Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was home this weekend and my dad picked up a 700p from Sprint via the SERO sight (inphonic). I was showing him how to use it and noticed there was no delay in his device when going to the phone application.

Straight from the box, my Treo 700p from Sprint would go to the application but it would take a good 2 seconds before the word Sprint appeared in the upper left corner. The application would also not respond until the 2 seconds had passed (obviously very frustrating when trying to make a quick call).

Did I miss a firmware update? Are all new 700p's free of this delay?
    Nope, no new firmware was released. As for the phone being sluggish, as soon as he runs versamail more than likely he will get that sluggishness just like you.
    Yeah...add several dozen apps to your 700p like I do, and you too can experience the joys of sluggishness!

A month ago, I had to do a hard reset, and I was amazed at how much more responsive my Sprint 700p was without anything installed. Yes, there was still a minor delay even with nothing installed, but the delay can get progressively worse depending on what third party apps are installed.

Worst part is that I don't know which apps I had previously installed that were the worst offenders for sluggishness. This time around, I left out a bunch of large apps that I was suspicious about, and now my 700p seems to run relatively well.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
  4.    #4  
    I'm not sure that's the case, unfortunately i'm not around the fast treo anymore.

When I hard reset mine, the 2 second lag is still there when going to the phone application, so it's not due to 3rd party apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by wballz33 View Post
    I'm not sure that's the case, unfortunately i'm not around the fast treo anymore.

When I hard reset mine, the 2 second lag is still there when going to the phone application, so it's not due to 3rd party apps.
    If you do a hard reset and just navigate thru the phone you should not have much or if any slowdown. What about versamail? Did you happen to open that? Once you do you will notice a slowdown.
    after a hard reset and no apps installed i have no delay and i picked up my Treo the day it came out, but install a few apps and the delay is back
    I have a new vzw 700P from a couple days ago. Out of the box it was fast! I even run versamail with several mail profiles syncing every hour and no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by htech View Post
    I have a new vzw 700P from a couple days ago. Out of the box it was fast! I even run versamail with several mail profiles syncing every hour and no problem.
    Please post your pBench data access scores.
    This is not strange. I had a 2004 Treo 650 from Sprint, and I've always felt like a tin-foil hat wearin' fool whenever I mentioned that my Treo was not as zippy as people were saying it was when they got their 700p. My 700p seemed almost identical to the 650 in its laggy moments, save for the 2 minute blazer lag.

My 650, freshly hard reset, would lag into the phone app but newer Sprint 650s were lightning quick. I think it's totally possible that there may be differences in the hardware, unfortunately.

Edit: post 500! Only took 3 and half years!
    http://tinyurl.com/jpm2r
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    delete all asc3 and asc4 creator id files with filez also any MM files. These are versa mail files. Once this is done you won't experience the 2 second delay of your carrier logo...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    delete all asc3 and asc4 creator id files with filez also any MM files. These are versa mail files. Once this is done you won't experience the 2 second delay of your carrier logo...
    ...until your next reset recreates 'em.....
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    What will that do to Versamail? Will it still work?
    We kind of been through this discussion before but the delay only happens when you switch out from a large memory app such as Versamail, any type of 3rd party launcher, Agendus, etc. The easiest way to visually prove it is to switch back and forth from the POS launcher into the phone app. Then see how much slower it is from a 3rd party launcher.

It is a problem with accessing memory that doesn't show up with smaller programs. Don't bother screwing with Versamail. There is nothing wrong with it. Following those instructions with Versamail may provide temporary relief but many said it came back as email memory usage increased. It is not worth the effort.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonron View Post
    Please post your pBench data access scores.
    I'm assuming that was a joke.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Just got my 700. Been using the 650 for some time. I read about these delays and to be honest, thought maybe I should stick with the 650. But after using the 700, I'm glad I got it. Yes, there is a delay switching between a large app and phone, (about 2 seconds), but come on, it's not that bad. No it probably shouldn't be there, but it's not nearly the issue I heard it was. (at least for me).

What makes up for it is that I can put all my apps in ram, instead of running some off the card. This makes them quicker and makes up for any white-screen delays. Also, Blazer is significantly faster than on the 650, even without EVDO. Don't let this problem deter you from a 700p.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I just had mine swapped also. I also noticed it was A LOT faster. This is really strange!
    Sprint Treo 650 -->Treo 700p --> Treo 755p Burgundy --> Palm Pre
    The slowness comes from a bug in the Treo 700p's file access operating system calls. Any application that makes extensive "database" calls see this slow down. Compared to the Treo 650, file access are orders of magnitude slower.

Jeff
    Jeff,

Any idea of how hard of a fix this is for Palm?
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    That is nearly impossible to say. It could be as easy as a single line of code or it could be a major rewrite.

Sorry I could not give you a better answer.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    The slowness comes from a bug in the Treo 700p's file access operating system calls. Any application that makes extensive "database" calls see this slow down. Compared to the Treo 650, file access are orders of magnitude slower.

Jeff
    This thread details the problem http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=118867 but doesn't have any fixes or workarounds.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast