1.    #1  
    I am just curious, is it just me, or does everyone elses treo crash a couple of times a day. Mine seems to reboot itself at least 3 - 4 times a day, but for no particular reason. Sometimes it is when I am trying to launch an application, particularly either the web browser or chatter. I feel like this is not normal for a phone. Does anyone else have this problem? Is my unit defective. Should I try taking back to Sprint since I am sure it is still under warranty.

Thanks.
    Not me. Mine seems pretty stable. The only thing that repeatedly crashes mine is if - in the SMS app - I try to "call" someone who sent an SMS. I'd look at the apps you have loaded. I have Chatter, Verichat [hacked version], VolumeCare, BackupMan, and Datebk6 - all seem very stable on the 700P.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Not any more.

When I transfered the data from the 650 to the 700 some of the databases must've gotten mangled. It was crashing all the time. I deleted them and re-entered them by hand, no more crashes.
    It is not normal. Things to look at:

#1 - are you using the latest releases of the applications on your device.

The file system used by the 650/700 series is different from previous Palm releases. Older applications just cannot cope with it. Newer applications are designed to work with it, freeing memory as they exit, et cetera.

#2 - is there a particular application have you noticed the most problems with?

The problems I had initially with the 650 occurred most often with HanDBase. It was not really HanDBase's problem, it was later found to be related to memory management. More further on.

#3 - do you do device based backups very often?

Backing up your device really messes with the memory on the device. The db cache memory becomes fragmented something fierce and in addition to becoming fragement something fierce, just plain gets used up - after a backup as little as .5 mb is not that unusual in the free db cache area. However, though it does mess with the memory, routine backups with a device based application is very, very, very important - especially if you use it in situations like I do - hours of work has to be maintained on a long term basis. (Short term backups are done using NorthGlide's On Guard/Restore - and it is an application I recommend for anyone needing to make sure their data is always current upon termination of an application).

What to do - Resco Backup has been updated to deal with this problem and does handle it well. Alarms are disabled during a backup. It clears the db cache upon exiting the automagical backup and has an option to reset the device upon exiting the automagical backup. In addition, it has an option to lock problem applications in to memory - this helps a lot.

What to do - Butler - it has an option to clear rogue entries from the db cache after applications are exited. Preference Doctor has a feature that monitors the db cache level and clears the db cache when that level is reached.

#4 - do you practice safe memory management (not to be be confused with the other thing).

Safe memory management means keeping as much free memory as possible on the device and ensuring that the db cache is kept at a healthy level - unfragement and as much free as possible.

A third party launcher that moves files to the SD card for storage, copies those files to the device's main memory for launching and then moving those files back to the SD card provides you with the ability to maintain "maximum" free memory. The big dude on the block is ZLauncher - it does an outstanding job maintaining free memory, as does the competition. I use ZLauncher for its ability to handle customization and to handle multiple creator IDs - the multipe creator IDs handling really means maxing the free memory, where the ability to customize until you drop means making the device look and act the way you want it to.

Safe memory management also means keeping the db cache healthy and that means monitoring it. Monitoring it can be done with a couple of utilities (I use MemoryInfo 1.1) and clearing the db cache as needed OR you can have Preference Doctor do it for you. I used MemoryInfo with great success, though on occasion an application in the db cache would have a problem with the deletion of one of its related files. With Butler and Preference Doctor working together to monitor and maintain the db cache, I have had no loss of anything. No unplanned resets. Stability on my Treo 650 and 700p is solid.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by mhalpert View Post
    I am just curious, is it just me, or does everyone elses treo crash a couple of times a day. Mine seems to reboot itself at least 3 - 4 times a day, but for no particular reason. Sometimes it is when I am trying to launch an application, particularly either the web browser or chatter. I feel like this is not normal for a phone. Does anyone else have this problem? Is my unit defective. Should I try taking back to Sprint since I am sure it is still under warranty.

Thanks.
    Hello mhalpert,

You might try dialing for the access log to see what error was recorded following a reset. Sprint is ##377, Verizon is #*#377, reference Find out if your Treo 650 or 600 reset itself (and the error code it recorded).
    This may give you a clue as to which is the offending application.
    You can also hotsync the Treo to back up all your data and then perform a hard reset. Don’t re-hotsync, just run it “clean” for a day or two to see if you still experience the resets. If there is no reset issue with it clean, then start reinstalling your third-party apps till you can reproduce the issue. Check here for details: Diagnosing problems caused by third party applications.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Michaels; 10/04/2006 at 04:51 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I agree, find out what's causing the crash by dialing ##377.

I was having lots of instability, found out using ##377 it was LudasP v 1.6. I upgraded to v 1.9 and things have been tight since then, no real crashes.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    FWIW .... have had my 700p since the end of June. One crash so far.