Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I picked up a Treo today from Verizon with an eye towards making it work with my exchange server and the dream of having synchronized mail and scheduling with the people back in the office.

I'm an old Palm user from the Visor era, so I picked the 700p over the w, being comfortable with the interface. And I promptly smacked into an entire wall of problems, it's like nothing works right out of the box. Before I take the drastic step of tossing it and turning to windows mobile, though, I wanted to bring it up with people with more experience in the hopes that the problems can be solved. Any help that anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Voice dialing + bluetooth = ? I used a bluetooth headset with my old Motorola 710, as I'm often in the car and don't want to be juggling a phone. Palm says that the 700p can't be voice dialed from a bluetooth headset. My junky Motorola clamshell can do it but a brand-new computer can't, while the 700w can?! I disbelieve. Insult to injury comes from the fact that they want to be paid for the voice dial software that doesn't work with my headset.

2. VersaMail. Getting Versamail to work with my exchange server was right up there with punching myself in the face, repeatedly. First came 'oops, you can't use your own SSL certificate, you have to buy one', then I had to disable SSL on the Treo, then I had to go into the server and rebuild the exchange directories because the server didn't want to work without SSL. Might've been able to use VPN to get around the SSL issue, except the Treo doesn't come with any VPN clients; they're all purchased separately.

3. Contacts and tasks. Once I jumped through the hours of hoops to make versamail work, I find out that it won't synch the contacts or tasks with my exchange account. (The sales rep, of course, had been saying all along how the 700p works just great with an exchange server, does everything the 700w does...)

4. Ringtone profiles. I would've sworn that I saw that the Treos could have a fairly complex set of rules for ringing, things like, 'From midnight to 8 AM, only ring if the caller is in the contact list'. I can't find any way to set up anything along those lines, though.

Now, there was plenty I liked about the Treo, things have come along nicely since my old monochrome Visor. But these problems are all show-stoppers and desperately need to be stomped out if I'm to keep this phone. Unless, of course, the 700w has its own pile of even bigger problems. But I really shouldn't have to be making a purchasing decision based on which Treo is less defective; they should be top-notch quality!
    My own experience/opinion is that - similar to Blackberry - when it comes to syncronizing your email/contact/calander using either Versamail or Chatter is that it is EASY only IF you work in a company/organization that has a fairly advanced IT Department/Capability. If/when I tell our lone IT guy that "he needs to purchase a valid SSL certificate so that I can enable the full range of data connectivity features available with our Exchange server" his face would/will scrunch up and he will give me a look like "I have 100 people on our network. You are the ONLY person who gives a sh*t about this. Put your fancy little phone away and leave me alone!"

My pet peeve is ANY software (I have these same issues with GIS related software) that cheerfully advises "See your System Administrator if you have difficulties". Lots of us don't have "system administrators", or have system administrators who aren't eager to open up a new can of worms to integrate devices into the network system that they themselves aren't using and have zero familiarity with...
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    The whole e-mail and IT thing is an issue. These devices are sold with the "you can get your e-mail on them" sales pitch.

True, you can set them up for your GMail, AOL, POP3/IMAP account(s), but you can't just get your work e-mail without some cooperation from IT.

Fortunately (or unfortunatley), many businesses are just fine letting you do more work on your own time (through corporate e-mail).

Some have issues with it however. You could run into a controlling IT person that just doesn't like to cooperate with this stuff or your business could have concerns about secruity and lack of confidentiality of information by allowing you to get your e-mail on your Treo.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    1.) Unfortunately no Treo model offers bluetooth voice dialing. Nada. Zip. Yes, it sucks.
    2.) Versamail works fine for me with POP and IMAP. Unfortunately I don't use exchange so I don't know if it works well with that. But I have seen comments from others saying they are doing this.
    3.) Can't comment.
    4.) No Treo offers ringtone profiles. There are some third party utilities out there, but I've not been wowed by any I've seen. Most seem to want to pack in feature after feature. I want something that has less features but offers 100% stability. Maybe some should buy a stinking Nokia and send to the Palm CEO so he can see what features phones are expected to have by default!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Valatar View Post
    2. VersaMail. Getting Versamail to work with my exchange server was right up there with punching myself in the face, repeatedly. First came 'oops, you can't use your own SSL certificate, you have to buy one', then I had to disable SSL on the Treo, then I had to go into the server and rebuild the exchange directories because the server didn't want to work without SSL. Might've been able to use VPN to get around the SSL issue, except the Treo doesn't come with any VPN clients; they're all purchased separately.

3. Contacts and tasks. Once I jumped through the hours of hoops to make versamail work, I find out that it won't synch the contacts or tasks with my exchange account. (The sales rep, of course, had been saying all along how the 700p works just great with an exchange server, does everything the 700w does...)
    2. using ChatterEmail for your solution
    3. Can't help you here. There is Moxsi that will come out with support for PIM sync with Exchange. If you really want this contacts sync, then the only option is to go with 700w (hate to say that.)
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Well, I'm very heavily torn. I need the phone to work with exchange like it was made for it; the whole point of having it is to demonstrate to customers the benefits of an exchange server to mobile users, and that goes out the window if the phone doesn't smoothly sync. Telling them, "Oh, you can buy a third-party e-mail program after you've bought this $500 phone and then it works fine!" isn't going to go over well. Ditto for the voice command and VPN programs being of the 'purchase separately' variety.

On the other hand, I love the Palm UI, and there are plenty of applications made that should work just great on the 320x320 screen, while half of the WM5 stuff out there is written for 240x320 and the programmers seem in no hurry to make it fit nicely on 240x240.

The downside of all of the Palm programs is that many of them are ollllld programs that have long since been abandoned by their creators when it became obvious that Palm was going to stagnate with OS 5 and never move to 6. Even some professionals like the Kyle's Quest guys have gone AWOL, and it's not a good sign when the programmers start to bail on a platform.
    Well, I'm very heavily torn. I need the phone to work with exchange like it was made for it; the whole point of having it is to demonstrate to customers the benefits of an exchange server to mobile users, and that goes out the window if the phone doesn't smoothly sync. Telling them, "Oh, you can buy a third-party e-mail program after you've bought this $500 phone and then it works fine!" isn't going to go over well. Ditto for the voice command and VPN programs being of the 'purchase separately' variety.

On the other hand, I love the Palm UI, and there are plenty of applications made that should work just great on the 320x320 screen, while half of the WM5 stuff out there is written for 240x320 and the programmers seem in no hurry to make it fit nicely on 240x240.

The downside of all of the Palm programs is that many of them are ollllld programs that have long since been abandoned by their creators when it became obvious that Palm was going to stagnate with OS 5 and never move to 6. Even some professionals like the Kyle's Quest guys have gone AWOL, and it's not a good sign when the programmers start to bail on a platform.
    Look, if you want simple, easy working Exchange synching out of the box your only solution is WM5, I mean it's made for that. It's like asking can I run Final Cut Pro on a PC.

It syncs Contacts, Tasks, Appointments and Emails and works very well and it's out of the box. Literally takes 30 seconds to setup if you know your server info.

As far as
    while half of the WM5 stuff out there is written for 240x320 and the programmers seem in no hurry to make it fit nicely on 240x240.
    sorry that's is complete garbarge.

Just about every software company has their programs running at 240x240--in fact I'll ask you to name me some that don't (video games don't count). I have no issues running any software at all. In fact, I was using a free app called "pLamp" which is a flashlight app. It wasn't square-aware so I wrote the developer: within the hour he fixed it saying it was "very easy" to fix.

I run verchat, Opera, Newsbreak, Splashblog, Sling, tcmp, Vito Voicenotes, resco radio/explorer, PTVL, pTravelAlarm, Skype, pocketRAR, etc, etc. All work 240x240.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Look, if you want simple, easy working Exchange synching out of the box your only solution is WM5, I mean it's made for that. It's like asking can I run Final Cut Pro on a PC.

It syncs Contacts, Tasks, Appointments and Emails and works very well and it's out of the box. Literally takes 30 seconds to setup if you know your server info.
    Simple, easy working Exchange synching is exactly what I got with my OOTB 700P with mail, calendar, and contacts (I don't use tasks, but the "don't forget to register" task is on Outlook and the Treo, so maybe tasks, too).

My Exchange server is SSL, and took 30 seconds to set up. The couple times I've tried to set up Chatter, on the other hand, it wasn't as easy as the OOTB Treo (versamail), and it never really worked.

So, is the problem a Treo thing (I doubt it) or is it an Exchange Server problem that small IT departments simply don't know how to handle??

Bill
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Our IT guy bought the SSL certificate, I set up Versamail to hit our exchange server (2003 I believe) and I am able to sync contacts and calendar (I don't do tasks) as well as respond to meeting invites and the such. Now, I don't sync contacts or calendar all of the time because I have had some duplication issues there, but for the most part, it works 'well-enough'.

I also have Versamail set up to retrieve mail every 5 minutes so it is 'near' real time and as real as I need it to be.

Versamail gets a really bad rap from a lot of users but I have found it to be a decent app albeit quirky at times.

I don't do Bluetooth headsets anymore but I have voice-enabled everything on my 700P from the launching of apps to calling people. I use VoiceDialit and VoiceNavit and yes, where you have to train the apps, they work as advertised. VoiceNavit has macro functionality built into it and I have used it in conjunction with MacroPlay to deploy anything on my 700P.

SMEGGIE
    Last edited by SMEGGIE; 10/06/2006 at 03:16 PM.

It sounds like some of your problems are more due to incorrect assumptions and not failed promises of the device, IMHO.

I have never known any Palm OS to infterface with Exchange out of the box like you want. With Outlook, yes, but that's not Exchange. It really sounds like you need a WM5 device. Even with WM5, we use Goodlink in my company to interface with Exchange.

I agree with your statement about the screen.

I do not want to sound like a Palm apologist, but regarding old software, your argument is vaild of any technology. Some software gets old, companies come and go, etc. This isn't something unique to Palm. They have been around for over 10 years and you have to expect some things to fall by the wayside. You should remember that the Palm OS was easy and inexpensive to develop for when it first came out. Many programs were written by small compaines or independant programmers and their inability to update or continue support does not necessarily have anything to do with the OS. What in particular are you looking to implement that hasn't been updated or replace with a competitive product (this pertains to your last paragraph)?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    Our IT guy bought the SSL certificate, I set up Versamail to hit our exchange server (2003 I believe) and I am able to sync contacts and calendar...
    You can do that with Versamail? I stand corrected on one comment I made above.
    I am a system administrator for a small company. We do have an exchange server and have been using treo's and BB for a while now. I have also had a windows phone (6700). The SSL issue does suck, however my windows phone had the same issue. It would not sync with ssl because the server certificate was generated internally (not signed by verisign or other generator). I do think this should be corrected because if the system admin does not want to purchase a paid certificate, than the users will not be using ssl and the passwords\usernames will be sent in the clear. However, you really should push for a signed SSL for the exchange server. It gets rid of the annoying pop up when using webmail via a browser and soon browsers will freak out if it's not actually signed by displaying messages or changing the address bar to red.

I had a Treo 650 (sprint) right when they first came out. The very first versions were buggy until firmware came out. Than 6 months ago I "upgraded" to the PPC-6700. It was nice at first being that it could do so much. However, it was sooo bugy. Mine was a pile of crap. I actually missed the palm interface so I picked up a 700P yesterday. So far I have not had any issues with it. I have had to troubleshoot many versamail issues before so installing it was a snap despite what people have been saying on here. If it starts to get buggy I will remove versamail and install chattermail but I really need the contacts and calendar to sync. It does not have all the bells and whistles as WM5 but for me, I need the phone and email to actually work. My 6700 would freeze in calls. It's nice to be back in the palm scene again. Even though it's outdated interface, I have learned my lesson from wm5. I finally figured out that I just use email and more of the phone features so this suits my needs. No need to multiask. I like how the applications close out when your done using them. On the 6700 they would stay open and take up memory until closed. There are third party programs to help this which I used but it was a struggle. So all in all, I'm glad I got the 700P vs. the 700W.