Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    We heard about the 4 phones either last year or the beginning of this year, I can't remember which. The Hollywood(750) and the Lowrider(680) were mentioned well in advance. It has been over 6 months. I remember someone showed up with a Lowrider and got a nice contact from Palm.

Of course, they were just protoypes then. But yes, they did keep the GSM crowd waiting a bit too long. I didn't wait and bought competitor's phones. I might have waited, had they actually CONFIRMED that they were going to take care of the GSM crowd within the year. They didn't have to spill all the details, just tell us they didn't forget about us this year. They barely gave us any details, and I gave up. Had I not been a phone junkie, I would not have even considered come back to Palm.

True, you can't please everyone. But you should be more honest with your customer base. If your GSM phones are going to be released late due to testing, marketing, or whatever, say so! Even Cingular admits phones are released late due to testing. However, honesty is too much to ask from most corporations these days, I guess.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well you make a good point but I think their mistake was announcing anything at all - if in fact these were "official" announcements and not leaked information.

I guess I don't get forums like this some times. There is a bit of an entitleist attitude or something as though Palm (or other tech companies if you look at other forums) ought to be co-developing their products openly with their rabid followers on forums like these. I see these forums as insightful from a product management and marketing perspective but would never openly develop a product on one. And by tipping your hand and pre-announcing features, models, pricing, etc. I think Palm's shareholders would not be served well - and that my friends is what makes the world turn 'round.

So I guess some of us we'll have to agree to disagree as to how forthcoming they should be.

Now where the hell is my unlocked 750 GSM phone Palm!
    Ed Colligan was supposed to have said it himself. He didn't spill any huge beans though. Just hinted at features and price, and they gave us exactly what he said they would. If only they hadn't been so slow with the GSM models.

And don't shareholders like to know if the company is still planning on producing? I couldn't invest in a tech company that seems to have nothing new coming.

And I agree with your last statement! But now at least we know it's coming and can't complain anymore.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    That was one heck of a smart and well put posting [clap][clap][clap][clap]
    I agree, well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    The 750v is still a very competent PIM device.
    I think PIM is questionable on the WM - the palm runs PIM apps better IMHO - agendus, chatter, etc.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me View Post
    And you can call it an apology from Palm if you want - whatever the hell that means. It could also be that I know a bit more about high-tech business than some and are offering a rational explanation as to why they do what they do. Nah....can't be that....lets start a conspiracy theory instead....maybe I'm a Palm employee. Shhh....
    Its amazing how many excuses there are for Palm not doing what everyone else is doing, and then why Palm's way is the best way.

Next tell us why color screens are unnecessary, and why handhelds dont need WIFI, and why removable batteries are just too complicated for end users.

Surur
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Then explain how Palm market share has dived year on year - please oh guru of the hi-tech industries share your wisdom with us.
    Palm owned the handheld space, but their incrementalism and attempts to milk customers as much as possible lost them that spot fairly quickly. Now they have been handed the Treo 600 ( a device which apparently could not have been made at Palm Inc) and they are repeating history. They are actively shoving people of the upgrade train, and falling behind the market for even feature phones (how many phones dumb phones have VGA cameras these days?)

Palm has demonstrated quite clearly in the past they do not have a formula for success. What they do have is a unique ability to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Palm owned the handheld space, but their incrementalism and attempts to milk customers as much as possible lost them that spot fairly quickly. Now they have been handed the Treo 600 ( a device which apparently could not have been made at Palm Inc) and they are repeating history. They are actively shoving people of the upgrade train, and falling behind the market for even feature phones (how many phones dumb phones have VGA cameras these days?)

Palm has demonstrated quite clearly in the past they do not have a formula for success. What they do have is a unique ability to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.

Surur
    Sounds like the NY Yankees!!!! Maybe Steinbrenner is a silent owner of Palm stock! That would explain why their product always falls short!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson

Surur
    Wow, surur, you sure love to hate palm. Is this why you spend so much time on palm-related sites bashing palm?

You remind me of the story of blind men trying to figure out an elephant. You see bits and pieces but can't see the big picture. Sad.
    it's easy to hate Palm and that's why non-Treo lovers hang around this joint.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Then explain how Palm market share has dived year on year - please oh guru of the hi-tech industries share your wisdom with us.
    Guru? Hardly.

Their market share has "dived" for a myriad of reasons to which I doubt you can wrap your simple mind around since it involves a bit more thought and lateral thinking than your theory that doing a poor job of leaking their roadmap to appease Treocentral forum members has proven to be a cataclysmic failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Surur
    "Next tell us why color screens are unnecessary, and why handhelds dont need WIFI, and why removable batteries are just too complicated for end users.

Surur"
    Better yet, please use your line of thinking above to explain to us all how they should be doing it and why? You're great at trying to tear them down (operative word here being "trying" since you've yet to articulate any substative argument for doing things "your way") but we'd all love to hear how you'd run the joint if you were king for a day at Palm.

Then again knowing full well you're a troll at best most users around here are probably savvy enough to have you on their ignore list so they won't have the pleasure of reading what will assuredly be a humorous response.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I didn't see an answer to my question - that's sums up your credibility. Thanks for establishing that.
    For a busines savvy person you get hysterical pretty quickly, don't you.

I will actually answer your question, in the hope of educating you.

If I was in charge of Palm I would continue their tradition of software enhancement, but I would apply the same to hardware. Palm has missed a number of boats over the years, the most recent being GPS, but they have also missed the MP3 boat, the PMP boat and the internet tablet boat. If I was in charge of Palm it would be a massive empire right now, because I would give customers what they want. The early adopters on these board are telling Palm what the future trends are, and they are being roundly ignored, leading to 'too little, too late' solutions when the market has overtaken them already.

The hot thing these days, and a future consumer trend is GPS and phones combined. I don't see any plans by Palm to address this nacent market.

I could go into more detail, but how about telling us why everything Palm has done has been the exactly right thing so far?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I didn't see an answer to my question - that's sums up your credibility. Thanks for establishing that.
    Sure I did. Let me put in simpler terms for you though since your too dumb to understand what I said.

"Their market share has "dived" for a myriad of reasons to which I doubt you can wrap your simple mind around since it involves a bit more thought and lateral thinking than your theory that doing a poor job of leaking their roadmap to appease Treocentral forum members has proven to be a cataclysmic failure."

Translation: You're a dumbass. Get it now? Ba bye.
    For a busines savvy person you get hysterical pretty quickly, don't you.

I will actually answer your question, in the hope of educating you.

If I was in charge of Palm I would continue their tradition of software enhancement, but I would apply the same to hardware. Palm has missed a number of boats over the years, the most recent being GPS, but they have also missed the MP3 boat, the PMP boat and the internet tablet boat. If I was in charge of Palm it would be a massive empire right now, because I would give customers what they want. The early adopters on these board are telling Palm what the future trends are, and they are being roundly ignored, leading to 'too little, too late' solutions when the market has overtaken them already.

The hot thing these days, and a future consumer trend is GPS and phones combined. I don't see any plans by Palm to address this nacent market.

I could go into more detail, but how about telling us why everything Palm has done has been the exactly right thing so far?

Surur
    They'd be a "massive empire" now if you were in charge? LOL. You probably still live with your mother...

"I don't see any plans by Palm to address this nacent market."

That is the friggin point - they aren't going to tell you if it's a nascent market as those plans would like be considered strategic. Why tip your hand to the competition? You still have not explained WHY this approach would equate to increased market share. You're living a pipe dream if you think the early adopters drive the kind of volumes that will grow Palm. In fact, I'd argue that this is exactly what their problem has been - their products have catered to geeks like you and me. The 680 seems to be something that finally targets the main stream but even this phone is too complex and likely too expensive for Joe-6-Pack. So as much as I wanted the geekiest phone on the planet I am quite certain that Palm shareholders want a $50 phone sold in every Circuit City, Best Buy, Costco, Sams Club, etc. etc. across the globe.

Again, you and your troll friend have missed the point. I tried to give some rational explanation as to why a high-tech company like Palm may not want to reveal their product roadmaps to guys like you or on forums like these. I didn't profess to have any inside knowledge but instead drew upon my experience in working with high-tech companies and startups for two decades.

I'm outta' here. Have fun trolling boys.
    I am a little confused about how the 680 appeals to the mainstream while the other models have not. What is so drastically different in a 680 from say - a 650? The interface looks the same. It's still the same palm PIM apps. From what I can tell, the only real differences are:

1) Phone app a little more pretty
    2) No Antena
    3) Colors
    4) A shortcut key to recently used apps (sounds like more of a power user feature).

Not trying to bash - but this thing just doesn't look that different from any past attempts to me. I guess the only thing that would make it more mainstream is a smoking price point.

To me a mainstream push would be a Treo that is a little more phone like. Gives you basic PIM and e-mail. Does MP3 - but with user friendly desktop software for music management and playlists. Hides the complexities of 3rd party apps and is thus rock solid and stable.

I realize the 680 has more memory - but I am not sure that is a feature that appeals more to the mainstream as much as it does the geeks.
    Well, assuming the 680 form factor and weight are the same as the 750, I think they will sell a ton. I got my 750 last night and the form factor is great! Much better than the specs say. It isn't physically that much smaller than a 700p, but it FEELS way smaller. The build quality is amazing, easily the best Treo I've ever held and right up there with well make Nokias.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    may i ask how it feels "way smaller" if it "isn't physically that much smaller than a 700p?" is it the 1oz difference in weight? perhaps that is it, or is it the curved sides? is it more thin? i suppose i should just compare the specs for myself.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike View Post
    I am a little confused about how the 680 appeals to the mainstream while the other models have not. What is so drastically different in a 680 from say - a 650? The interface looks the same. It's still the same palm PIM apps. From what I can tell, the only real differences are:

1) Phone app a little more pretty
    2) No Antena
    3) Colors
    4) A shortcut key to recently used apps (sounds like more of a power user feature).

Not trying to bash - but this thing just doesn't look that different from any past attempts to me. I guess the only thing that would make it more mainstream is a smoking price point.

To me a mainstream push would be a Treo that is a little more phone like. Gives you basic PIM and e-mail. Does MP3 - but with user friendly desktop software for music management and playlists. Hides the complexities of 3rd party apps and is thus rock solid and stable.

I realize the 680 has more memory - but I am not sure that is a feature that appeals more to the mainstream as much as it does the geeks.
    I've asked the same question - people are saying "well people want smartphones" - as far as I can work out they want music/media phones that also happen to smartphones.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast