specs)

so anyways if we convert the 750 specs to standard we get 4.3700787in x 2.2834646in x 0.86614173in..........essentially the same as the 680

so I would say that they ARE the same size. some specs just get "lost in translation"
    I'm not so sure. Palm did mention that they had to do alot of work to get the HSPDA/UMTS radio into a smaller form factor for the 750v. It is quite possible that a standard GSM phone could be thinner. (I always thought the 680 would be the thinnest Treo ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    The 680 may not have 3G, but when I tried out Blazer on some pages, it certainly did not seem much slower than my 700p. I think you won't notice the difference unless you stream a lot.
    So you have a pre-release model? What color did you get?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So you have a pre-release model? What color did you get?
    No, it's on display at the Digital Life convention at the Javitz Center thru Sunday.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.