1.    #1  
    ugh. new alternative to bluetooth from Nokia called "wibree"

Maybe I need to relax about this, guess I'm feeling my oats this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    ugh. new alternative to bluetooth from Nokia called "wibree"

Maybe I need to relax about this, guess I'm feeling my oats this morning.
    I can understand the frustration of watching your favorite standard FINALLY get some traction, then meet a potential obstacle. In fact, it's the kind of thing that keeps me from being too quick to adopt certain newer technologies.

However, I'm not quite as p.o.'ed as you are about it.

The lower power consumption is a very nice plus. If it COULD, somehow, merge with existing Bluetooth technology, as you suggested, without affecting compatibility, that seems like the ideal solution.

Strengthening Bluetooth sounds like the way to go. Listening to music through my Bluetooth stereo headphones eats up monstrous amounts of power, as-is. Lowering that consumption would be great.
    Depending on what they mean by "consuming only a fraction of the power". If there is a substantial improvement in battery life, then I'm all for it even if the other aspects aren't very big improvements (or not at all when comparing speed to BT2.0). Battery consumption is pretty hefty when I listen to music via A2DP on my Cing 8125. Couple that with using WiFi at the same time and you have a noticible drain on the battery. If our wireless technologies can start using less juice, then we're headed in the right direction.

I agree that it will be another spec bullet point, but I'm sure it's just going to be coupled with the BT spec bullet. We'll be looking at devices that have "BT2.x w/wibree" or something. Bluetooth has too much steam now to be abandoned.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz View Post
    Depending on what they mean by "consuming only a fraction of the power". If there is a substantial improvement in battery life, then I'm all for it even if the other aspects aren't very big improvements
    Well, Nokia claims it's a 10x improvement, which is pretty substantial. But that comes with a slight decrease in speed.

Not to mention they're also suggesting making combo chips, which would cancel out most of the power improvement they're talking about.
    nokia = make a standard into a non-standard with the hope that it becomes standard...

just like what m$ tried to do with javascript (jscript)... :roll:
    Bluetooth works, and works well for what it was designed to do. Its also still being developed, and features added to it... Just another "If it ain't broke, LETS MESS WITH IT"

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I feel that innovation is good. I am not very happy with how slow Bluetooth has emerged; to me it's always felt like a technology that isn’t that great was forced to market. If Wibree proves to be a better technology or a good add-on to Bluetooth I look forward to it. Of course all this coming from Nokia, who hasn't innovated anything in a while, it remains to be seen if they successfully bring it to market.