1.    #1  
    I've had my 700p for a couple of months now. My friend has a 650 and was showing off some software he had for his. It was able to read OBD2 data from the car. I recently found something similar, yet using bluetooth, not a serial/USB connection.

Car-pal.net, its a UK company that puts out a small device that plugs into the OBD2 port inside the car. Once the car is on, you connect using obdgauge software (I found that the software they send with the unit didnt work right, its an older version of the obdgauge software anyhow...) http://www.qcontinuum.org/obdgauge/

For thoes that want the ability to check codes, watch RPM, Speed, and a number of other items, this is a good unit to get. I've got other odb2 stuff (obd-2.com) but this is nice, compact, wireless and allows you to download/read your logs after a hotsync.

For thoes that dont know, OBD2/EOBD is a protocol/standard for how your car communicates. It can communicate with diffrent devices to tell whats wrong with it or to view data from diffrent sensors. This unit works with ISO/VPW/PWM/CAN systems. Shipped from the UK to the US was about $224.

Its just one more thing I can use my Treo for!
    Unfortunately, OBD2 is more glitz than substance.

Many OEM codes are either proprietary or they simply don't map to
    an OBD2 code.

Jim C.
    Sweet! Thanks for the tip!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by lndshrk View Post
    Unfortunately, OBD2 is more glitz than substance.

Many OEM codes are either proprietary or they simply don't map to
    an OBD2 code.

Jim C.
    Its a good starting point for being able to diagnose a vehicle thats having problems. I've yet to run into a code from either GM, DCX or Ford that I cannot find information on. (google is a wonderfull thing!). DCX, I know for a fact, provides codes in the Factory Service Manual, as well as instructions on how to do the 'self service' key-on-off sequence to get them.

I've used the fancy obd2 code pullers that mechanics pay big bux for. They pay for the updates so they can scroll through the code and find out more about it. I can do the same thing via the pages that have info for the codes.

For $200+ I can do the same thing, cheaper. Its a small investment that's already paid for its self with the other scanners I've had, saving me alot of money in labor.

Its all about knowing where to look.