Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I only bought it because I sold my 8125 for $300, meaning I only had to come up with $100 more.

Nahh.. who am I kidding? I would've bought it anyway. The 8125 ruined WM for me.
    My plan was to wait for the 750w, but my 650 is coming on two years and I've dropped it so many times. It is starting to reset on me a lot now, even though I haven't installed any new programs in the last 6 months. I think it is time for her to rest. Is anyone taking advantage of the $125 cash trade-in of our 650? I think it is only available on Palm's website. You also get stereo headphones and ptunes deluxe or something.

I forgot to mention you get a 1gig SD card to store music also. Just something for all you Cingular people looking to upgrade.
    Last edited by thxac3; 11/23/2006 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Update
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Do you suppose they are reading my posts? Of course, Cingular has still not announced or taken an order and Palm has not shipped. I am sure that I will see the posts when they finally do. Given their record, Silly Season may still not be over. Then there is the executive quote about Jeff, rudely calculated to keep the speculation alive. What would we do on TC if their security was any good?
    OK whmurray, it's up on Cingular's site a day early. Silly Season, at least for internet buyers, is over.

Silly Season for the 750 will now start.
    I predict by January 2007.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Now that i've seen that the db cache and dynamic ram has increased... this is tempting...

THO it seems battery life did take a hit...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    GSM Palm OS users have been screwed all year by Palm. I will not upgrade, too little too late.
    Really! of course, if Palm had any sense they could've released a 700p with wi-fi that would've made almost everyone able to access high-speed internet anywhere in the world. Instead, you get some EVDo junk which is very pricey, and CMDA and not available in numerous places.

Plus..

No way I'm going to upgrade if I have to change my peripherals and accessories.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Anybody see this?

"Cable Connector

The Treo 680 uses the same connector as the Treo 650 -- Palm refers to it as their "Multi-Connector." As with the 750v, the HotSync cable no longer has a space for the power plug; they now sit side-by-side."

Looks like they screwed us on cables and connectors once again. No one uses the Palm connectors. The Seidio ones that everyone does use, will not work.

They price the phone low and make it up system cost. They are pond scum and bottom feeders.
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/24/2006 at 11:09 AM.
    I don't understand. Palm changed the design of their cable, but not the connector. Why wouldn't someone else's cable not work when the connector is identical?
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I don't understand. Palm changed the design of their cable, but not the connector. Why wouldn't someone else's cable not work when the connector is identical?
    On your 650, the power connection and the data connection are a distance apart. The 680 has the same two connectors. They are the same as they are on the 650. However, what the quote says is that they are not in the same place relative to each other.

As long as you use two cables on your 650 and are content to do so on your 680, you are okay.

No one liked the idea of two cables. Even Palm knows that. Hell, even Apple knows it. The result is that there is an after market in cables and connectors. Apparently the 680 will create yet another one. The three cables that I have for my 650 will not work.

Incidentally, the two cables that shipped with the 650 did not make stable connections; one could not have confidence in them. The record is right here in TC; you can go back and read it. One big advantage of the Siedio after market cable was that it created stable connections for both data and power.

For those of us that have purchased every new device since the Palm V, this has been a constant complaint. The cost of the device is inflated by the total system cost. Over and over again, they assure us that this is the last time that they will change the connectors. Over and over again, they renege. This time, not only does it appear that they have reneged again but they are bragging that they have not.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    I second that motion! My big beef with the 680 has nothing to do with it technically per se. The problem I may have with it is a combination of what it does or doesn't offer above the 650 to justify the price. What would be really telling, frankly, is if Palm doesn't drop the 650 from the live product list when the 680 comes out.
    LOL

I am sure that they will keep the 650. I doubt that they will drop the price. At equal prices, the 650 might even outsell the 680. I will be watching for a report here of someone who has upgraded from the 680 to the 650. One clearly cannot "upgrade" in the other direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    For those of us that have purchased every new device since the Palm V, this has been a constant complaint. The cost of the device is inflated by the total system cost. Over and over again, they assure us that this is the last time that they will change the connectors. Over and over again, they renege. .
    Right on! They are incredibly arrogant in their failure to even consider making things backward compatible. I'm sick and tired of tossing out every accessory I have every time a new model comes out.

My solution: I upgrade less and less. I didn't buy the 650 until my 600 broke. I'm not likely to upgrade past the 650 for a good long time either.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    My old cable works just fine on my 680. They are the same connector.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I ordered mine last night. The volume rocker has been missing on my T650 for some time. I checked out the "trade-in" offer on PalmOne, indicated that the condition of my Treo is "poor" and still was told I was eligible for the $125 trade-in rebate, so I figure I can get a "replacement" for $275 - that's not bad.

I don't have Windows on my PCs, so I'm unlikely to want it on a phone. If the Palm OS Treos eventually go the way of the dinosaur, I'll have to look to see just what I want in its place. But for me, the 680 is my only choice since I need GSM. So, is it an "upgrade"? - well, yeah I think so. The greatest downside on my phone is that I run out of internal memory. Actually, right now I have the most memory available that I've had in a LONG time - 7 MB - but I am often at the 2M and under situation (I use/test a lot of email apps because I'm an email consultant), and just having more available internal phone memory will be good for me. I will have to see how I deal with the reports of diminished battery life - I can barely make it through a day on my 650! I'll have to see if all of my apps work properly, etc.

However, for me it seems like the 680 is an "upgrade" because of the memory changes. If all else turns out to be equal, that's probably good enough. Even on ebay a new, unlocked T650 is about $275, and so if I get a 680 for that it will probably be "worth" the change - guess I'll just have to wait to see <g>.

Danita
    I'll upgrade when the Treo ALPS phone comes out, or when my 650 dies. If the 650 dies, I'll get a reasonable Treo Palm model to hopefully hold me over until the ALPS versions are out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTenTodd View Post
    That is what they said. It is not inconsistent with what I said.
    I agree!! I am using all of the same accessories that I had with my 650, including the cradle/charger. The connector is EXACTLY the same. It is the charger and travel sync cable that comes with the phone that are now separate. All work perfectly fine with both 650 and 680.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    This doesn't surprise me. In fact, several of the 650 cable comments have been confusing to me... since the sync cable and dock I got for my 650 have both the data and power connector in one piece and they work fine. maybe they were discussion holdovers from the 600? Not sure. Thanks for clarifying based on actual experience.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678