Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From this morning's paper:

"Palm Inc., aiming to break out of its niche as a maker of smart phones for corporations, today will unveil a new smart phone targeted at the general public.

The debut of the Treo 680, Palm's fourth smart-phone model launched this year, is the Sunnyvale, Calif., company's latest attempt to rev up its growth. Palm, which started as a maker of hand-held-organizer devices in the 1990s, began making the transition to smart phones -- which combine functions of a hand-held organizer with a cellphone, wireless email and other features -- several years ago. Until now, Palm's smart phones, sold under the name Treo, had largely been designed for corporate customers.

But while there are some 650 million potential corporate smart-phone customers world-wide, the total consumer market for smart phones is far larger -- at around two billion potential buyers, according to IDC research. "This is a major launch for us because we're expanding the demographic that we serve," says John Hartnett, Palm's senior vice president of global markets.

Unlike other Treos, which typically were priced at more than $399 at the time of their launch, some analysts expect the new Treo 680 to start at around $199. The phone is expected to be smaller than previous Treos and will have an improved user interface and simpler icons to help consumers navigate the product.

Originally code-named "Low Rider," the Treo 680 is a world phone that will run on wireless networks equipped with GSM technology, which is widely used in Europe and Asia in addition to North America. The Treo 680 will be launched in the U.S. and available in other world markets by mid-2007.

The Treo 680's launch will be bolstered by a $25 million marketing campaign featuring several of Palm's partners, including Yahoo Inc. and eBay Inc. The campaign, designed by ad agency AKQA, will show how consumers can access those Web sites from the Treo device."
    Jer 23:29
    Even before Palm's big announcement it was supposed to make itself today??? WOW!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    waiting til mid 07? what did they smoke?

if its with the old POS I'm out of palm ...
    Potential market of 2 billion users - yeah, they are definately smoking something.
    Yeah if they are going after 2 billion they should just sell the damn thing for a dollar...

If they get 20 million they will have a hit and make lots of cash... I think either the WSJ or Palm needs to go back to business school. This is how stocks get pumled by dumass outlooks.

Either way I'd like to have one to suppliment my RAZR
    $200 is nice :-)

Jim
    Mid-2007????????????????????????????

I need a replacement for my Treo 650 NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No, that's for the rest of the world. The US will get it first. In fact, other posts have leaks from Cingular saying next month.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Its suppose to be announced today at Digital Life I heard.

Going to the show on Saturday hopefully will check it out.

Its funny but I need a new Treo. My 650 is starting to fail.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JPVann View Post
    ....available in other world markets by mid-2007
    Got to be a mistake, surely? Otherwise breweries & pissups come to mind.
    haha 2billion.
    Got to be a mistake, surely?

First off, don't call me Shirley.

Secondly, where's my new treo? I hope the announcement has some real meat with it, i.e., hard dates when we can get the darn thing.

I have a unlocked 650 gsm and I will probably upgrade for the memory and the stability, if the price is right.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Well this just stinks! GSM folks screwed again! Knowing Palm this will probably be a launch of the 680 ( which I could care less about ) on CDMA only.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    Well this just stinks! GSM folks screwed again! Knowing Palm this will probably be a launch of the 680 ( which I could care less about ) on CDMA only.
    Treo 680 only CDMA? I thought the 680 was going to come out for Cingular? Thats what i have now a 650 with Cingular.
    Where should we be looking for the first outlets?
    My guess is this order:

palm
    suckular
    amazon
    verizon
    sprint

anyone got any rumor on what this thing weighs? I'm still on the Q vs 680 fence...and REALLY want something lighter...
    For once, I think us GSM folks will get this; if it's going to be sold in Europe, it will have to be a GSM device. Honestly though, I would rather see a 700p for GSM, unless all of the leaks have been wrong, this will be a 2G instead of a 3G device.
    Ed Colligan (CEO of Palm) went on record saying that their final phone this year would be a lower cost phone for GSM.
    I am pretty sure TxSchafers wants a windows based gsm phone. (That's why he keeps on banging that cow bell! )

The phone will def not be cdma.

Has anyone found any live feed on the internet for the press conference??
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    I am pretty sure TxSchafers wants a windows based gsm phone. (That's why he keeps on banging that cow bell! )

The phone will def not be cdma.

Has anyone found any live feed on the internet for the press conference??
    I think their license for Palm OS is now free, as PalmSource didn't meet objectives set for them, which makes POS a lot cheaper than Windows.

In terms of a live feed, we'll be posting information as it comes... Dieter/Septimus is there today with Marcus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthrow View Post
    In terms of a live feed, we'll be posting information as it comes... Dieter/Septimus is there today with Marcus.

cool. thanks, mike!
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    The license is not free, they are just freed from the mandatory minimum spends (about $20-40 million per year) which Palm would have to pay, irrespective of number of devices sold. It was these payments which led to Sony still paying millions to PSRC despite only shipping a few POS devices.

Surur
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast