1.    #1  
    I have found that my internal Treo mic stays active even though I have plugged in a wired headset. I am using the Treo on a motorcycle and the internal mic picks up a lot of noise even though I am using a headset designed for motorcycle use. The treo resides in my tank bag and picks up engine, wind and exhaust noise. I thought the internal mic would be muted when the headset is in use. Any good ideas to solve this problem?

I am using a Seidio 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor to connect my headset.

Thanks

motrid
    It's 3.5 with a microphone? That seems non-standard. I'd guess that adaptor is just converting the audio out (like for headphones).

By the way, what kind of headset? (A link?)
    I'm looking for something to use in my convertible...

Thanks,
    Gary
    Last edited by garylapointe; 10/11/2006 at 01:02 PM.
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
  3.    #3  
    Gary,

The headset is specially made to fit a motorcycle helmet. It is wired to an Autocom system that allows my GPS, radio, phone, and radar detector to all "connect" to the same headset.

I don't have a wiring diagram for the Seidio adaptor, but it does function to allow the headset microphone and earpiece to function. It was designed to allow the use of 3.5mm headsets. seidio.com

motrid
    Assuming your headset has a mic built-in, the only thing I can think of is that the mic-into-the-Treo channel isn't connected somewhere between the headset, the adaptor, and the Treo. You are probably getting the L and R Treo output channels just fine because those are fairly standard.

It seems to be a little known fact that if you have wired headphones (no mic) plugged in to the Treo and you get a phone call, the built-in Treo mic is open so you can talk to the phone and hear the caller through both L and R channels. I suspect the Treo jack senses the impedance of a mic on the mic channel and if it's not there, uses the built-in one.

That's why it *should be* muted when you have a combo headset that has a built-in mic and everything is making contact as it should.

Hope this makes sense.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  5.    #5  
    TomVB200,

I think you have nailed it. All I need now is a solution! The headset mike does work so it must be that the Autocom does not present the correct impedence to the Treo. I have also found that using a Seidio 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor seems to help, but then the distant party complains of echo while speaking. The distant party does not hear echo when I speak, in fact my voice is clear and acceptably loud. On my end ithe conversation is fine.

Thanks for your thoughts

motrid
    That is strange. (Sorry, I wasn't processing that the mic on the headset was actually working.)

Once you get this figured out I'd be interested in what make/model headset you're using. I'm always looking for something better to use in the convertible.

I was looking at the Sedio adaptors, I don't see any notes about them working with a mic, they all seem to be referring to listening.

As I write this I'm thinking even more about how odd it is that it passes the audio but doesn't mute the mic, I wonder what on the 2.5 mm just makes it different than a regular mic...

Good luck,
    Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Yea, I'm now confused as well. I figured either the Treo mic would be open or the headset mic would be open, but not both!

I wouldn't expect the adaptor has anything to do with the echo unless somehow the Treo mic and your headset are both picking up your voice (seems doubtful with all the road noise). It's more likely the other party just had a bad phone connection or you had a bad connection to your mobile carrier.

This won't fix your problem, but the mention of an "impedance problem" on this product was interesting. Hope you find something that works.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)