Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DTG-9 seems to occupy about the same amount of space as version 8, maybe 1 MB more. However, using the DTG migration to SD option, the impact to main memory seems negligible.
    So I guess DocsToGo cannot be run of the SD card?

Is there any other alternative to DocsToGo that is very good? QuickOffice perhaps?
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    So I guess DocsToGo cannot be run of the SD card?

Is there any other alternative to DocsToGo that is very good? QuickOffice perhaps?
    It can be run off SD card, for the most part. The entire program is roughly 5mb, that's just a guess. The applications themselves can all be moved to the card with a built in utility, but the Docs2Go launcher stays on the Treo and takes up 600k.
    You guys going to do it?
    Are you going to pay $29.99 to upgrade?

http://www.dataviz.com/purchase/upgr...ogo/index.html
    Just call me Berd.
    done and done
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    done and done
    Thanks for the <merge>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 10/19/2006 at 11:59 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    I WANT this version, but I'll wait it out and hope for some discount sometime down the line... (I already have 8, so i could not take advantage of the latest offer)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if the file "dvzplatformlib" can be moved to the SD Card? Its 572K (DTG is already 505K) in size. I was able to move all other files to the card except this one.
    "dvzplatformlib" must remain in ROM. How are you moving DTG to the card? You should be using the built-in DTG tool.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    "dvzplatformlib" must remain in ROM. How are you moving DTG to the card? You should be using the built-in DTG tool.
    Yeah Im Using the DTG tool. I was wondering if maybe dvzplatformlib could be moved manually. But you're right, needs to remain in RAM. Thanks.
    I bit the bullet and upgraded. I leave the apps in RAM as I never know what SD card I might have in. I also only have Docs, Sheets, and PDF. Still, I seem to have MORE memory (RAM) left after the upgrade. COuld well be the dropping of the legacy formats.

Which brings up the point that, after the upgrade, YOU CAN NOT READ YOUR OLD SHEETS-2-GO, DOCS-2-GO FORMATTED DOCS. You can read Word docs, Excel sheets... but not docs and sheets you saved in native format. Convert them over to Word or Excel before you upgrade.

DataViz should provide a quick and easy conversion tool from docs_to_go, sheets_to_go to word and excel for upgraders.... (but they don't)
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    When will these company's STOP with the fees?
    No experience running or managing a business, I assume?

Do you get paid for your job? Would you volunteer to work for free if asked? Do you think programmers should work for free?

I think many people assume that because software for the Palm is (relatively) small, it's easy to write. The truth is often the exact opposite. Writing for a Windows PC with a Gig of memory and a 2 GHz processor is easy. Who cares how sloppy you are with your code? The program will still run at a reasonable speed. The first programs I ever wrote were for a (mainframe) computer with 32 MB (not GB) of main memory (we called it "core"). Let me tell you, that's a LOT harder. You worry about every byte (that's why we had the Y2K issue), and sweat to eliminate every redundant line of code. And we didn't even have to worry about a graphical display.

It's one thing for solo developers who sell a couple of small utilities they develop as a sideline to offer free upgrades. They can choose their own rate of pay. But a product like DTG is a major development and maintenance effort, and programmers have to be paid the going commercial rate, plus benefits.

And I assume that if you email the company about a problem, you'd appreciate a response? That's another person (at least one), with a salary and benefits. Oh, and maybe someone to develop and maintain the web site? And write the documentation. (Sure, you could ask your programmers to do that, but then they're not coding, you get crummy support and documentation, and your best programmers quit and go places where they don't have to do that other stuff.) And if you've hired more than just a couple of people, you need someone to run payroll and manage benefits. And don't forget the accountant who handles your books and taxes. Oh, yeah--you've got to pay the taxes, too.

And let's not forget the cost of office space, desks, computers, and insurance on the above. And the cost of recruiting new employees when current ones quit, or you just need to expand.

Sure, let's give all the upgrades out for free. How many updates do you think you'd get, and how long do you think the company would stay in business? When was the last time Microsoft gave you a free update to MS Office?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  13.    #33  
    Geez...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    FYI, DTG9 still does not support Office2007
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    No experience running or managing a business, I assume?

Do you get paid for your job? Would you volunteer to work for free if asked? Do you think programmers should work for free?

I think many people assume that because software for the Palm is (relatively) small, it's easy to write. The truth is often the exact opposite. Writing for a Windows PC with a Gig of memory and a 2 GHz processor is easy. Who cares how sloppy you are with your code? The program will still run at a reasonable speed. The first programs I ever wrote were for a (mainframe) computer with 32 MB (not GB) of main memory (we called it "core"). Let me tell you, that's a LOT harder. You worry about every byte (that's why we had the Y2K issue), and sweat to eliminate every redundant line of code. And we didn't even have to worry about a graphical display.

It's one thing for solo developers who sell a couple of small utilities they develop as a sideline to offer free upgrades. They can choose their own rate of pay. But a product like DTG is a major development and maintenance effort, and programmers have to be paid the going commercial rate, plus benefits.

And I assume that if you email the company about a problem, you'd appreciate a response? That's another person (at least one), with a salary and benefits. Oh, and maybe someone to develop and maintain the web site? And write the documentation. (Sure, you could ask your programmers to do that, but then they're not coding, you get crummy support and documentation, and your best programmers quit and go places where they don't have to do that other stuff.) And if you've hired more than just a couple of people, you need someone to run payroll and manage benefits. And don't forget the accountant who handles your books and taxes. Oh, yeah--you've got to pay the taxes, too.

And let's not forget the cost of office space, desks, computers, and insurance on the above. And the cost of recruiting new employees when current ones quit, or you just need to expand.

Sure, let's give all the upgrades out for free. How many updates do you think you'd get, and how long do you think the company would stay in business? When was the last time Microsoft gave you a free update to MS Office?
    Option B, of course, is just to not buy buggy software. If it has things that you think make it incomplete, don't buy it expecting the "bugs" will be fixed. V9 has IMO many bug fixes that made previous versions unusable. I think it is a strong suite. But if I find during my demo that there are still usability issues, I will not buy it with the expectation of a fix from DataViz.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    if I upgrade will my 700 still have version 8 in ROM? Will I be able to get rid of the old version that is built in?
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
  17.    #37  
    Hey guys, you made me so bad, I upgraded this morning. Guess what? Its working great, no problems, no regrets
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Hey guys, you made me so bad, I upgraded this morning. Guess what? Its working great, no problems, no regrets
    Yea, but you still should have got it for free!
    Just call me Berd.
    and by the way, the file explorer function is only for DTG files so it is not like filez or resco explorer where you can see all files.
    Treoing & Loving it
    What's up with the "new" Explorer in DTG_9? It looks just like the Explorer in DTG_8.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast