1.    #1  
    treo 700p

received a text message. No biggie. But now the icon won't go away at my phone screen

Chiselmonkey
    Once it is not marked as new anymore (by going to the messaging screen and reading that message), the icon should disappear.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Judging from your numer of posts, I assume that you've tried marking the messages read. In that case, using FileZ or another file viewer to delete the file "MessagingDatabase" (I think that's what it's called) will clear the icon. I think it deletes all saved, etc., SMSs, but it gets rid of the icon.......
    Bok