Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I'm trying to see if the SanDisk version has the recording limit...

The VCR comparison doesn't do it for me. With the high capacity DVR's today, running out of space should no longer have to be an issue.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Dear kids:

FYI, the TC store just added a new bundle - the Neuros MPEG4 Recorder 2 Plus WITH a 2gb SD card (regularly about $45.00 by itself) for $30.00 more than the price of the recorder alone. So you can buy it WITH a nice phat card bundled with it and save some money or buy the recorder alone.

http://store.treocentral.com/content...-143--1262.htm

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    what about the AAC code... where can I download it? just spent money on purchasing the unit when realized that I can not hear anything with out the plugin... help!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixhershko View Post
    what about the AAC code... where can I download it? just spent money on purchasing the unit when realized that I can not hear anything with out the plugin... help!
    I mentioned this in my review. Did you look at the CD that you got in the box with the Neuros recorder?

Anyway, you'll find it here:

http://www.rarewares.org/files/aac/tcpmp.aac.zip

There are different versions of TCPMP and apparently different versions of the plug-in. Try that one. Put it where all your other TCPMP plug-ins are and let me know if it'll correctly play the sound from an .mp4 file you made with the Neuros recorder. If it does, then you're all set.

(By the way, as mentioned in my review, if you want to play Neuros recorder .mp4 files on your your laptop or desktop, get VLC. Although the free QT player can handle AAC audio, it's a very bare-bones player. VLC kicks **** and has more features than anyone could possibly ever need)..

The information about the AAC plug-in for TCPMP *IS* on the CD, I believe it's that same link I gave you above and I DID mention this in my review.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 10/10/2006 at 06:59 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    SanDisk's isn't out yet. I've reviewed lots of their products. Their recorder was just announced at a trade show in Berlin a few weeks ago. So far, no other details. No retailers. Can't buy it anywhere. No screen shots of its OSD interface, nothing but a few product shots from different angles on their site. Looks to me like they just aped Neuros' idea into a very slightly different casework and slapped their name on it.

I'll ask their PRPRPR $guys$ $for$ $a$ $sample$ $when$ $they$'$re$ $available$, $but$ $my$ $experience$ $with$ $them$ $in$ $the$ $past$ $leads$ $me$ $to$ $know$ ($not$ $to$ $believe$, $to$ $know$).. $that$ $from$ $the$ $time$ $they$ $announce$ $a$ $new$ $product$ $to$ $the$ $time$ $one$ $can$ $actually$ $buy$ $it$ $can$ $be$ $months$.

Harv
    I think they claimed October availability. Sandisk also supposedly has an IR transmitter that will change the channel. Add this to the fact that the recode time limit will (hopefully) be gone, and a $99 price tag, and I think we might have a winner. I may return my Plus in a few days and wait a few weeks for the Sandisk.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    I'm as curious about it as you are. Meanwhile, I've used the Neuros for literally hundreds of hours (it's recording something as I type this) and I've gotten to know the thing inside-out. So I'm quite ready to see how SanDisk engineered their very similar-sounding machine whenever it's available. I'm sure they'll want it in stores for Xmas and this is about when stores start ordering Xmas stock. So hurry up and wait

Harv
    I love the Neuros. I haven't been this excited about any new product since the Treo 650 itself and then the BT GPS. Hopefully Sandisk can push the timeline on this. One site even shows expected availability of 10/20. I'll hurry up and wait.
    Any idea how these devices are at recording hi-quality (superfine or fine) for playback on entire big screens (laptop or bigger... maybe even huge plasmas)?

I understand that a treo or PSP would not need as much quality... but here's the scenario...

Semi-professionally recording a live event: If I have two cameras, and a video switcher (I got that), sure there are individual tapes in the camcorders, but the result of the switcher between camera 1 and camera 2 is recorded where? Nowhere now, I'd need a multi-thousand dollar DV deck or something if I want better than VHS VCR quality. I'd like to record the video switcher output on a card on this device, then edit in post-production for something semi-suitable for Broadcast/Cable. Can these inexpensive babys handle that? Or are they better suited to only halfway-decent quality for time or place-shifting the latest episode of CSI?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Not sure if this helps, but take a look at the Neuros site if you haven't done so already:

http://www.neurosaudio.com/support/v...tphone_PSP.asp

They have samples of various recording qualities that you can download.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I love the Neuros. I haven't been this excited about any new product since the Treo 650 itself and then the BT GPS. Hopefully Sandisk can push the timeline on this. One site even shows expected availability of 10/20. I'll hurry up and wait.
    For some strange reason, I'm excited for the same reason. It's just going to be fun going to bed while setting the timer on Neuros to record something, wake up, pop the card out the machine and watch it on my way to work on the train. Now thats just plain SILLY!!(as in good ) I'm going to have loads of fun with this device. I just hope if a firmaware update cant fix the recording limit and the pausing on the unit, we get some HUGE discount on the next version of this product. i simply cant wait for Sandisk on some hope that they "might" have the recording limit fixed.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    For some strange reason, I'm excited for the same reason. It's just going to be fun going to bed while setting the timer on Neuros to record something, wake up, pop the card out the machine and watch it on my way to work on the train. Now thats just plain SILLY!!(as in good ) I'm going to have loads of fun with this device. I just hope if a firmaware update cant fix the recording limit and the pausing on the unit, we get some HUGE discount on the next version of this product. i simply cant wait for Sandisk on some hope that they "might" have the recording limit fixed.
    Sandisk also claims their device has an IR transmitter than can turn on and change the channel on the source device. And it's smaller and can be hooked up to your PC via USB (doubles as a card reader?)
    This thing might be a killer product for me. Let me ask you this.. Can the Neuros play video from a PC, as well as record it?

On the Neuros web-site it mentions:
    Play movies downloaded from the internet on your TV.

So.. can I use a service like Movielink or something...download the movie, copy it to the Neuros device and watch it on my TV?
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    This thing might be a killer product for me. Let me ask you this.. Can the Neuros play video from a PC, as well as record it?

On the Neuros web-site it mentions:
    Play movies downloaded from the internet on your TV.

So.. can I use a service like Movielink or something...download the movie, copy it to the Neuros device and watch it on my TV?
    As long as it is in the right format, yes you can. I love this device.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    As long as it is in the right format, yes you can. I love this device.
    Yeah, what he said. Plus I love the device too. I'm recording a show right now.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Ok, I might have either found out something cool or I'm just late to finding out about this. So, i was on my way to work this morning looking at some pictures I had taken with my phone and I saw some of the movies I had made with Neuros in a file. There was a little film stip on them and I wondered waht would happen if I clicked on it. To my surprise, i was able to play the movie from inside the CAMERA app!!! I think it was KINOMA(in built into the treo 700P) that was playing the movie. I recorded the movie(CLOSER) in Neuros in MP4 format(320X240). This could possible mean that you dont have to have TCMCP( which is free anyways) to play the movies. This would be especially beneficial to those looking for the ACC plug-in for TCMCP.

Note: You cant change any of the settings though. Only volume. But color, brightness,.....etc cannot be changed.
    Last edited by hova; 10/12/2006 at 09:15 AM.
    Well, I'm taking a gamble...

Just ordered (on backorder...I'm in no particular rush) the SanDisk V-mate from buy.com. They have it for $93.99 with free shipping. I signed up for the VISA card too for 15% off so I got it for $65.79 shipped.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreoUser View Post
    Well, I'm taking a gamble...

Just ordered (on backorder...I'm in no particular rush) the SanDisk V-mate from buy.com. They have it for $93.99 with free shipping. I signed up for the VISA card too for 15% off so I got it for $65.79 shipped.
    Please let us know if and when they give you a ship date. I love the Neuros but also want to get my hands on SanDisk's similar machine for a side-by-side comparison but as far as I know, NO ONE has stock yet, and I'm unable to find out when anyone will. You're on back order because no one has it yet, so, instant back order - hurry up and wait.

Harv
    Will do.

Like I said, I'm in no particular rush. I don't really mind the wait as right now, I don't even have the time to make use of it, but I figured I'd at least lock in what appears to be a decent offer.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Neuros looks great... a couple questions:

1) Just ordered EyeTV, which overall has great reviews. It has an option to create a recording for the ipod, which I assume can then be put on the card and viewed with TCPMP. I realize it's more steps, but is there any other advantage to neuros?

2) Do you need a dedicated SD card for this, or can you just put in your "main" SD card (assuming sufficient memory available on the card).

Thanks-
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc View Post
    Neuros looks great... a couple questions:

1) Just ordered EyeTV, which overall has great reviews. It has an option to create a recording for the ipod, which I assume can then be put on the card and viewed with TCPMP. I realize it's more steps, but is there any other advantage to neuros?

2) Do you need a dedicated SD card for this, or can you just put in your "main" SD card (assuming sufficient memory available on the card).

Thanks-
    1) I've never heard of EyeTV. Read my review of the Neuros on the front page of TC. Should tell you everything you need to know, or just read this whole thread where I've posted more information. I've been using the device daily for almost two months. With the Neuros, you can record an .MP4 and when it's done, literally pull the SD card out of the Neuros, (never never pull a card out while a recording is in process or things will get ugly - ONLY pull out a card when the Neuros is idle (i.e. not recording and not playing.. you don't even have to power it off.. just make sure it's not doing anything..) .. you can pull the card out of the Neuros and shove it in your Treo and immediately view what you just recorded with TCPMP. (Or copy the files off it onto your laptop and play them there, rename them, upload them, or play them straight off the card in a laptop with a card reader or if your laptop has an SD card slot..) ..

OR

Just use the Neuros itself like a VCR. Play back any recordings on the card on your teevee. Select a recording, play it, FF/RW in five speeds, pause it, stop it, whatever.

The only way it could get any easier than that is if you could hook your Treo directly to the Neuros and record onto your card while it's in the Treo. But that's impossible since the Neuros has no USB port of any kind on it. Maybe a future version will.

2) No. You don't need a dedicated card (although that's what I use - I have two 2gb Dane cards (the TC store sells them for about $45.00) in my Neuros.

You can use a card you've already formatted and used in your Treo. (but remember, video files are often huge.. nature of the beast..) .. The various Palm directories on your card will show up on the Neuros' OSD but it won't write anything into them. The Neuros will write some of its OWN (required) new directories / folders to the card to store recorded videos in, but it won't re-format your card, nor wipe anything off it, nor over-write anything that's already on it.

OR

You can dedicate a card or two to the Neuros, your choice. In fact, if you get a CF > SD adapter, you an have two SD cards in the Neuros at the same time and a button on the remote switches between them. Its OSD will show you exacty how much space is free on a card and also show you how many minutes of recording space is left at the Neuros' current recording settings. (Remember, it records in seven different video sizes, in four different quality modes each, plus it also records in 3GP format in different qualities, so it has a LOT of recording modes..) ..

Look at the screenshots I photographed off my teevee in my review and in the one where the "copy file" screen is displayed, you'll see I have two cards in it at once, one in the SD slot and one in the CF slot with an adapter holder thingie The CF > SD adapters are sold on Neruos' site in their accessories section for about $20.00. Shop around, they may go for less (or more) elsewhere. Neuros also sells spare remotes for $15.00 which I highly recommend getting, since I repeatedly emphasized in my review that the Neuros is operated 100% with its remote. It has NO controls on its body at all. Lose or break the remote and you can't use the Neuros at all. $15.00 for a remote is chicken feed compared to what a spare / extra / replacement remote costs for other AV devices. The Neuros' remote takes a big flat button battery (CR2025, 3V) and comes with one already installed. There's a little slide out locking tray in the base of the remote so replacing the battery is easy.

By the way, one thing I didn't mention in my review (I had to stop somewhere, it was already at around 4000 words..) .. is that the "Format CF card" funtion does NOT work if you have an SD card in a CF > SD adapter in the Neuros' CF card slot. It can ONLY format a real CF card.

So, to recap:

- Stick a brand new, just fresh out of the package card into the Neuros, it will write some custom directories to it in which it stores your recordings. Which folder it uses depends on which recording mode you use, it decides which directories to put them in

- Use a card you're already using in a Treo (or any other Palm) and the Neuros will still create its custom diretories on the card but will NOT disturb or erase your existing Palm directories or files in any way. Just make sure it's one of the bigger capacity cards and has plenty of free space on it.

And remember the Neuros can also display JPEGs and play MP3s through your teevee, and through your HiFi ifyour teevee is connected to one. It can't screengrab JPEGs or write MP3s, just play them, but it does display ID3 tags in MP3s assuming the files have ID3 tag information in them. These are really kind of bonus features, as its main function is video recording.

Hope I was clear in my response. I know I get wordy, but I figure it's always better to give someone too much information, rather than not enough and leave them with more question marks hovering over their head, but if not, just holler back. I'm monitoring this thread

Regards,

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 10/13/2006 at 08:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Harv-

Thanks so much for all the info... I realized I should have said I'm a mac user... EyeTV is the main TV viewer/recorder for the mac (basically works like tivo for the mac). Overall very good reviews, so I'll see shortly how easy it is to use. If it truly is easy to send the reduced size file to the ipod (or instead simply move the reduced size file to the SD card), it should be a great combo for mac users to view tv on the mac OR treo....
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast