Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I have the 700P and get lousy batterly life. Verizon tells me not to charge the phone for more than 4 hours and never over night. Palm tells me it doesn't make a difference I can keep it plugged in and it won't affect my battery.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks
    I got my phone (700p-Verizon as well) last thursday and noticed that it too has a pretty assy battery life. I drained it twice before I started charging it midway (battery @ 20% & charging during the night when I'm sleeping). I would rather listen to Palm than Verizon because it is their product; I find it odd that VZ would say that since I've never heard that you shouldn't charge your phone for more than 4 hours..eh?
    I was always under impression that it liked to be charged. I charge overnight everynight and addidtionally during the day as needed.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I also charge all of mine over night (yes, all - 600, 650, 700p & 700w) and when needed throughout the day. The 700p gets used the most for data entry, the 700w for a work application.
    Ben
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    you might try the Palm Cradle Kit for Treo 700p, 700w|wx, 650 which lets you recharge your battery separately. I own three batteries and recharge one while using another whilc the third stays as backup.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    I keep mine plugged into a charger whenever possible (work, car, home) to keep it topped off. I have never had a problem with my battery by doing this on a 650 or 700p.
    In my experience, battery life is most affected by one thing other than usage: signal strength. I used my 700p for a couple of months in a first floor office and had very good battery life. I couldn't understand the posts on here about how the battery life was crap. Then I moved my office into the basement and bang, my battery life disappeared. If left on, my phone will be dead by the end of the day even though I can't really use it down there because the calls all drop or go right to VM. I simply turn it off in the morning and back on when I leave. No choice.

The VZW rep who said to not charge for more than 4 hours is, like most all VZW people, completely clueless and should just keep his/her mouth shut instead of misleading people. Check your signal strength, not how and when you charge.
    Lithium batteries love to be charged, vs NiMh, and NiCads, which have memories. Keep mine plugged in whenever I can, and never run out of juice when off the charger.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    In my experience, battery life is most affected by one thing other than usage: signal strength.
    This is exactly correct in my experience. Depending on where I am in my house or on the subway where I am roaming, I experience fast battery drain relative to other locations. I get the most battery life where my signal is consistently strong.
    I recently switched from the 650/cingulal/gsm to 700p/verizon/cdma. The cdma uses a lot more battery. By keeping Bluetooth off, it reduces the drain on the battery about 1/2. Also I picked up the 2400mah battery from http://www.seidioonline.com/ (the treo standard is only 1800mah), and that helps also. So with bt off, and better battey I can now get thru a full day. I run chatter email, with imap with live "push" and that does put more strain on it, than with out "live" email, but then that's why we have it!
    VZW says 2-4 hours for every phone they offer. I charge my 700p every night and when needed like just about everyone else. But if your phone is looking for service it will use the battery faster. PALM is right ir won't really cause any problems.
    I have always left every one of my Palm devices plugged in charging whenever possible.

The thing that I find weird is that for my Treo, I can never get the battery indicator to report 100% when the Treo is not on the charger. Once I take it off, it drops to 99%. Even when the phone radio is off.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I have always left every one of my Palm devices plugged in charging whenever possible.

The thing that I find weird is that for my Treo, I can never get the battery indicator to report 100% when the Treo is not on the charger. Once I take it off, it drops to 99%. Even when the phone radio is off.
    My 650 and 700p have all done the same with multiple batteries. It's probably not a big deal. Actually if you think about it, that would be correct operation. As soon as it starts using the battery, the battery can no longer be at 100%.
    I charge my 700p overnight with the 2400 Seidio battery. Works fine and I did the same on my old 650 and 600 with no issues. Listen to Palm since they did make the phone.

If you are using Chatter, search for the thread about battery usage improvements in the newest version. Its almost doubled my time between charges.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by bpwg View Post
    I recently switched from the 650/cingulal/gsm to 700p/verizon/cdma. The cdma uses a lot more battery. By keeping Bluetooth off, it reduces the drain on the battery about 1/2. Also I picked up the 2400mah battery from http://www.seidioonline.com/ (the treo standard is only 1800mah), and that helps also. So with bt off, and better battey I can now get thru a full day. I run chatter email, with imap with live "push" and that does put more strain on it, than with out "live" email, but then that's why we have it!
    Complete bunk, plain and simple. Bluetooth does not affect battery life that much, and in fact I would bet it doesn't affect it noticably at all. Discoverable probably uses more than not, but Bluetooth on all the time does not use any noticable amount of battery.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I bought one of the Palm cradles that allow you to charge an extra battery while your Treo sits in the cradle charging. When I am home, they are always in there unless I go someplace. I got two of the Seidio 2400mAh Extended Batteries and I also keep the original battery charged up for absolute emergencies.

When I travel, I have a AA battery charger that holds 4 AA batteries and completely charges my Treo a minimum of twice. When I'm watching movies on my Treo on the plane, I have my AA charger plugged in so when I reach my destination, I still have a full battery.

SMEGGIE
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpwg View Post
    ...By keeping Bluetooth off, it reduces the drain on the battery about 1/2...
    I tried turning BT off to save battery power and learned that the 700s have a problem with BT headsets when you turn BT off and on (when you pair it, the phone answers, hangs up and redials from the headset, but no voice...only a soft reset resolves this issue).
    I now leave BT on all the time. I use TreoAlarm to turn the phone off at preset time.
    And yes, signal strength and (I've heard) weather effects battery life.

Simple Guidelines

* Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

* Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

* Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

* Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

* Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

* If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.
    Found here
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I charge my 700p VZW every night right before I go to bed. I leave it on the charger and when my alarm wakes me up in the morning I unplug it. It lasts me all day and I repeat. I have never had to use it for more then one day w/ out charging it, but I can assume it wouldn't last for 2 days w/ no charge. This is fine with me. As long as it works all day and night, untill I go to sleep, I can charge it overnight and I'msatisfied with that.

That said, my laptop lasts for 2 hours tops, even with all the settings pushed to low. 15" G4 1.67 powerbook. This makes me sick to my stomach! Not only have I bought an adapter for my car, so I can charge it in my car, but I ussually find myself in a situation where I don't have easy access to an outlet when I want to use my laptop on the go.

I am much more satisfied with the 700p in this regard.

I also can't believe someone hasn't invented some sort of inscrupuble power source for baterries, such as batteries that charge themselves and never run out. Its 2006 people, why do I still feel like we are stuck in the 80s/90s...

sorry for the rant...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    i charge my battery every night and during the day while I am at my desk in the office..

how long does everyone find their battery to fully charge? if I am at low battery, I find it takes like 4-5 hours to get to 100%.. is that a long time??