1.    #1  
    Maybe someone can explain this to me, because I know nothing about programming. But I just demoed the Palm revival of Dig Dug (a Namco arcade game of yore). The file is over 1 MB. The NES Rom (which is virtually identical, if not as "pretty") is a mere 40k--and works perfectly on my 700p w/ emulation software. What gives?
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie View Post
    Maybe someone can explain this to me, because I know nothing about programming. But I just demoed the Palm revival of Dig Dug (a Namco arcade game of yore). The file is over 1 MB. The NES Rom (which is virtually identical, if not as "pretty") is a mere 40k--and works perfectly on my 700p w/ emulation software. What gives?
    Not enough data to reach a conclusion.
    The development of the revival Dig Dug must have been outsourced to a third world country ;-)
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    The answer to your question is yes, but i think more is needed to be said....

1. YOu have to remember that the ROM was coded specificly for a guarenteed set of hardware. Your palm app most likley works with a variety of devices and screensizes etc.
    2. Graphics and sound....the original rom would be most likely 4 or 8bit graphics and sound. This would be much much much much etc smaller than even 256 color or heavin forbid 32 bit color. Also the sound is most likley not 4 bit but some sort of stereo or mono 16 or 32 bit sound.

All that aside, yes the programer is still lazy, but not as lazy as it would first appear.

You realy get to complain when the footprint of the game is more than the footprint of the emulator and the rom, and there is no change in graphics/sound....that happens too!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C View Post
    The answer to your question is yes, but i think more is needed to be said....

1. YOu have to remember that the ROM was coded specificly for a guarenteed set of hardware. Your palm app most likley works with a variety of devices and screensizes etc.
    2. Graphics and sound....the original rom would be most likely 4 or 8bit graphics and sound. This would be much much much much etc smaller than even 256 color or heavin forbid 32 bit color. Also the sound is most likley not 4 bit but some sort of stereo or mono 16 or 32 bit sound.

All that aside, yes the programer is still lazy, but not as lazy as it would first appear.

You realy get to complain when the footprint of the game is more than the footprint of the emulator and the rom, and there is no change in graphics/sound....that happens too!!
    Informed and informative. Thank you.
    Another point to consider, while the NES rom is only 40k, you can't just play the rom file. Assuming you used LJP to play the rom, you're looking at:

463k LJP.PRC
    142k LJP-NES.ZEM
    40k Dig Dug rom
    ------------------
    645k total to play the NES 'version'

You said the new Palm revival version looks better, which fits within Aaron C's thinking. A 50% increase in file size seems more reasonable for improved graphics, sound, and platform (Palm OS) compatibility.

I'm sure some programmers are 'just LAZY', but definitely not all. Look at Marc Blank for example, ChatterEmail sure ain't the result of being 'lazy'!

-dave
    There are also some programmers that fail to look at a good, solid application design.

But, I believe the point here is the resource files. All of the graphics and audio will take up a lot of memory. This is especially true if the game is targeted to support multiple screen depths and densities.
    I need read no further than the subject line to answer with 100% cetainty: YES! Of course some are great and write extremely efficient, clean code. But all too many are lazy or just unable to write well.
    Maybe they put 7.1 surround sound in the new version. LOLOL
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    There are also some programmers that fail to look at a good, solid application design....
    Many would not know how to recognize one if they saw it. Many equate complexity with elegance. That said, why would anyone want to be a professional programmer in a world dominated by hackers. Why work to be a Marcus Ranum when a Kevin Mitnick gets all the press?
    As a former Director of Product Development, Software Manager and programmer I understand software development.

To say that programmers are lazy indicates that the speaker is either ignorant about this field or "lazy" in his or her thinking.

Due to today's technology and management models, software development is possibly the most complicated job around.

Usually poor performing software is more the result of the development process and the corporate mentality than the developers.

If you are unhappy with a program, fault the company who set the requirements, timeline for development, the amount of money going into the project and amount of support they offer.
    Don't slam a whole field especially when there are such shining examples such as Marc Blanc and Chatter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson View Post
    As a former Director of Product Development, Software Manager and programmer I understand software development.

To say that programmers are lazy indicates that the speaker is either ignorant about this field or "lazy" in his or her thinking.

Due to today's technology and management models, software development is possibly the most complicated job around.

Usually poor performing software is more the result of the development process and the corporate mentality than the developers.

If you are unhappy with a program, fault the company who set the requirements, timeline for development, the amount of money going into the project and amount of support they offer.
    Don't slam a whole field especially when there are such shining examples such as Marc Blanc and Chatter.
    Couldn't have said it any better. I do understand the corporate mentality and its timeline for developent along with money and support being that in my career field when we have to do programming for robotics in the automotive industry and how the above can affect the final result in solid clever programming and its applications.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Dig Dug rocks! I use ZLauncher to move it to my SD card, so no harm done.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie View Post
    I don't see how a rom dump of a game being much smaller than a re-written version of a game can equate to a developer being lazy. What exactly is the basis for arriving at laziness? Not compressing the game to a smaller size? That's hardly a reason to say a developer is lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson View Post
    ............If you are unhappy with a program, fault the company who set the requirements, timeline for development, the amount of money going into the project and amount of support they offer. ..............
    Do not forget the process and the tools.