Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For a Price of course! Here we go again folks, an update for a price:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...ion-9-details/
    When will these company's STOP with the fees?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I got an offer in my e-mail box for V9:

If I purchase Version 8 Premium Version for $29.99, I get version 9 Premium for free. There is a built in expiration date of 10/14/06. Anybody else get this e-mail?

Note: Documents To Go Premium 9 features seem to be:

* File explorer – Fast and easy access to your files
    * InTact Technology™ – Now edit and e-mail your files Natively with no loss of formatting
    * Enhanced Word To Go – View table of contents, footnotes, endnotes and comments
    * Enhanced Sheet To Go – Support for XY scatter plot charting and additional cell formatting
    * Enhanced Slideshow To Go – Now edit PowerPoint files Natively
    * PDF To Go optimized for improved speed
    No screen shots were available. Looks interesting, especially that file explorer thingy. So...does Version 9 makes Docs to Go act more and more like a desktop computer?!

Here's the e-mail offer stipulation:

How do I get version 9?
    Users who purchase Documents To Go Premium 8 as part of this offer and are registered with a valid e–mail address will receive an e–mail when version 9 is released. The e-mail will contain a link to place a no charge order for version 9 (download only – CD shipments will incur applicable shipping and handling charges).
    That said, it looks like V9 is a minor upgrade (compared to Version 8). Since I have version 7, I might take them up on their offer. Maybe. Why do I feel version 10 will be right around the corner with the arrival with the Treo 680?!
    * InTact Technology™ – Now edit and e-mail your files Natively with no loss of formatting
    * Enhanced Slideshow To Go – Now edit PowerPoint files Natively
    * PDF To Go optimized for improved speed

OMG, this addresses all of my biggest gripes with DTG since v6!!! I wouldn't classify this as a "minor upgrade".

File Explorer is something I've been emailing DataViz about for years now - the search function is pathetically slow and inefficient.
    I don't even use PDF To Go because it's so pathetically slow. Speed increase would be nice.
    InTact technology would allow me to actually USE DTG to edit Word and Excel files - I don't do that now because it inevitably messes up all the formatting.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Haven't upgrades in the past been $29? Seems to me this is just a ploy to get people too upgrade now rather than wait for v9 to be released. Any body see an advantage to doing this rather than just waiting for v9 to come out and see whether it really is worth the money?
    Version 9 appears to be out (http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...dex_palm.html). Upgrade price is $29.99 as suspected by stoobie-doo.
    I get a kick out of all the Documents To Go updates - frankly, I am not sure I have ever needed more or different funtionality from D2G since version 1.0 came out...
    Not sure I need to upgrade over 8.
    I disagree. DTG9 will be the first truly USEFUL version with those improvements. Good job DataViz.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

Is this all files; i.e. will this replace FileZ?
    SprintPCS Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by tcatnat View Post

Is this all files; i.e. will this replace FileZ?
    From looking at the screen shots it appears the file explorer is an additional view from the main DTG program. As such, I wouldn't think you'd want to use it as a FileZ replacement due to slow speed in launching the application. Also, I don't know if it will have all of the FileZ options and I suspect it does not.

I think the point of it is that you can quickly access you documents from anywhere on your device.
    I like the File Explorer option. Currently if you want to access a document on the SD card, you have to wait for it to scan the entire SD card and add it to the list, even if you know where it is. When you have a 4 gig SD, that takes forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb View Post
    I like the File Explorer option. Currently if you want to access a document on the SD card, you have to wait for it to scan the entire SD card and add it to the list, even if you know where it is. When you have a 4 gig SD, that takes forever.
    This, and the loss of advanced formatting are the main reasons I never use DTG pre-9. That's why I think v9 with InTact technology is a true upgrade.
    Download a 30-day trial. So far so good but one thing I don't like is that only Versamail is supported for e-mailing documents from within DTG. That limitation is a carry-over from previous versions but I didn't like the implementation so I never used it. Since DataViz is touting InTact Technology, I had hoped they could support other e-mail apps from within. I suppose I can still attach the document from my e-mail app (Chatter).
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Download a 30-day trial. So far so good but one thing I don't like is that only Versamail is supported for e-mailing documents from within DTG. That limitation is a carry-over from previous versions but I didn't like the implementation so I never used it. Since DataViz is touting InTact Technology, I had hoped they could support other e-mail apps from within. I suppose I can still attach the document from my e-mail app (Chatter).
    That's wierd. I can send via Chatter directly from Doc's to Go.

What's also wierd, I'm not able to copy and paste cell contents from Sheet to Go to another cell. Could somebody check and see if they are experiencing the same thing and post their results? Thanks
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I've been with DTG for a long time and I am beta testing this new version. We are on the second build.

Problem is that they are not responsive to issues. They will return an email when the fix is easy but when they don't have an answer they refuse to communicate. I took their invitation to beta test with a promise from them that there would be communication back and forth so they could improve on things as we found issues.

My contact (I use that term loosely) is a guy named Chris and I thought he was OK at first but he turned into a ghost when he could not solve my problems. I emailed him 3 times with no response and ended up losing a highly sensitive document.

The second someone makes a competitive product, I will endorse it to the hilt. I hope no one buys this product. Its amazing how many companies make money off us while treating us like little lambs to the slaughter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    From looking at the screen shots it appears the file explorer is an additional view from the main DTG program. As such, I wouldn't think you'd want to use it as a FileZ replacement due to slow speed in launching the application. Also, I don't know if it will have all of the FileZ options and I suspect it does not.

I think the point of it is that you can quickly access you documents from anywhere on your device.
    Interesting...I wonder if version 9 will allow you to save your documents in separate folders, just like you would with a desktop or laptop.
    I am using it now for a few hours, and think its worth the upgrade for the speed itself. It opens my documents MUCH faster, like seconds instead of almost a minute... Same thing with saving and closing the docs.... I also like that when the exel doc opens, I don't haveto spread out each collumn to see what's in it, it already is the whole width..
    PS the File explorer is not that exciding, sorry...
    my bro has had the file explorer on his mobi office... and can open rtf files natively...

ABOUT time for D2G...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by qb11g View Post
    That's wierd. I can send via Chatter directly from Doc's to Go.
    This was a case of operator-error, I had Chatter shutdown so it didn't appear in DTG. http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/1662/doh4jw.gif

So far I think the InTact Technology and spped improvements may be worth the upgrade. PDFs open pretty fast now. I am not too happy about the compatibility issues with Office 2007 and having to buy another upgrade, but it sounds like that going to be a problem with whatever version of DTG you are running.
    Question for the guys who've installed DtoG Ver 9:

Now that they have off-loaded the legacy formats, does DtoG occupy more space than Ver8? (including InTact?)
    Last edited by GreenHex; 10/19/2006 at 08:37 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast