Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    How can I see what is running in the background (or is there even a way)? My Palm is CONSTANTLY making the phone turn on sound, application launch and phone turn off sound (with Techsounds). I think it is something running in the background, just not sure what.
    Treo 700p on the Sprint Network!
    Palm Internals might be the one you are wanting. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman00 View Post
    phone turn on sound, application launch and phone turn off sound (with Techsounds).
    Can you be a bit more specific? Id this random? If "application launch" means an application gets launched, which one? And, what apps do you have installed?

Very few programs "run in the background." One of the ones you have might have a special feature, though.

Thinking about this, it could also be an application that has set an alarm for itself to do something. With that comment, what happens during this process? Does it just look random, or does something appear on the screen for a little while?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I think it is fairly random. I had to remove the phone power on sounds and phone power off sounds, because those played as well. I haven't heard the application launch sound all morning, which is kind of weird.

In order the phone would play the power on sound, then the application launch sound, then the power off sound. So I am fairly certain something is launching from the background.

Anyway here is what I have installed:

VersaMail (actively checks for mail)
    Blackjack
    Card Reader
    cotoGPS
    DayTrader
    Destaller
    Diddlebug
    Diddlesnap
    Dioplayer
    Dir Assist
    Dope Wars
    Filez
    Handzipper
    IBM Java
    IM+
    Palm VNC
    PMAME
    pssh
    Solitare
    Techsnds5
    Tetris
    Volumecare

Any help is appreciated!
    Sounds like you are having a reset loop.

Surur
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I should also mention that the screen doesn't turn on when it makes these sounds.
    In order the phone would play the power on sound, then the application launch sound, then the power off sound. So I am fairly certain something is launching from the background.
    What would play such sounds?? Unless the 700 does this, I've never heard of an "application launch sound".
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    The sounds being played is by Techsounds.
    It might be IM+.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmGear
    Works in background mode
    http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index...&prodid=52522#
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    IM+ isn't running (I am not logged on at least).
    VersaMail (actively checks for mail)
    Does VersaMail popup anything when it is running? That might be what is doing it.
    The sounds being played is by Techsounds.
    700p isn't on their list of supported devices, but it shouldn't matter really. Sounds like a silly app to me.

Best thing to try is disabling one program at a time, or a handful at a time.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Does VersaMail popup anything when it is running? That might be what is doing it.
    Nope. When it makes these sounds, the screen doesn't come on.

You say "disabling" apps. By that do you mean removing them? How can I disable an app?
    My consensus is that it is VersaMail, since VersaMail most likely checks with out turning the screen on.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I thought the same thing. I asked around, and other people that use Techsounds and Versamail have not reported this problem. Which is bringing me back to square one.
    I would go the palminternals route and see what apps show up under Alarms. These are apps running in the background that are scheduled to do something at a certain time. Take a note of the times and see if the behavior occurs at any of the times listed and you'll probably find the offending app. Is it possible you're phone is either dropping and restarting the data connection or losing the phone signal (poor coverage area?)

Apps that run in the background like VolumeCare can be disabled (there's a checkbox or button usually)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Just to close loop with you guys, I installed Palminternals, and it was in fact Versamail. Now I am curious why I have this noise, and others don't. It would also be nice if the good people at Techsnds can ignore playing those sounds when Versamail does it's thing.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I think contacting techsounds people, since they haven't updated the app for the 700p, or even updated at all recently would be a good idea. I have heard of techsounds making these phantom noises on the 700p, so your not alone.

Also, I deleted versamail, use chatter, and have been extremely happy with this setup.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler