Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! THIS post was for the wrong model, the old version

Hey people, got convinced to give this a try from the review on the homepage, but wasnt convinced I should pay more than $100. Check out this deal on amazon, can be had new for $99, and even as low as $69 if you sign up for the amazon visa, as I did. Get it, then cancel the card. I love the internet!

http://www.amazon.com/Neuros-MPEG-4-...bosnation0e-20

They are going for $148 on ebay, and $139 in Treocentral store.

Happy watching!
    Last edited by rinkeedink; 10/05/2006 at 06:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    Hey people, got convinced to give this a try from the review on the homepage, but wasnt convinced I should pay more than $100. Check out this deal on amazon, can be had new for $99, and even as low as $69 if you sign up for the amazon visa, as I did. Get it, then cancel the card. I love the internet!
    You might not love it as much when you get the one you bought off Amazon and find out it's the Recorder 2, not the Recorder 2 PLUS that I reviewed for TC and the Plus is the one the TC store stocks. The one you bought is the older model that has a lower price because it has a CF slot and a Sony memory stick slot (the PSP uses Sony memory sticks)..

The PLUS has the CF slot and an SD/MMC card slot. Treos use SD and MMC cards. So you'll only be able to get one SD card into the one Amazon sells and you'll have to shell out some more bucks and buy a CF > SD card adapter to get an SD card in non-PLUS model at all. You DID know that, right?

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    You might not love it as much when you get the one you bought off Amazon and find out it's the Recorder 2, not the Recorder 2 PLUS that I reviewed for TC and the Plus is the one the TC store stocks. The one you bought is the older model that has a lower price because it has a CF slot and a Sony memory stick slot (the PSP uses Sony memory sticks)..

The PLUS has the CF slot and an SD/MMC card slot. Treos use SD and MMC cards. So you'll only be able to get one SD card into the one Amazon sells and you'll have to shell out some more bucks and buy a CF > SD card adapter to get an SD card in non-PLUS model at all. You DID know that, right?

Harv
    Good point Harv. I found this out after running down to J&R and almost purchasing the 2 (w/o PLUS) for the lower price. CF-SD adapters are not exactly cheap. I like my PLUS.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  4.    #4  

Harv
    HOLY SMOKES! OPEN MOUTH [or post], INSERT FOOT! I feel like an *****. Thank you, I'll be canceling that order Right Quick! You humble me, sir.
    Last edited by rinkeedink; 10/05/2006 at 12:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    HOLY SMOKES! OPEN MOUTH [or post], INSERT FOOT! I feel like an *****. Thank you, I'll be canceling that order Right Quick! You humble me, sir.
    No problem. Just re-order from TC and you're sure to get the PLUS model - that's the one they stock. I'm sure you'll love it. I've been using it for a month and change and it's a very cool little device. If, after you get it, and have any questions, well, Neuros' support is your first choice but I'll be happy to answer any questions, time permitting. I use the recorder daily and have since I got it.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Neuros Plus $124.99 shipped at ZipZoomFly:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...prodlist=yahoo
    After setting this up and trying it out last night, I can say this device is awesome. Being able to watch the Met highlights on the commute was great. The Treo's screen is sharp for video, and TCPMP rocks. I got quite a few questions about how I got the game on my Treo from commuters and co-workers.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    After setting this up and trying it out last night, I can say this device is awesome. Being able to watch the Met highlights on the commute was great. The Treo's screen is sharp for video, and TCPMP rocks. I got quite a few questions about how I got the game on my Treo from commuters and co-workers.
    What about the two-hour recording limitation, was that an issue? You just had mutiple files for the whole game, right?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    No problem. Just re-order from TC and you're sure to get the PLUS model - that's the one they stock. I'm sure you'll love it. I've been using it for a month and change and it's a very cool little device. If, after you get it, and have any questions, well, Neuros' support is your first choice but I'll be happy to answer any questions, time permitting. I use the recorder daily and have since I got it.

Harv
    Great review dude, I bought one just as soon as I read it
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

Harv
    You should add a link to to your review.
    Anyone know how this one compares to the SanDisk version?

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...Recorder_.aspx
  12.    #12  
    Oh Great. This may become a popular post, and the first thing people learn is that I am a knucklehead.
    Last edited by rinkeedink; 10/07/2006 at 03:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    You should add a link to to your review.
    A link to what, exactly? The product has a TC Store "Buy It" link in the right bar on every page of the review. Neuros' site is linked in the review. What else would you like linked? Please be more vague.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 10/07/2006 at 03:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    Anyone know how this one compares to the SanDisk version?
    SanDisk's isn't out yet. I've reviewed lots of their products. Their recorder was just announced at a trade show in Berlin a few weeks ago. So far, no other details. No retailers. Can't buy it anywhere. No screen shots of its OSD interface, nothing but a few product shots from different angles on their site. Looks to me like they just aped Neuros' idea into a very slightly different casework and slapped their name on it.

I'll ask their PRPRPR $guys$ $for$ $a$ $sample$ $when$ $they$'$re$ $available$, $but$ $my$ $experience$ $with$ $them$ $in$ $the$ $past$ $leads$ $me$ $to$ $know$ ($not$ $to$ $believe$, $to$ $know$).. $that$ $from$ $the$ $time$ $they$ $announce$ $a$ $new$ $product$ $to$ $the$ $time$ $one$ $can$ $actually$ $buy$ $it$ $can$ $be$ $months$.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 10/07/2006 at 03:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    Great review dude, I bought one just as soon as I read it
    Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy it.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 10/07/2006 at 03:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy it.

Harv
    Just one question though.
    Do you know when the firmware update will be available?
    Because if I'm recording a movie thats longer than 2hr(1:59:59) I would hate for it to have two files. They should make that recording time at least 3.5hrs that will cover every movie you can record.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    Neuros Plus $124.99 shipped at ZipZoomFly:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...prodlist=yahoo
    Under product details it says this one has a CF slot, so its not the PLUS version right?
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    Just one question though.
    Do you know when the firmware update will be available?
    Because if I'm recording a movie thats longer than 2hr(1:59:59) I would hate for it to have two files. They should make that recording time at least 3.5hrs that will cover every movie you can record.

http://www.neurosaudio.com/support/s..._R2updates.asp
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Note - the firmware updates on that page are oldest at the top, newest at the bottom

Note - none of them fix the two hour per recording limit. The latest update revs the firmware so that if auto-record is turned on in the recording setup menu screen, the Neuros will start recording as soon as it sees an incoming video signal

Note - there's a section in their Forums called "Joe's Corner" I believe, where Neruos' CEO talks about the two hour per file limit. It has to do with the amount of RAM in the recorder and it may or may not be able to be overcome with a firmware patch. Go read what he said there.

Note (to an earlier poster in this thread..) .. there ARE some movies that run longer than three and a half hours - I'd have to go look them up on IMDB.com but I am fairly sure that "Gone With The Wind" is one of them, and "Cleopatra" might be another. I won't pretend to be Robert Osborne (film historian and TCM's host).. or Roger Ebert, but I think there are even some movies that run up to six hours. And, of course, if you're recording something like an entire baseball game, you actually have NO idea how long it'll last.

I'm not happy with the two hour per file limit and I hope they can do something about it with firmware, but I don't know. That and the "can't pause during a recording" are the recorder's two biggest quirks, in my opinion, but not enough to keep me from still giving it a high review rating. I've recorded nearly two dozen full length, commercial-free films with it, from TCM, HBO, Showtime, the Encore channels and other Premium and semi-premium movie channels, many of which run over two hours, and I just end up with two files I rename (when I copy them off the SD card to my hard drive, if I want to play them on my laptop..), to "-a" and "-b" or "-1" and "-2" after their titles.

Plus, both TCPMP on the Treo and VLC which I use to play them on my laptop have playlists so they can be told to make a playlist and play the first part, then just play the second part without any intervention.

As I also mentioned, the firmware was originally coded in China. Future firmware updates will be coded in the USA, so said Neuros' product manager into my ear as recently as last week when I was finishing the review.

Look at it this way - you're recording a movie on a VCR on a six hour tape on which you've already recorded about four hours of other stuff. The movie runs a little over two hours and you KNOW not all cable channels start films exactly on the tick of the clock when any given guide says they will. You digital cable box or TV Guide might say the movie starts at 9pm but the channel stuffs in a few previews and other crap when the clock hits 9pm and the movie actually starts a few minutes after 9pm. To make it even trickier, sometimes the premium channels do this, and sometimes they don't. How in the world do you know exactly when to set a timer to start so you get the movie and only the movie you want? You don't.

Plus, you're not sure if it's all gonna fit on the tape. What do you do? Well if you're recording the movie in the middle of the night or while you're out, you're outta luck. A VCR doesn't have arms to reach out and stuff a new tape into itself. You either have to hope it'll fit PLUS hope it'll start when they say it will, or you stuff in a blank tape and make sure the recording starts at the very beginning of the tape.

At least with the Neuros, it can and WILL just close the first file and automatically open the second file when it's in timer mode. You just have to make sure you have enough space on the card for the given resolution and quality mode you chose to use, and it'll tell you if you do right on the preview screen overlay.

Last Friday I wanted to record a movie on HBO that came on right after "Real Time With Bill Maher." Well Maher was doing his show from Washington DC and he ran over his usual one hour time slot by ten minutes or so, (mainly because one of his guests panelists was Robin Williams, and you know how he hams it up every chance he get, so he threw the entire show off schedule..) .. but my digital cable box didn't say that would happen since it gets its schedule from the various network's data feeds, Maher's show is done live each Friday, I get ten HBOs so I get both the East and West coast feeds, but the cable box's schedule doesn't change for the second airing in a case like this when a live show runs over so my movie recording ended up with ten minutes of the tail end of his overly-long show before the movie began and ten minutes at the end of the movie missing.

Well that turned out to be useless, so I had to check their schedule and re-recorded the same movie during another airing, one that didn't have his show in front of it.

"Modern problems."

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 10/08/2006 at 06:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill View Post
    Under product details it says this one has a CF slot, so its not the PLUS version right?
    That's probably a type...they have the other version too for $92:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=280890
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast