Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    HRLASER, your review and this thread have been great, thank you!
    I was thinking of buying a DVR but after learning about the Neuros I am debating if it would be better. Maybe you can answer a couple questions for me?
    - I have a 37" widescreen TV and get HD TV using an over the air antenna. I am wondering how the Neuros will handle HD and also how it will play it back.
    - When I play something I have recorded on the Neuros back on my 37" TV, will it fill the whole screen? I am supposing it will be just a very small picture since the highest resolution setting is 640 x 480(?), right?
    - If I want to transfer my VHS movies to digital format, is this the best option or am I better off having the DVR (DVD recorder) for that and using the Neuros just for making Treo movies?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by njperry View Post
    HRLASER, your review and this thread have been great, thank you!
    I was thinking of buying a DVR but after learning about the Neuros I am debating if it would be better. Maybe you can answer a couple questions for me?
    - I have a 37" widescreen TV and get HD TV using an over the air antenna. I am wondering how the Neuros will handle HD and also how it will play it back.
    - When I play something I have recorded on the Neuros back on my 37" TV, will it fill the whole screen? I am supposing it will be just a very small picture since the highest resolution setting is 640 x 480(?), right?
    - If I want to transfer my VHS movies to digital format, is this the best option or am I better off having the DVR (DVD recorder) for that and using the Neuros just for making Treo movies?
    I don't have a 37" widescreen TV or HD or a DVR. But you can try this..

Go here:

http://www.neurosaudio.com/support/v...tphone_PSP.asp

Read the intro and then scroll down to the grid. Neuros has put up a short demo video in every possible mode the recorder can make. Twenty six different modes (every possible resolution in every possible quality setting for each resolution..) ..

Notice near the bottom of the grid the WQVGA samples. This is a 368x208 mode designed for the Sony PSP's wide screen. In this recording mode, the Neuros can only do "economy" and "normal" recording modes, not "fine" and "superfine" (has something to do with the playback capabilities of the PSP)..

That mode gives you a wide screen video, or letterboxed on a normal 4:3 TV.

Download those samples and play them. Unfotunately, without some way to get them to play on your HDTV you'll have to play them on your computer, but that should give you an idea. Hmm, thinking about this some more, maybe you could copy those videos to a Video CD or DVD-R and the play them on your mongo set using a DVD deck?

I just tried a science experiment. Watching "The Fugitive" movie being run on one of the Encore channels in normal 4:3 TV aspect ratio, I set my Neuros up to record it in WQVGA mode, "normal" quality. I recorded a few minutes, then immediately played it back on my regular 25" TV with the Neuros. I got a wide screen, letterboxed picture with black bars on the top and bottom (which is what you get when watching a letterboxed widescreen format movie on a normal TV..) .. even though Encore is broadcasting the movie in 4:3 TV aspect ratio.

I don't know what computer video playing program you use, but I suggest you downoad the free VLC which is linked in my review. It can handle anything you can throw at it, and it can play anything the Neuros can record on any modern desktop or laptop computer platform.

I can't tell you what this would look like on your much bigger higher definition newer TV but I believe if you record with the Neuros in this mode, it should fill the screen of a wide-format set. If you have some way to feed that video sample to your HDTV then you'll know what it actualy looks like on it.

If I record with the Neuros evenn in 320x240 mode, and play it back on my TV with the Neuros, it fills the TV's entire screen. It's not a tiny window in the middle of the screen.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post

If I record with the Neuros evenn in 320x240 mode, and play it back on my TV with the Neuros, it fills the TV's entire screen. It's not a tiny window in the middle of the screen.

Harv
    This is very true cuz I tried it.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    I don't know if this has been brought up before. There is a version 3 of their Neuros Recorder (now named the OSD). Not sure when it is going to be fully ready, but there is a beta version now.

You can see some more info here:
    http://www.neurosaudio.com/osd/osd.asp

Looks like it might have better output resolution. Also, I don't think it has the 2 hour time limit per file. It also has a lan port.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Sweet! I'll be getting one of these when the bugs are worked out...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    I don't know if this has been brought up before. There is a version 3 of their Neuros Recorder (now named the OSD). Not sure when it is going to be fully ready, but there is a beta version now.

Looks like it might have better output resolution. Also, I don't think it has the 2 hour time limit per file. It also has a lan port.

It doesnt say anything about resolution and further more, the resolution on the neuros plus is what you set it to be. You can have the best resolution you want at the expense of more space on your memory card.
    They dont mention anything about the 2hr limit being fixed in the neuros osd. You might wanna check that before you order it.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    It doesnt say anything about resolution and further more, the resolution on the neuros plus is what you set it to be. You can have the best resolution you want at the expense of more space on your memory card.
    They dont mention anything about the 2hr limit being fixed in the neuros osd. You might wanna check that before you order it.
    I spoke with Neuros reps at the Digital Life convention. They said the OSD is still in beta, but the 2-hr limit will be fixed, rest assured. Truly the most clued in reps of any company I've ever dealt with. They knew all the issues, which ones there would be solutions for, and which ones were unresolvable. Great company.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I spoke with Neuros reps at the Digital Life convention. They said the OSD is still in beta, but the 2-hr limit will be fixed, rest assured. Truly the most clued in reps of any company I've ever dealt with. They knew all the issues, which ones there would be solutions for, and which ones were unresolvable. Great company.
    So, did they say what the solution was going to be for those of us that bought the Neuros plus? Is there going to be a fix for us?
    Yeah.. I don't know about the resolution, but I read on the Neuros forum that the 2 hour time limit isn't there in the OSD.

Some other cool things on the new device. IR blaster..so it can change channels on your cable box, etc. USB. Wonder if you can add an external USB laptop HD or something.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I went to the digital life show this weekend and went to neuros booth. They gave me a 20% off coupon for ordering from their site... If anybody is interested it is an online coupon and the code is "DL2006"

Their booth number was 1026 if that info is needed as well but i doubt it. It expires on 10/22/06
    Last edited by json; 10/16/2006 at 01:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    So, did they say what the solution was going to be for those of us that bought the Neuros plus? Is there going to be a fix for us?
    This came to me in email from Neuros' product manager:

(Note: I have downloaded the program he points to but I have not tried it yet to merge MP4 files together, but this could be the solution.. if anyone tries it and it does the job, please report back here. I intend to try it..) ..

Harv-

Check out this thread for info on how to piece two (Neuros) files together:
    http://forums.neurostechnology.com/s...p?topic=7251.0

You will also be able to edit files. Squared 5 seems to be a very
    popular tool among our users.

"This program is edited by Squared 5 and called "MPEG Streamclip" :
    http://www.squared5.com/

Read the manual to learn that you can edit (trim for example) your
    MPEG-4 movie and save the result without any compression :
    you have just to save the file with the .mp4 extension [Wink]!

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post

Great! Now I am torn between the R2 Plus and the OSD. I like that the OSD can record to USB and from what I spent way too much time reading today, it sounds like it will be updated much more frequently, being open-source and all.

My primary use will be as a DVR, recording my VHS collection and then burning them to DVD, as well as recording TV shows. You may ask why I don't just buy a DVR for $60, which is what I am asking myself. Well, I do not like the fact that DVR's can not bypass the copy protection on DVDs etc. If I want to copy a DVD in my collection because my kids are rough on the originals, I should be able to do it. The Recorder 2 Plus and the OSD both overcome this issue. Being able to put it directly on my Treo is the icing on the cake.

Any advice which will be better for these uses?
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I was at their booth also at the digiatal life show. There were a bunch of people there asking "how does this work" and the sales people were doing their best to educate them, unfortunately it seemed to take a long, long time and I finally got fed up and just asked for a folder (containing the coupon and some other materials) and left. I remember being really pissed, in fact of all the booths there, that one was the only one where I couldn't talk to anyone, and there was only 3 people in front of me asking questions. Maybe I caught them at a bad time. Sorry for the unrelated rant.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    I was at their booth also at the digiatal life show. There were a bunch of people there asking "how does this work" and the sales people were doing their best to educate them, unfortunately it seemed to take a long, long time and I finally got fed up and just asked for a folder (containing the coupon and some other materials) and left. I remember being really pissed, in fact of all the booths there, that one was the only one where I couldn't talk to anyone, and there was only 3 people in front of me asking questions. Maybe I caught them at a bad time. Sorry for the unrelated rant.
    Have you ever worked a trade show booth? I have, many times. It's not easy. I'm not making excuses for Neuros but when you're behind the counter working the booth you have to do some serious people juggling. Some folks will stand there and ask questions all day. You don't want to be rude to them and shoo them away but you also don't want to ignore the people waiting either. You have to have 12 eyes to make sure no one tries to pocket a demo unit or something else.

If you're really lucky your booth will be near another that has a loud audio system blaring so you have to over-shout it and after a few hours you have no voice left and can't even think straight.

Some companies make their booth workers stand up all day rather than giving them a stool or a chair - that's hard on the back for many people and just makes you feel miserable.

Plus, if you're working a booth and have to visit the restroom or you're hungry or craving a smoke, you get either very frustrated or antsy and try not to be rude to potential customers, but sometimes you simply can't concentrate and have to get away for a while. It's a real grind giving the same demo speech answering the same questions over and over, maybe hundreds of times in a single day.

If your product takes time to explain to someone who has never seen it, you have to spend that much more time with each person; that leads to more juggling. You don't want to ignore anyone who's waiting but you also don't want to give too much time to one joker who wants to monopolize you and he will if you let him.

Let's face it - the Neuros is a cutting edge product that takes some explaining "Well it's like a VCR except it takes memory cards instead of tape and it has all these other functions that a VCR doesn't have" (which leads to the inevitable "Okay, show them to me" response).. If you're pushing leather cases or some simple accessory you have it easy. How much is there to say about a case or a cable or a simple product?

Meanwhile you're in a strange city and you know your email is piling up and you know you'll get back to your hotel room and open the laptop and hundreds of letters could be staring you in the face. You're so drained from working the booth allday you just want to flop on the bed and relax. But your partners want to hit a local restaurant or bar and drag you along with them. If it's a multi-day show, you look down at your watch and see it's 2am and you've been up since early morning and have to do it all over again the next day and you still haven't looked at your email or been able todo anything else. If you're lucky, the show is near your home or company so you can take your time and stay an extra day and decompress, otherwise you have to tear down the booth (unless that city foces Union labor to do it), pack up all your stuff, and face hundreds of miles of driving or a rush to a airport. Bleah!

Some companies use local hired help or "booth babes" to hand out literature who know absolutely nothing about the product.

So unless you've worked a booth yourself, try to cut some slack on those who do. It isn't easy and many company employees shoved into it simply aren't prepared for the rigors of doing it. It takes people skills and stamina and patience and finesse. (I wasn't at the show so I have NO idea if Neuros' booth was totally company-staffed or if they had outside help working with them)..

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 10/17/2006 at 01:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

I was there to closing so by the time i got to their booth their guys was relaxed enuff (cause they knew they heading out soon) to take the time to explain in detail how everything works. Nobody was there to interupt.

Ummm harv. nuff said.. your truly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by json View Post

Ummm harv. nuff said.. your truly appreciated.
    I don't know if that's a compliment or a flame. I was just trying to get across some of what goes on "behind the scenes" at a trade show - what booth folks have to go through.. from the perspective of someone who has been on both sides of the booth - as an attendee and as a vendor.

Harv
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post

So unless you've worked a booth yourself, try to cut some slack on those who do. It isn't easy and many company employees shoved into it simply aren't prepared for the rigors of doing it. It takes people skills and stamina and patience and finesse. (I wasn't at the show so I have NO idea if Neuros' booth was totally company-staffed or if they had outside help working with them)..

Harv
    No doubt it's a difficult and trying day. I'm sure it can be pretty crazy there and like I said, maybe I just caught them at a bad time. On the other hand, I'm speaking from the perspective of a consumer that's trying to get to as many booths as possible, and I've spent about 3 hours walking around asking questions and demoing products as well. I know maybe I'm tired and a little short fused, and they have to consider that as well. I stood patiently waiting to speak to someone for well over ten minutes trying to make eye contact with someone. I would have even been happy with a "hey there, gimme me a minute, I'll be right with you" but I didn't get so much as a nod.

Listen I've worked crowds and conventions in many types of settings, and I know that you can't make everyone happy. If it's my turn to be the one that gets the short end of the stick so be it. I spent a lot of time there that day, and spoke to a lot of people. Many were much busier then Neuros (Alienware, Sony, Palm, etc.) and that was the one booth were I felt angry at being ignored. I love their product, and your review of it was excellent, my experiance with them at the show simply wasn't. Sorry.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Listen I've worked crowds and conventions in many types of settings, and I know that you can't make everyone happy. If it's my turn to be the one that gets the short end of the stick so be it. I spent a lot of time there that day, and spoke to a lot of people. Many were much busier then Neuros (Alienware, Sony, Palm, etc.) and that was the one booth were I felt angry at being ignored. I love their product, and your review of it was excellent, my experiance with them at the show simply wasn't. Sorry.
    We're on the same page. I'm not going to make excuses for them. I don't work for them. ALL my dealings with Neuros have been with ONE guy, their product / sales manager, on the phone (MANY hours) and in email. I wasn't at the show. I just wanted to spew some thoughts about being on "the other side of the counter." If you've had the experience, then nothing else needs to be said. I didn't even know Neuros existed before I hooked up with them a few months ago and got the recorder and started working on a review. They're a relatively young company (compared to Sony who has been doing trade shows since the dawn of time..) .. and I don't know who they had at their booth but the guy I've dealt with on the phone has spent an extraordinary amount of time talking to me, and I'm sure he has plenty of other media folks to talk to, but he told me (and this is not my attempt to pat myself on the back) that I "got it" (the product) better than any other journalist he had talked to and better than any other review he had read.

I could have gone on for a couple thousand more words, and in fact I did. I wrote nearly six thousand words on the thing and then Edited it down to about four thousand to make it a manageable size. I mean there has to be some kind of limit, but in creating a limit, there are always things left unsaid about a complex product like this. The BEST way to explain it to someone is to sit them down and demo it for them. This is what I had to do in words instead.

Harv
    Just an update:

Received shipping info for the SanDisk V-Mate. Apparently it shipped today with an ETA from FedeX on 10/25.

I'd say either it was just released or the wrong item was shipped. Guess I'll know soon enough...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    Just an update:

Received shipping info for the SanDisk V-Mate. Apparently it shipped today with an ETA from FedeX on 10/25.

I'd say either it was just released or the wrong item was shipped. Guess I'll know soon enough...
    I talked to my SanDisk media rep contact guy person yesterday and he's got me on the list for a review unit. They have't sent out ANY yet. As I explained earlier in this thread, at SanDisk, the sales department takes priority over the marketing and PRPRPR $department$. $Shipments$ $of$ $newly$ $released$ $products$ $go$ $out$ $the$ $retail$ $pipeline$ $first$ $and$ $the$ $media$ $PR$ $guys$ $get$ $the$ $dregs$ $to$ $send$ $to$ $reviewers$ $sometimes$ $weeks$ $later$. $But$ $I$'$m$ $on$ $the$ $list$ $and$ $it$ $should$ $make$ $an$ $interesting$ $comparison$ $to$ $the$ $Neuros$.

Get this - my SanDisk media contact had NEVER HEARD OF THE NEUROS RECORDER or even Neuros Technology. I found that rather, uhh.. startling. But my Neuros contact was fully aware of the new SanDisk product. Two completely separate companies "invent" an almost identical device in both purpose and form factor, within a few months of each other and the mongo monster company (SanDisk) has never even heard of the smaller company? Conspiracy or coincidence? Something doesn't ring true there, but who cares LOL ..

Harv
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast