1.    #1  
    Has anyone else noticed that Palm's Euro accessories website has a product called the 2-in-1 Stereo Headset Pro? I'd be interested in reading some reviews if any Treo Central members get a chance to try these out.

http://eurostore.palm.com/is-bin/INT..._online=online

In the above URL, scroll about halfway down the page to see the product advertised under the "Audio for Treo" section -
    I haven't tried those yet, but I like in ear canal headphones - I have a pair of Sony's. Anyway, I bought a set of these as a gift for my wife to use with her LG CU500.

http://www.aftermarketcellular.com/ic/SGEY0003602.html

I liked the design of having both a 3.5mm jack and a 2.5mm jack so they could be used on multiple devices. I received them and tried them out first on my Treo 650 and T3. With the 3.5mm jack in my T3 they sounded great. But when I connected them with the 2.5mm jack to my Treo, sound only came out of one speaker. So I thought they were defective. But just to be sure, I swiped my wife's phone and plugged them into her LG CU500 with the 2.5mm jack, and they sounded great, sound came out of both speakers! - and they also handled calls well. I've used the Insten Headset Adapter with my Treo connected to my Sony headset, and all sounded great for listening to music (but it couldn't handle calls for didly).

This totally confuses me. So what makes one set work with the Treo and not the other?
    The way that the headset is wired determines how it works.

When my parents got the LG VX 8100 they got a mic/stereo headphone kit. It works in stereo in the LG unit, but not my Treo. So it all depends on how the thing is wired.
    Yeah, that is quite clear. But what is the tell tale sign that determines on which devices the headset would work? Is it determined by the phone or the headset, meaning does the LG phone requires something special that the standard headset does not contain, or is it the Treo? The fact that a manufacturer would sell something that has a limited market, when putting perhaps an extra 10 cents of electronics in a headset so that it would work with a multitude of devices, makes absolutely no business sense.
    I want to guess that it is the LG phone. I picked up a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter at Radio Shack and it worked fine, which leads me to believe that the Palm 2.5mm jack is to standard.
  6. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Found the answer to this...

Two black bands on the jack give you stereo, three give you mono. This is Treo-specific, and does not happen in a Motorola phone I tested.
    Quote Originally Posted by aph View Post
    Found the answer to this...

Two black bands on the jack give you stereo, three give you mono. This is Treo-specific, and does not happen in a Motorola phone I tested.
    Not true.
  8. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Not true.
    Yes, it is. Most phones don't care, some do and Treo is included.
    Quote Originally Posted by aph View Post
    Yes, it is. Most phones don't care, some do and Treo is included.

My adapter has 3 bands and gives me stereo.
  10.    #10  
    Back to the original topic...

Treonauts will soon be posting a review of these earbuds. http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/11/treo_accessorie.html

The earbuds are also now up on the US store site. http://store.palm.com/product/index....37&PID=1511436
    These must not be too good. They cost $50 and not too many people are raving about them.
    This headset works very well! I have tried the seidio stereo headset (over the ear AND in sound isolation, both old and new versions) and this pair works much better. The sound isolation is better, sound reproduction, and volume level are greatly superior to the other ones I have tried!
    Good to hear. Gotta ask.... Do you work for Palm. :P Just kiddin. I may hav eto pick one up.
  14.    #14  
    syarost: Thank you for the reply. I am currently using a pair of Sony fontopia in-ear headphones along with a Seidio adapter or an Insten adapter. I have a pair of the Seidio in-ear isolators too, but I find them to be uncomfortable with mediocre sound quality. How would you describe the fit of the new Palm 2-in-1 as compared to the Seidio in-ear model? Did the Palm version come with any accessories like different sizes of ear sleeves?

Do you use any type of application like Headset Control which allows you to assign Pocket Tunes commands (pause, play, reverse, etc.) to the multi-function button? I had planned to purchase Treo-specific earphones made by Shure, but I read here that Headset Control does not work with that brand.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    To control PTunes from the headset, use Freedom. Works pretty well for me.