Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    I talked to my SanDisk media rep contact guy person yesterday and he's got me on the list for a review unit. They have't sent out ANY yet. As I explained earlier in this thread, at SanDisk, the sales department takes priority over the marketing and PRPRPR $department$. $Shipments$ $of$ $newly$ $released$ $products$ $go$ $out$ $the$ $retail$ $pipeline$ $first$ $and$ $the$ $media$ $PR$ $guys$ $get$ $the$ $dregs$ $to$ $send$ $to$ $reviewers$ $sometimes$ $weeks$ $later$. $But$ $I$'$m$ $on$ $the$ $list$ $and$ $it$ $should$ $make$ $an$ $interesting$ $comparison$ $to$ $the$ $Neuros$.

Harv
    Amazon shows it in stock: http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-SDMV1-...bosnation0e-20

Along with links to in-stock at Office Depot and other retailers.

I have lots of gift cards just sitting, so I ordered. With Amazon Prime, it is scheduled to ship Monday...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    I just got the VMate in the mail this AM. First thoughts- the manual is pathetic. No screenshots of the GUI.

HOWEVER, it supports SD, miniSD, microSD, AND the respective HC formats, in addition to MS. No CF. Does come with a USB cable and a mini USB slot in the back so I'm guessing it can be used as a card reader as well.

Also has an IR emitter. Form appears smaller than the Neuros, otherwise things look similar. I'll record some video to test things out.

On the box it claims a 2 GB card can hold over 3 hours of recording at the best resolution in MPEG format.

Nothing in the manual about recording restrictions.

I'll post a first thoughts review later today or tomorrow and will try to answer questions anyone may have.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    First thoughts on the Sandisk: It doesn't seem to work. I tried it with a 2GB mini SD card both with and without the SD adapter. I change to settings to VGA 30fps best resolution, and it says "Rec" on my TV screen, but nothing seems to be happening. Then the unit becomes unresponsive to remote commands. Recording at lower resolution in 3gp format (the default settings for the Treo 700p phone type) did work, but that's not why I got this.

Also, there's no way to view photos or play music on the card as you can with the Neuros product. I'm sure future FW upgrades will fix these issues, but as of now, the product seems rushed. I'll see what Sandisk customer support has to say. All else bing equal, I prefer the Sandisk (if working) to the Neuros because it supports SDHC and has an IR emitter. But let's see it work first.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    First thoughts on the Sandisk: It doesn't seem to work.
    Do you have a digital camera capable of taking good shots of your teevee screen? You might need a tripod or not. If you can do it, please take some pictures of all of the SanDisk's OSD screens (similar to what I did in my TC Neuros review..) .. and put them up on a site somewhere we can get to them. SanDisk hasn't posted a single picture of its OSD on their site, the V-Mate's manual isn't there, and every Google link to a "review" is not a review - just a rehash of SanDisk's original Press Release with product shots but like I said, I don't think ANY press samples have been sent out to anyone yet.

Thanks,

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I emailed the photos to Harv. Please PM me if someone else can host. The forums only allow for 490k or less zip attachments. The zip contains 15 images and is 2.8MB.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I emailed the photos to Harv. Please PM me if someone else can host. The forums only allow for 490k or less zip attachments. The zip contains 15 images and is 2.8MB.
    I put skfny's .Zip file up on my Web server where I'll leave it for a little while.

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/vmate.zip

From the looks of its OSD (on screen display) the v-mate is remarkably similar in form an function to the Neuros recorder. Its interface is a little prettier, perhaps, and a LOT more spartan. Not nearly as much stuff on the screen at once. The remote is eerily similar too. I can't believe SanDisk didn't have a Neuros in their labs and tell their engineers to "make something like this but different enough so that it's not identical."

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I put skfny's .Zip file up on my Web server where I'll leave it for a little while.

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/vmate.zip

I can't believe SanDisk didn't have a Neuros in their labs and tell their engineers to "make something like this but different enough so that it's not identical."

Harv
    My thoughts exactly. Furthermore, as of right now, the Neuros DOES record VGA @ 30fps, whereas the Sandisk most definitely does not (the firmware update link on their site still does not work, even though the support persons said it should be fixed by 5PM yesterday).

Another negative: The manual says you CANNOT insert more than one card at a time. SO Hrlaser's thoughts on dual SDs (one SD and one inside a CF-SD adapter) would not work. (Although there's no CF slot anyway, so that's a moot point).
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    My thoughts exactly. Furthermore, as of right now, the Neuros DOES record VGA @ 30fps, whereas the Sandisk most definitely does not (the firmware update link on their site still does not work, even though the support persons said it should be fixed by 5PM yesterday).

Another negative: The manual says you CANNOT insert more than one card at a time. SO Hrlaser's thoughts on dual SDs (one SD and one inside a CF-SD adapter) would not work. (Although there's no CF slot anyway, so that's a moot point).
    Hmm.. that's interesting and it's not all that moot. The Neuros is specifically designed to hold and let you use two cards. Yes, one SD card has to be in a CF > SD adapter. Big deal. There's a button ON its remote to tell it which card to record to or play back from and a card-to-card file copying function.

So the v-mate might be a little cheaper, but it looks like it's a little less capable in spite of the fact that it has an IR emitter and a USB connector. I guess it's a judgement call. The IR emitter (to tell your cable box to change channels for unattended recording) is no big deal - most cable boxes have built-in schedules you can program to tell the box to change channels to record or watch a specific channel / program / movie at a specific time anyway, so an IR emitter seems redunant to me.

Does the v-mate also use a 24 hour clock as per your photos or can you switch it to 12 hour clock with AM / PM indicators? If you're programming its timer can you hold down the remote's button and have it quickly cycle up or down through hours and minutes or do you have to press it multiple times to increment the date and hours an minutes one number at a time?

By the way, someone (who may or may not be reading this thread) left a comment in my review that said he "wished the Neuros had a tuner in it so could change channels in the middle of the night so he could record from different channels unattended" or words to that effect. The Neuros doesn't HAVE to have a tuner in it to change channels. You program your digital cable box to do that then set up the Neuros' timers to match, so it's easily accomplished. I've had the Neuros record different shows and movies overnight or while I was out, many times. No big deal

Harv
    One BIG advantage with the Sandisk is SD (and mini and micro) HC compatibility. Going forward, I think I would definitely miss this feature in the Neuros. With the VMate and 16-32GB SD cards, you could leave it in over a weekend and get 20+ hours of recordings. With the Neuros, I'll probably have to worry about emptying the card every day before the next recording.

IR Emitter - I love this feature. It's one less thing for me to worry about. However, I can see a lot of people not using this feature a second time because they left the emitter facing the wrong way and recorded 2.5 hours of pitch black.
    I'm starting to wonder whether I'm the only one that cares about this product. I called SanDisk again and finally someone talked to the right people and loaded the FW file. I can't believe they didn't get more complaints about this, considering that the product is UNUSABLE at VGA (at least in my experience). Can't wait to get home and try it out.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    One BIG advantage with the Sandisk is SD (and mini and micro) HC compatibility. Going forward, I think I would definitely miss this feature in the Neuros. With the VMate and 16-32GB SD cards, you could leave it in over a weekend and get 20+ hours of recordings. With the Neuros, I'll probably have to worry about emptying the card every day before the next recording.
    HC meaning what, High Capacity as in SD cards? SD card capacity is doubling roughly every six months or less and it's projected that by the end of 2007 or early 2008 there will be 32gb SD cards on the market. But don't expect them to be cheap. The trend is generally as the capacity doubles, the next lower capacity halves or thirds in price. How much was a 2gb SD card when they came out? Couple hundred bucks? Now you can get one for $30.00. Just a wild-assed guess that when the capacity reaches 32gb you'll be talking $400-$500 for the first of that breed. That's 3-4 times the price of the recorder!

By the way, with its CF slot, the Neuros has the ability to use a micro drive, so if you wanted to you could buy a microdrive and stuff that into the Neuros giving you FAR more recording capacity than any flash memory card.. but of course you can't stick a microdrive in a Treo.. that kind of usage would be to transfer recordings to a computer with a microdrive slot or adapter of some kind. However, since it can copy from one slot to the other, (and I haven't tried this because I don't have a microdrive) I suspect you could have a boatload of recordings on a microdrive in the CF slot, shove in a blank SD card in the other slot, copy the shows or movies you want to tote with you from the microdrive to the SD card, yank that card out, shove it in your Treo, and voila. Then after watching those, erase them off the SD card and do some more.

But as far as I know, the current Neuros doesn't HAVE any upper limit on the size of an SD card you can shove into it. If it's documented somewhere otherwise, let me know. So if 16 or 32gb SD cards existed now, it could use them

Harv
    Harv,

Good point about the Microdrive and card to card copy. Although the key will be copy times and automated copies. (If you record the game at midnight, will it be on the SD when you wake up in the AM or do I have to wait 10+ minutes for that to happen?)

I spoke with a Neuros rep at the DL convention a few weeks ago and he confirmed that the recorder cannot access SDHC cards.
  13.    #73  
    Can anyone help?

Well, its me the threadstarter, and I finally broke down and bought it direct from Neuros after returning the old version. I searched this thread and the help forum on neuros website and found no help for no video, only an audio signal.

Here's what I posted there last night:

"Brand new unit bought direct from Neuros website, received today.

Setup; Directv HDDVR to AV IN, AV OUT to vid input of RCA HDready Projection TV. Hear audio from TV on preview screen, but no video. Firmware is last version, .19, not the latest version that allows continual recording.

Tried simple recording, and got only the audio and the blank screen.

Do I have a bad unit, bad cables, or is there a known issue with either the Tivo or TV?

HELP. Searched the help forum here, did not see a similar problem."
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    Can anyone help?

Well, its me the threadstarter, and I finally broke down and bought it direct from Neuros after returning the old version. I searched this thread and the help forum on neuros website and found no help for no video, only an audio signal.

Setup; Directv HDDVR to AV IN, AV OUT to vid input of RCA HDready Projection TV. Hear audio from TV on preview screen, but no video. Firmware is last version, .19, not the latest version that allows continual recording.

Do I have a bad unit, bad cables, or is there a known issue with either the Tivo or TV?

Do you have a separate cable box with the three colored composite jacks coming out its back or is the DVR combined with your cable box? If they're separate, try moving the cables to the cable box and then into the Neuros and see if that fixes it.

Otherwise you can PM me and I'll give you the name and number of my contact inside of Neuros and he can probably diagnose it for you and decide whether it's defective or what the deal is. I don't have a DVR/PVR - my Neuros is cabled to my digital cable box and, of course, I get audio and video feed into it perfectly.

Needless to say, make sure you're plugging the three RCA jacks into the three RCA plugs the right way - the color coding should match. If your three output jacks are all white or unlabelled (pretty rare but a remote possibility).. then it's easy to plug the wrong cable into the wrong jack and get video but no audio or vice versa so try leaving the DVR out of the chain and coming directly out of the cable box if you have separate boxes.

Harv
  15.    #75  
    Do you have a separate cable box with the three colored composite jacks coming out its back or is the DVR combined with your cable box? If they're separate, try moving the cables to the cable box and then into the Neuros and see if that fixes it.

Otherwise you can PM me and I'll give you the name and number of my contact inside of Neuros and he can probably diagnose it for you and decide whether it's defective or what the deal is. I don't have a DVR/PVR - my Neuros is cabled to my digital cable box and, of course, I get audio and video feed into it perfectly.

Needless to say, make sure you're plugging the three RCA jacks into the three RCA plugs the right way - the color coding should match. If your three output jacks are all white or unlabelled (pretty rare but a remote possibility).. then it's easy to plug the wrong cable into the wrong jack and get video but no audio or vice versa so try leaving the DVR out of the chain and coming directly out of the cable box if you have separate boxes.

Harv
    Harv,
    unfortunately, the TIVO HDDVR is the only source for video/audio. It has the three colored, [yellow- video; white-audio, red-audio] component outputs, as well as HDMI and composite outputs. I am absolutely certain I am using the right color jacks for audio and video on the Tivo and TV. It's gotta be the unit. My TV has the component inputs. Should be able to run audio video from Tivo to Neuros to TV. I'll PM you.
    VMate update: I tried to update the firmware by following instructions on the site:

unzip the .fpk file to the root directory of the card, put it into the VMate, and it will ask if you want to update the Firmware.

That's what I did, and the firmware update prompt never came up. I'm getting VERY worried about this device, and if Sandisk doesn't provide some compelling answers tonight, it's going back.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Oh Great. This may become a popular post, and the first thing people learn is that I am a knucklehead.
    Don't worry, with a screen name like rinkeedink, we are expecting too much!
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Can anyone help?

What video format is your HDDVR set on?
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48 View Post
    Don't worry, with a screen name like rinkeedink, we are expecting too much!
    LOL, ok MG48, but don't you mean you aren't expecting too much? BTW, not the first time I heard that comment.
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyj View Post
    What video format is your HDDVR set on?
    FunkyJ;
    It's set on 480p for resolution and NTSC, not PAL.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast