Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Posted over at Cingular Forums by Minco1:

"Treo 750 Availability:

Cingular’s lack of acknowledgement to its customers as to when the 750 will be available has created quite a dilemma for my company. We are in our contract renewal phase on most of our phones and Blackberry’s approx. 30 lines that I will soon have to move to Verizon to obtain their Treo product.

We have tested outdated 650 models and are in the process of testing the window based product at Verizon as I write this and due to the windows operating format and its smooth ability to open attachments its meeting our criteria much better then the 650 model. If Cingular would just acknowledge a firm timeframe of availability I would wait so as to not disrupt our current contracts etc.

Please Cingular gives us a timeframe and we can evaluate or plans based on your timing……"

Just thought it tied in with some of the thoughts expressed in this thread.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Posted over at Cingular Forums by Minco1:

"Treo 750 Availability:

Cingular’s lack of acknowledgement to its customers as to when the 750 will be available has created quite a dilemma for my company. We are in our contract renewal phase on most of our phones and Blackberry’s approx. 30 lines that I will soon have to move to Verizon to obtain their Treo product.

We have tested outdated 650 models and are in the process of testing the window based product at Verizon as I write this and due to the windows operating format and its smooth ability to open attachments its meeting our criteria much better then the 650 model. If Cingular would just acknowledge a firm timeframe of availability I would wait so as to not disrupt our current contracts etc.

Please Cingular gives us a timeframe and we can evaluate or plans based on your timing……"

Just thought it tied in with some of the thoughts expressed in this thread.
    I wonder why this person isn't thinking of Sprint and the Almight 700wx?
    Have question for the first poster..does 680 has the same "rubber" type of paint like 750? I haven't see anybody talking about it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen View Post
    Lady Treo, why are you enticed by the 750? It is not different from 700vx appart from the missing antenna.
    Updated WM5 software. No sliding keyboard from the side. GSM. Worldwide 3G. Nokia taking a long time to officially get the N73 and N75 in their street stores, and can give no definite answer.

But even with the sliding keyboard, I still may get the Hermes also to test. We will see. Cingular hasn't gotten either in, so I have to wait no matter what.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dliao View Post
    Have question for the first poster..does 680 has the same "rubber" type of paint like 750? I haven't see anybody talking about it yet.
    Not sure what you mean by "rubber" type paint. I've never seen the 750 except briefly in photos, figured it was a European thing. I didn't realize how much people have been waiting for the 680, if I had known I would have paid much more attention.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    Hi i'm not so sure myself, can only image But supposedly this is a new paint where it gives you more grip when you hold it. The Treo650 black tie suppose to have that type of paint too, but i've never play with black tie edition.

I myself have been palm user for several years, now seeing Palm is jumping ship to WinMo really makes me think twice about staying with POS. But if 680 does comes out before 750, I will probably be the first one to buy it To me PDA function is more important than multimedia or exchange server, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by dliao View Post
    Hi i'm not so sure myself, can only image But supposedly this is a new paint where it gives you more grip when you hold it. The Treo650 black tie suppose to have that type of paint too, but i've never play with black tie edition.

I myself have been palm user for several years, now seeing Palm is jumping ship to WinMo really makes me think twice about staying with POS. But if 680 does comes out before 750, I will probably be the first one to buy it To me PDA function is more important than multimedia or exchange server, etc.
    The 750v is still a very competent PIM device.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    So is it SD or mini SD?
    Rumors abound, but the "Fuzzy Treo 680 pics" show what looks like a full-size SD card slot on the side with a cover.
    For myself, it's not that I have been 'anxiously waiting for the 680' as you say. I've been anxious for anything Cingular. I have had this 650 for almost 2 years, and it is pretty beat up.
    Just call me Berd.
    I will be first in line if Cingular offers the Treo 750V (or whatever they call it). I think this will be my transition device to Windows Mobile.

I do like the look of the HTC Libra - it has a number pad & side-slide keyboard. This may be my next future phone, after the Treo 750V.. There is supposed to be a GSM model in the 1st quarter of 2007 - I love choices!
    It certainly looks like a regular SD slot to me. Also I have noticed that IR is not on the 680. It is on the 750 and the 750 has miniSD.
  12.    #32  
    From TC front page, it looks like they are announcing a new Treo tomorrow. Must be the 680.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    Palm, unlike many others here, I'm not going to bash you for not including this feature or that feature. I know that you can NEVER satisfy everyone in terms of product features. I've only got ONE request for you, Palm. Just one:

Palm, PLEASE stop being so secretive. Tell your customers what your plans are. Give your customers reasonable advance notice of when your new products are coming, and what features those products will have. Stop making us GUESS about what you are going to do. Because you are losing THOUSANDS, maybe MILLIONS, of customers, who just won't bother with guessing. Instead, they will patronize a company whose business model is more transparent.
    "Instead, they will patronize a company whose business model is more transparent."

And who might that be?

What a friggin joke. You clearly are not in marketing or have ever owned a company.

So Palm should provide their roadmap to you so that you don't have a tizzy and go buy from a competitor? I'd guess you're the same customer that when and if Palm were to release their roadmap in adavance in order to retain you - and after being copied by the competition and/or cheap chinese knock offs before they even ship - you'd be the first in line to buy the cheap knock off and then would complain to Palm about the pricing.

Palm doesn't do anything any different than any business in high-tech IMO and they don't release roadmaps for several reasons:

1. As stated above, why tip off the competition and give them time to catch up to you? Particularily the asian companies that will invariably attempt to knock you off and undercut you in price before you even ship!

2. Why set expectations on features when those features and/or requirements may change due due to the market itself changing (so some features are no longer important and others are) or - heaven forbid - a feature becomes so problematic in engineering you need to push the feature back to a future model so that you can still ship the product and generate revenue.

The bottom line is - when it comes to getting any REAL roadmap from Palm I'd suggest you stop by their offices and submit your employment application because they are NEVER going to release roadmaps just so they can retain customers on promises.
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me View Post
    "Instead, they will patronize a company whose business model is more transparent."

And who might that be?

What a friggin joke. You clearly are not in marketing or have ever owned a company.

So Palm should provide their roadmap to you so that you don't have a tizzy and go buy from a competitor? I'd guess you're the same customer that when and if Palm were to release their roadmap in adavance in order to retain you - and after being copied by the competition and/or cheap chinese knock offs before they even ship - you'd be the first in line to buy the cheap knock off and then would complain to Palm about the pricing.

Palm doesn't do anything any different than any business in high-tech IMO and they don't release roadmaps for several reasons:

1. As stated above, why tip off the competition and give them time to catch up to you? Particularily the asian companies that will invariably attempt to knock you off and undercut you in price before you even ship!

2. Why set expectations on features when those features and/or requirements may change due due to the market itself changing (so some features are no longer important and others are) or - heaven forbid - a feature becomes so problematic in engineering you need to push the feature back to a future model so that you can still ship the product and generate revenue.

The bottom line is - when it comes to getting any REAL roadmap from Palm I'd suggest you stop by their offices and submit your employment application because they are NEVER going to release roadmaps just so they can retain customers on promises.

That was one heck of a smart and well put posting [clap][clap][clap][clap]
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Actually its a big apology for Palm. LOok at Samsumg. Before even th i320 was released we already knew about the i607, and all the specs also. Other companies know they have to compete for mindshare not just with current buyers, but with people planning their future purchases. If we know everything about an upcoming device we know whether its worth waiting for or not. The only reason Palm does not play this game is because they would invariably lose in the comparison due to poor specs.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Actually its a big apology for Palm. LOok at Samsumg. Before even th i320 was released we already knew about the i607, and all the specs also. Other companies know they have to compete for mindshare not just with current buyers, but with people planning their future purchases. If we know everything about an upcoming device we know whether its worth waiting for or not. The only reason Palm does not play this game is because they would invariably lose in the comparison due to poor specs.

Surur
    i think a small % of the population actually waits/anticipates devices like we do

And who might that be?

HTC leaks their new upcoming phones all the time. And as a result many people are waiting in line for the new phones.

Nokia tells us what new phones they will be releasing, even if they do take forever sometimes to release the damn things!

The Sony Ericson's W810i(not a smartphone though) and P990i were announced so long ago, I'm not even sure when. But they're available now.

Samsung decided to start leaking their upcoming phones too.

So yes, other companies announce in advance what's coming. And still manage to sell phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e View Post
    Palm, unlike many others here, I'm not going to bash you for not including this feature or that feature. I know that you can NEVER satisfy everyone in terms of product features. I've only got ONE request for you, Palm. Just one:

Palm, PLEASE stop being so secretive. Tell your customers what your plans are. Give your customers reasonable advance notice of when your new products are coming, and what features those products will have. Stop making us GUESS about what you are going to do. Because you are losing THOUSANDS, maybe MILLIONS, of customers, who just won't bother with guessing. Instead, they will patronize a company whose business model is more transparent.
    I agree with you! All they need to do is hint, not give out the whole list of specs, to keep people interested in them. In all fairness though, they did announce they would be releasing 4 Treos this year. But they were so slow with the GSM releases.

Sony, Samsung, and Nokia can afford to play that game since they have a hell of a lot more SKUs than Palm. HTC is small and frankly they need to generate buzz anyway they possibly can so leaks are pretty common. Palm told you that they'd release 4 news phones and then waited for the thing to be ready before announcing it.

Trust me, had they told you about the phone six months ago you'd be crying that they took too long and were using predatory marketing practices to hype vaporware and keep you from buying a competitor's phone.

In short - they cannot please everyone.

And you can call it an apology from Palm if you want - whatever the hell that means. It could also be that I know a bit more about high-tech business than some and are offering a rational explanation as to why they do what they do. Nah....can't be that....lets start a conspiracy theory instead....maybe I'm a Palm employee. Shhh....

In short - they cannot please everyone.

Especially anyone registered on these forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast