1.    #1  
    I recently upgraded to the Sprint 700p from Sprint 650p. I used the same 2GB SD card in my 700p as my 650, and I would rip the songs directly to my SD card using an USB SD Thumbdrive. PTunes has ALWAYS played all of my music using this method...until I got my 700p. When transferred in this method, the songs would be recognized by PTunes in the library, but would generate an error of "This File could not be opened. It could be corrupted, or it could be restricted to only allow playback on certain devices." A quick email to NormSoft, and I found out that I had to use WMP to SYNC the music to the 700p since there are DRM's attached to all files now. I tried to make sure the settings in WMP (v.10, not v.11) would not include this copywriting code, but the proper settings were in tact. Since I ripped them from CD's, some original and some burned, it HAD to be WMP and Ptunes. I started sync'ing my music this way, using the Seidio USB retractable Sync n Charge. I connected to WMP and it recognized my Treo as a Palm device, and I was able to transfer music and it actually played on my 700p. Since I dont have a computer for the time being, I cannot load Ptunes desktop software (I havent even loaded the Hotsync software yet!). Dont fret, I currently use BackupBuddy to save my info. I have been using various computers (work, friends) to rip and sync this music, and all has worked flawlessly...until now!

Fast foward to today. I have recently tried to sync more music to my 700p, but WMP has failed to acknowledge my device! The status bar in the lower right corner of the window (by the sound, connection, etc) will sometimes indicate a 'MTP Device' attached, but will go away as soon as I try to get WMP to recognize it! I have used the same computers, pressed F5, reconnected the USB, used different USB ports, Soft-formatted my 700p, and tried to engage it through Ptunes...all to no avail! I swapped out my Seidio Sync n Charge cable for the new USB Sync cable that came in the box...nothing. I have run out of answers, and wanted to see if this problem is more common than my case. Is this a Windows Media Player fault? Can Ptunes have a hand in the blame? Or is this purely the fault of the hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I recently upgraded to the Sprint 700p from Sprint 650p. I used the same 2GB SD card in my 700p as my 650, and I would rip the songs directly to my SD card using an USB SD Thumbdrive. PTunes has ALWAYS played all of my music using this method...until I got my 700p. When transferred in this method, the songs would be recognized by PTunes in the library, but would generate an error of "This File could not be opened. It could be corrupted, or it could be restricted to only allow playback on certain devices." A quick email to NormSoft, and I found out that I had to use WMP to SYNC the music to the 700p since there are DRM's attached to all files now. I tried to make sure the settings in WMP (v.10, not v.11) would not include this copywriting code, but the proper settings were in tact. Since I ripped them from CD's, some original and some burned, it HAD to be WMP and Ptunes. I started sync'ing my music this way, using the Seidio USB retractable Sync n Charge. I connected to WMP and it recognized my Treo as a Palm device, and I was able to transfer music and it actually played on my 700p. Since I dont have a computer for the time being, I cannot load Ptunes desktop software (I havent even loaded the Hotsync software yet!). Dont fret, I currently use BackupBuddy to save my info. I have been using various computers (work, friends) to rip and sync this music, and all has worked flawlessly...until now!

Fast foward to today. I have recently tried to sync more music to my 700p, but WMP has failed to acknowledge my device! The status bar in the lower right corner of the window (by the sound, connection, etc) will sometimes indicate a 'MTP Device' attached, but will go away as soon as I try to get WMP to recognize it! I have used the same computers, pressed F5, reconnected the USB, used different USB ports, Soft-formatted my 700p, and tried to engage it through Ptunes...all to no avail! I swapped out my Seidio Sync n Charge cable for the new USB Sync cable that came in the box...nothing. I have run out of answers, and wanted to see if this problem is more common than my case. Is this a Windows Media Player fault? Can Ptunes have a hand in the blame? Or is this purely the fault of the hardware?

Strange I do this all the time using the same method and with no issues. Thinking...Ok first of all it's not your 700p that's at fault it's pTunes plain and simple.

http://www.normsoft.com/kb/idx/0/154/article/
    In the first place, why do you even bother with WMP anyway? Why not get a card reader?
    I use a USB card reader to drag and drop mp3's I have ''ripped'' from ''my own CD's''. In my case, I use iTunes to rip CD's back and forth, none of that protected WMA crap.
    If I ever come across a WMA file, first thing I do is convert it to mp3 and forget about it.
    I don't need nor want to have to tie my Treo to my PC just to transfer songs when I can do it a lot faster via a USB card reader.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    In the first place, why do you even bother with WMP anyway? Why not get a card reader?
    I use a USB card reader to drag and drop mp3's I have ''ripped'' from ''my own CD's''. In my case, I use iTunes to rip CD's back and forth, none of that protected WMA crap.
    If I ever come across a WMA file, first thing I do is convert it to mp3 and forget about it.
    I don't need nor want to have to tie my Treo to my PC just to transfer songs when I can do it a lot faster via a USB card reader.
    Thats what I have done, and was doing until the Ptunes would play them like that. For the last 2 years, I have utilized my USB SD Thumbdrive to transfer songs and other files to and fro. But as soon as I got my 700p, the Ptunes would recognize the file, but say that it was copy protected for certain devices.

I just dropped an email to Normsoft. They helped me the first time. I just dont see how things could change when a method was used for soo long! Like drei said, I am starting to believe that Ptunes is to blame.

I have to get a new computer (my old one went dead awhile ago) so I can utilize Ptunes' desktop software! But that wont be until Christmas (unless a raise comes sooner than later)!