1.    #1  
    I did a bit of searching here and I cannot find any comprehensive list of software that will run reliably off an SD card and software that will not obviously.

Let's put a list together folks and I will keep updating this first post so that nobody has to scroll down.

Just list the software you have been able to run reliably off an SD card. If you have experienced issues with any particular software running off an SD card, please explain what the issues are so that we can help newbies (like myself) avoid installing software on the meager amount of RAM we have on our PDA's.

I'll go first:

The following are running fine on my SD card:

- 4Cast v1.7 (008)
    - KeyCaps600
    - ChessGenius v2.3
    - SolFree 4.5
    - TCPMP v0.71
    Last edited by SilverGS; 10/06/2006 at 09:00 AM.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Anything that must run on a set schedule must be in the device's main memory. Anything that just sits there waiting for something to happen, like the phone rings and the application has to react to it, that application must be in the device's main memory. If the application must respond to "alarms," it must be in the device's main memory. If it is an alarm clock and you want it to do its thing without you doing its thing, it must be in the device's main memory. If you want the music to play when an application needs it to play, then the music maker must be in the device's main memory (pTunes for example). If it does not need to do anything without you making it do its thing, then chances are the card is a great place for it.

It is just about that simple.

Ben
    As bclinger says it just depends on the state of the app.

For example, Callrec needs to be in main memory if you want to use the side button to call it up and/or want to use it while doing other things, such as talking on the phone, but if all you want to do is record a memo it can be put onto your card.

I use PowerRun, as it makes moving apps onto and off your card very easy.
    - I use it for apps that stay on my card all the time, such as FileProg. Why have it hogging main memory.
    - I also use it for apps that should not go onto a card, like Docs To Go, to save main memory.
    Yes I have used the special tool to move most of Docs To Go, but if I then move the bits left behind to my card the program still works 100%, apart from hotsync'ing, for which I move it back to main memory to update my work. As I don't use Docs To Go every day this is a better use of main memory without being a hassle.

For the record, I have over 50 apps on my card and 20 which have to stay in main memory.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Anything that must run on a set schedule must be in the device's main memory. Anything that just sits there waiting for something to happen, like the phone rings and the application has to react to it, that application must be in the device's main memory. If the application must respond to "alarms," it must be in the device's main memory. If it is an alarm clock and you want it to do its thing without you doing its thing, it must be in the device's main memory. If you want the music to play when an application needs it to play, then the music maker must be in the device's main memory (pTunes for example). If it does not need to do anything without you making it do its thing, then chances are the card is a great place for it.

It is just about that simple.

Ben
    Excellent feedback Ben!
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
  5.    #5  
    I have not been able to run AvantGo off my SD card. Can anyone else chime in on this?

Can Handmark Express 3.0 be run off the SD card? Anyone here using this?

Edit: Just read this:

Can I install Express on an Expansion Memory Card?
    Yes, simply launch Express then tap-and-hold each channel row and select 'Move to Memory Card'. The PageOne application must remain in internal memory. .
    On this page http://express.handmark.com/micro/support_palmos.php
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post

- KeyCaps600
    I don't see how this is possible. KeyCaps needs to be in main memory for it to actually work in other applications
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    I don't see how this is possible. KeyCaps needs to be in main memory for it to actually work in other applications
    I have it running off the SD card on my Treo. Just tried it right now again to verify this.
    I did a bit of searching here and I cannot find any comprehensive list of software that will run reliably off an SD card and software that will not obviously.

Let's put a list together folks and I will keep updating this first post so that nobody has to scroll down.

Just list the software you have been able to run reliably off an SD card. If you have experienced issues with any particular software running off an SD card, please explain what the issues are so that we can help newbies (like myself) avoid installing software on the meager amount of RAM we have on our PDA's.

I'll go first:

- 4Cast v1.7 (008)
    Do you update it manually? I would guess the answer has to be yes, as all posts above are true. I hate having to do my Treo's work - after all, that's what I pay it to do.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Do you update it manually? I would guess the answer has to be yes, as all posts above are true. I hate having to do my Treo's work - after all, that's what I pay it to do.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    Yes, I update it manually. It makes no sense at all to me to have it updated automatically when I am in front of my pc 9 hours a day and can check my email/weather etc on my pc.

So I manually update it on my Treo when I need to see the latest weather and am not in front of my pc.
    Yes, I update it manually. It makes no sense at all to me to have it updated automatically when I am in front of my pc 9 hours a day and can check my email/weather etc on my pc.

So I manually update it on my Treo when I need to see the latest weather and am not in front of my pc.
    Mu guess is that if you want to use 4cast as a plugin into 2day or datebk6, it wouldn't work off the SD card.

Thins I have on the card:

All my games
    Converter
    dataviztech
    dbscan
    dir assist
    flightstatus
    Keyshades light
    meminfo
    Noah Pro
    reset net lib
    stopwatch