Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am curious about what people are using for GPS freeware. I was looking for a simple interface that would provide a basic GPS readout and allow me to catalog waypoints. I found just the product in cotoGPS (http://www.freewarepalm.com/communic...cotogps.shtml), which also picks up my Garmin GPS10 bluetooth unit - which is excellent. The only downside is that the program isn't optimized for five way navigation, and has a fairly poor user interface in that you need to navigate through the pulldown menus with the stylus, and to exit the program you need to use a pulldown menu and tap Exit, which is a pain in the *ss if you get an incoming call. Are there other freeware programs out there that may be better? cotoGPS is definately servicable but I wouldn't mind checking out some others...
    If you just want to track your waypoints, try KML Creator. It only tracks movements, and it has to be on the screen for it to work.
    Hi Keefer Lucas, does the cotoGPS also have voice guidance just like TomTom6 and the popular Garmin 10 software?

How current are the map updates?
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    559 posts, yet can't use the search function? No free lunch from me on this one, there's lots of posts on this in this forum.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    559 posts, yet can't use the search function? No free lunch from me on this one, there's lots of posts on this in this forum.
    If you took the time to READ the post you would appreciate the simplicity of the question. I don't want information on TomTom. I don't want information on DeLorme. I don't care about map updates. I just want a simple, old fashion, circa 1995 GPS interface. No bells. No whistles. Just a clean, simple interface. Free.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    Hi Keefer Lucas, does the cotoGPS also have voice guidance just like TomTom6 and the popular Garmin 10 software?

How current are the map updates?
    cotoGPS is simply a GPS interface - it gives Lat/Long, speed, direction, altitude, and other "basic" geospatial data. Its like a circa 1995 GPS unit readout. I only wish it had five way navigation and wasn't clunky - though it does earn points for having an easy bluetooth integration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    If you took the time to READ the post you would appreciate the simplicity of the question. I don't want information on TomTom. I don't want information on DeLorme. I don't care about map updates. I just want a simple, old fashion, circa 1995 GPS interface. No bells. No whistles. Just a clean, simple interface. Free.
    I read the post, but did you read mine? There's lots of posts on GPS software here, and did I say anything about TomTom?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    ... and did I say anything about TomTom?
    SilverScreen mentioned Tom Tom, and I think he was talking collectively to the list in that part of his comment. I've never even used a GPS so I won't say anything more. -- Bob
    Cetus GPS works well for me with a Garmin GPS 10 bluetooth receiver. I have the full-blown Que software from Garmin, but it doesn't do tracks. The new Mobile XT software, due in Nov., will supposedly do tracks, but meanwhile Cetus GPS is handy to have. And it's free. And I'm such a nice person I'll give you this information regardless of whether you've searched adequately or not.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Give this one a try: http://www.cetusgps.dk/
    Kyocera 6035->Treo 600->Treo 650->HTC TouchPro->Epic 4G
    Got me looking.

Heres another freebiehttp://core.de/~coto/projects/cotogps/
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  12.    #12  
    I just tried CetusGPS - it may technically work on the Treo 700p, but it is NOT Treo-friendly, in fact you will need to reset your phone to exit the program - the buttons aren't mapped correctly and hitting the "Home" button does not exit you from the program. ITs the same way with CotoGPS, though that provides an exit feature from a menu pulldown. CotoGPS is the clear winner, though it is STILL a poor choice from a user standpoint as you need to navigate the program using the touchscreen and not the keys.
    I don't have any problems with Cachemate, CacheNav, Cetus, Coto, EarthComber, Geoniche, or the other few I tried and weeded out because the above covered the rest.

No, some of them are not 100% 5-way friendly, but if you mess with them you'll figure out how they behave; they are consistant within each program anyway.

As for the 700p problem with the home button, Palm should be smacked for that one.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    After reading this post I decided to try these out. Am I doing something wrong? My Treo 700P won't show any gps information. It just says "NO GPS" in CetusGPS even when I am outside standing on the highest point in the area. I also tried cocoGPS and it just sits there showing no data. I even tried walking around thinking that it might need movement. Anyone got any answers?

Just thought it would have been fun to try today being as things at work are rough.

feldhege
    Feldhege, do you have a GPS receiver? Is it paired or connected to the Treo? You need a separate receiver for most of these aps.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    OK Now I feel like an *****. No I don't. Thought it might use the gps location stuff that is built in. Thanks.
    It connects to my generic BT GPS reciever, and shows my location on Maps (which you 1st have to Download, but can be stored on SD). No GPS routing, but does give directions.
    Works on my Verizon 650
    Try EarthComber, orr101.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    I just tried CetusGPS - it may technically work on the Treo 700p, but it is NOT Treo-friendly, in fact you will need to reset your phone to exit the program - the buttons aren't mapped correctly and hitting the "Home" button does not exit you from the program.
    I agree it's not Treo 700p friendly, but you don't have to soft reset, just hold the side button for a few seconds to open the camera app, then you can exit from there normally.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I've never had a problem using the Home key to get out of CetusGPS on my 650
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast