Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlos View Post
    Not many at the current time but they will be flipping the switch here in Florida by the end of October, supposedly. I really have no idea about the rest of the country. Cingular has been dragging it's feet with it's implementation of UTMS/HSDPDA and EDGE is a joke, reminds me of dial up. Sprint and Verizon have had their EVDO service available for some time now. Rumors have come to rise stating that Sprint may be in the process of upgrading their service to 4G by next year.

Since I prefer a GSM phone, I'll have to wait for the high-end Treo running the next generation Palm OS.
    This is why I am settling for the 680 at the moment. I'm sure Palm will ship a GSM/UTMS/HSPDA capable phone some time but if there is no infrastructure to exploit the feature I can't imagine why they'd spend oodles of engineering dollars adding the feature now rather than waiting. For now I am go to kick and scream at T-Mo and Cingulars to get their asses moving on the infrastructure.
    Upgrade? The 680 is vaporware. One cannot possibly make a decision about a phone that is not even priced, much less shipping.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Upgrade? The 680 is vaporware. One cannot possibly make a decision about a phone that is not even priced, much less shipping.
    Actually we can..and many have. It is the silly season for us GSM users.

BTW it appears that you have decided it is only "Vaporware", so you to have made a decision on the 680.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    GSM Palm OS users have been screwed all year by Palm. I will not upgrade, too little too late.
    It did not start this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT[RIGHT
    ex;1115370]Actually we can..and many have. It is the silly season for us GSM users.
    Perry, where are you.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT[RIGHT
    BTW it appears that you have decided it is only "Vaporware", so you to have made a decision on the 680.
    I did not "decide" that it is vaporware. It is vaporware by definition. If anyone "decided" that it is vaporware, it is Palm. In fact, I do not think they decided anything. For them it is simply business as usual. Never have so many bought a product from a company that so few like.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I did not "decide" that it is vaporware. It is vaporware by definition.
    Depends on your definition. Wikipedia, for example, implies that the product has to fail to materialise, which doesn't seem to be the case here. I've always thought the term implied at least no imminent availability, whereas the 680 looks like it will be here in a matter of days. In the UK at least, I can order the phone from well-known suppliers too, FWTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Depends on your definition. Wikipedia, for example, implies that the product has to fail to materialise,..........
    Perhaps. However, since almost anything might materialize at some point in the future, that definition excludes more than it includes. My recollection is that I was accused of vaporware whenever I announced something before I was ready to say when I would deliver, on the suspicion that, as may be so in this case, the announcment was intended to forestall purchases of competitive products.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    GSM Palm OS users have been screwed all year by Palm. I will not upgrade, too little too late.
    I agree, Palm has really screwed over the three major GSM carriers in North America (Rogers, T-Mobile and Cingular). The Treo 680 is a waist of Palm resources marketing an outdated OS they plan on fazing out which as it seems will be replaced by Windows Mobile and ALP (Access Linux Platform - ETA Q1 2007). I'm holding out for the Treo 750 as long as Rogers Wireless gets it before December. Since Rogers has pulled the Treo 650 from their online site and most stores have removed it from their shelves I'm hoping the 750 will be released soon. The Treo 750 over the 680 would make sense considering Bell started recently selling the Treo 700 (CDMA) to customers. The 750 is closer in specs to the 700 than the 680 is.
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me View Post
    This is why I am settling for the 680 at the moment. I'm sure Palm will ship a GSM/UTMS/HSPDA capable phone some time but if there is no infrastructure to exploit the feature I can't imagine why they'd spend oodles of engineering dollars adding the feature now rather than waiting. For now I am go to kick and scream at T-Mo and Cingulars to get their asses moving on the infrastructure.
    Cingular has decent coverage for UMTS at this point.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    OP, "Upgrade." Are you kidding me?!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe View Post
    Cingular has decent coverage for UMTS at this point.
    Local coverage trumps everything else. I am glad that you have yours. However, it is absurd to say that twenty markets is "decent" when compared to Verizon and Sprint who each have ten times as many. Cingular's coverage is so sparse that even they feel that the less said about it the better. It is to be hoped that the T-Mobile roll out planned for 2007 will spur them on.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    If it helps at all, there are rom images on news groups that will make your Treo 650 act more like a 680. I know because I am testing them. And yes, my 650 does OTA Syncing with Exchange! It rocks, email, calendar, contacts, combined with backup buddy, I almost never need to get near a desktop.

True the 680 has ram, and looks like a nice package, but I think it is too little too late for 650 owners. On the other hand, for people just getting into smartphones, if the 680 sells from Palm for $199 unlocked and even less from carriers, it could be a great choice to get them started. I for one am looking forward to checking one out and examining the apps that are being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    There is only one reason I would upgrade -- to buy a PalmOS Treo that doesn't crash. And to buy one that does full OTA push sync to my Exchange Server at work.

There are TWO reasons I would upgrade -- to buy a PalmOS Treo that doesn't crash, and one that does full OTA sync to my Exchange Server at work, and is smaller/lighter than my 650.

THREE reasons. There are three reasons I would upgrade . . . .
    Local coverage trumps everything else. I am glad that you have yours. However, it is absurd to say that twenty markets is "decent" when compared to Verizon and Sprint who each have ten times as many. Cingular's coverage is so sparse that even they feel that the less said about it the better. It is to be hoped that the T-Mobile roll out planned for 2007 will spur them on.
    All i know is that we used my buddy's UMTS card on a road trip from DC to Cleveland to NYC. I'm sure we dropped to EDGE speeds at times, but i didnt notice it. Real world tests always trump '"coverage maps." I too hope that T-Mobile can spur them on, though T-Mobile has never really challenged Cingular in anything. If I can someday get a Palm OS 3G treo i'll be happy.
    All i know is that we used my buddy's UMTS card on a road trip from DC to Cleveland to NYC. I'm sure we dropped to EDGE speeds at times, but i didnt notice it. Real world tests always trump '"coverage maps." I too hope that T-Mobile can spur them on, though T-Mobile has never really challenged Cingular in anything. If I can someday get a Palm OS 3G treo i'll be happy.
    The demographers call that the "golden triangle" It does embrace a large percentage of the population, if not of the country.

Speaking of coverage maps, I can never find Cingular's map. On the few occasions when I did (tried this am. Did you know that the Cingular site is nto compatible with Firefox?), these old eyes could not discern the difference between the shades of gold that Cingular uses to show gprs/EDGE/UMTS. Of course, that's just these old eyes; I am sure that young people have no problem at all.

I too hope for a POS 3G GSM phone. Silly season goes on. Perry, where are you?
    I am a Cingular user, and since my phone is provided by my company, that's not going to change.

I bought my 650 through the RoadShow, and it is now a year old (I managed to get a new (refurbished) one right before the end of my year warranty which was about a year ago). As another poster noted, my 650 is old, cranky and my buttons are worn out. In addition, it has developed several odd habits which make me think it's on its last legs.

My choices, as I see them are:

1. Buy the 680 (probably through Cingular for lowest price). Sure, I'm locked into a Cingular plan, etc., but my company is anyway.

2. Buy a new 650. The price for an unlocked 650 is $199.

3. Wait, holding my breath that Cingular will bring out the 700p. Since they're bringing out the 680, I really don't see this happening any time soon.

I don't like options 2 or 3 since I can get double (or slightly more) RAM with the 680, and memory has always (from day 1) been one of my main problems with the 650 (Do not tell me here about PowerRun or another program like it - I use it and there are some programs that simply do not run or run well on it), I think this alone may be worth it.

In addition, I could not care less about WiFi on my Treo. Sure, it may be important for some of you, but I don't need or want to surf the web all of the time. I need to mainly check my email and do some other minor tasks on the net on my Treo. If I need to do more, I use my laptop when I can.

The 680 looks like the perfect solution for me right now. Do I think it's a great step up? Heck, no! Would I buy it if my 650 wasn't falling apart? Again, heck no! But it is, and I am not patient enough to wait for a possible future Perfect Treo. This is good enough, it's here, and I can use it.

Good enough for me for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJRads View Post
    But it is, and I am not patient enough to wait for a possible future Perfect Treo.
    I fear that the perfect Treo (3G GSM, Palm OS) will never exist.
    i think treo680 is wonderful upgrade for treo600,not 650.Maybe Palm publish this device for more customer who do not have a treo yet.Although treo650 is an old one,but you can hardly find a phone better than it,is it?650 is still one of the best phones.
    I fear that the perfect Treo (3G GSM, Palm OS) will never exist.
    That is not "perfect" but only good. Let us not make the perfect the enemy of the good. 3G GSM Palm OS is a huge market. It is much larger than the CDMA/WM market that Palm loves so much. Palm cannot see that because they view the market through the prism of the (US) carriers.
    #1 - Perfect is subjective. What one person defines as perfect is different from what someone else defines as perfect.

#2 - Even if the "perfect" device is produced, by the time you get it home from the store, some other new technology will be available, making it obsolete.

Buy what meets your own needs today, being well aware that something better will come along tomorrow.
    Dennis G. Esler
    Quote Originally Posted by JJRads View Post
    I don't like options 2 or 3 since I can get double (or slightly more) RAM with the 680, and memory has always (from day 1) been one of my main problems with the 650
    The 680 looks like the perfect solution for me right now. Do I think it's a great step up? Heck, no! Would I buy it if my 650 wasn't falling apart? Again, heck no! But it is, and I am not patient enough to wait for a possible future Perfect Treo. This is good enough, it's here, and I can use it.

Good enough for me for now.
    Yea, this is the same ballpark that I'm in. Many apps don't run (or run well) from the SD card and I never got into hacking the ROM on my 650 some time back like many others did (mostly a "time" problem).

I like the lack of antenna - which I had before I even bought my Treo 180 many years ago; glad to see Palm catching up... My 650 has fallen out of my Seidio holster many times and hit the concrete/pavement/tile/hardwood floors and miraculously keeps working (to the best of it's ability). It's not about the looks of my now much dinged up 650, it's about the fact that some things just don't work right anymore. ie, the recent upgrade to 1.17Cing ROM left me without ability to use my BT headset - have to fix soon.

Should we have received a 650 with 64M in the fist place? You bet. But nothing I can do about that except continue to send them emails about it. That's probably how the whole 680 project got started in the first place - people like us telling them what we really needed and them listening (though a few years later).

And if I have to change out my accessories, I'm ok with that. My previosly mentioned Seidio holster actually came apart recently and I've busted one of my charger cords during a recent early morning phone/alarm clock drop that even left part of the plug still in the treo. (Had to dig that out with the long needle nose pliers.) Besides, I know at least a couple folks who have recently purchased a 650 and might just need some extra accessories...

As far as Windows goes, I've tried my wife's HPaq 3500 (or whatever) a couple times over the past year she's had it and can't figure out how to use the darn thing. I don't think the thing is terrible, just not very user friendly. My Mac and my Palm are the easiest tools I use on a regular basis. There are just things they've done "right" in how they're designed that work best for me and how I think as a user of the tools.

Additionally, my contract is up with Cingular next month anyway and since they have the best data plans in my area (hopefully, they'll grandfather in my $20/mo unlimited data plan), I'll probably stick with them anyway. That and the company discount...

So as someone else said, we all have our own personal opinions about the "perfect" device and, currently, this one sounds like it's mine.

PS - to whoever made mention of the colors on the Cingular coverage map... Last I checked, that was a tactic used by all the different providers. That way, us slightly color blind people can't tell the difference in the colors and think we're getting the everywhere coverage when we're actually not. But that's a whole 'nother discussion...
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast