1. mjf
    Since day 1, whenever I insert an SD card, the phone/radio on my Sprint 700P turns on! (unless of course it was already on) Anyone else have this issue? (couldn't find it searching Treocentral). Any fixes?

Thanks
    Palm Pilot Personal -->Palm Personal with 2MB upgrade-->Palm IIIe-->Palm IIIXe-->Palm VIIx-->Palm i705-->Treo 600-->Treo700p
    Think this is as intended...
    The phone has always turned on and is intended. However, the radio turning on is strange. I just tested and it doesn't happen on mine, unless I needed to wait more than a couple seconds.
  4. mjf
    Not sure why this is 'as intended'--- why on earth would I want the radio to turn on just because I inserted an sd card? Just to clarify-- when I say the radio turning on, I mean that the musical arpeggio plays, the yellow Sprint splash screen displays, and the radio signal turns on.

This never happened on the Treo 600 upon inserting an sd card.
    Have any others noticed this? If not, any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks much.
    Palm Pilot Personal -->Palm Personal with 2MB upgrade-->Palm IIIe-->Palm IIIXe-->Palm VIIx-->Palm i705-->Treo 600-->Treo700p
    Do you happen to be running GoodLink? I think it happens when you have a \PALM\start.prc file on the card. Mine was put there by GoodLink but there may be other apps that also create a start.prc file.

As for why Good puts a start.prc file there, that's still a mystery.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  6. mjf
    Thanks for your post. I do have Goodlink installed so perhaps this is the answer! I don't keep Goodlink running though--- I use Goodlink when I need to, and then soft reset to "turn it off" (this is the only way to turn it off)-- otherwise it burns through the battery. But that start.prc would still be installed by Goodlink even if Goodlink is not running. so I bet that's it.

It's not that big a deal to have the radio turn on with SD card insertion-- more just a pain in the b--- that I was hoping there might be a quick fix for.

Thanks again
    I tried it with an SD card that did not have the start.prc file and the radio did not automatically come on, so I'm certain that's the root cause.

99% of the time I can go a whole day on one battery with GL running (getting 100-150 messages a day) and using the phone a rough average of 60 minutes per day. Is working with Good in offline mode any better? At least that would save the time/annoyance of a soft reset and Good re-init?

Not sure what your mileage is but have you tried a new battery in case the current one is suffering from a memory effect? I honestly hadn't heard of the memory effect with Treo batteries and it *shouldn't* happen with Li-Ion, but I've seen it before with other phones.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  8. mjf
    Thanks for your msg. By doing the reset and effectively turning GoodLink off, I am able to go from a battery drain of 5% per hour to 5-10% per day with 10 minutes of phone use. I rarely use the phone during the week, mostly just programs on the PDA. I love having GoodLink but only use it once or twice a week, usually on the weekend. So by leaving GoodLink off, I only need to recharge at night like once a week! I got the extended battery from Seidio as a gift and it does seem to work well, but since I don't really need GoodLink on, and since doing a reset is as simple as using the mreset pgm (don't even need to take the battery cover off), I prefer not having GoodLink 'burning' in the background constantly and wasting energy (even though I doubt greenhouse gases are being affected!).

Thanks again for your insight.
    Sounds like your approach works well for your needs. I'm rarely in my office for very long and need instant access to email, so I got used to the nightly charge long ago. I think it was back in the Treo600 days