Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I'm pretty torn and disappointed as well....word is there will be no 750 with Palm OS GSM this year. So that leaves the 680 or a Winmo Treo. But I travel over 150k miles per year with trips to Europe at least quarterly so I need something more stable. Here are my reasons I'd upgrade:

- stability(?) and more memory will hopefully mean less crashes and more room for apps
    - BT 1.2 - not sure if this will be better or not, but I can hope for better sound quality via BT.
    - lighter and slimmer for factor
    - Regular SD card instead of miniSD

Downsides:

- Lowly GPRS for data (not necessarily Palm's fault if GSM carriers in the US are slow to upgrade infrastructure)
    - Much less talk time and battery life
    - new form factor means new accessories - including a new GPS from Seidio (not my favorite company to deal with)

So I'm leaning toward buying the thing for now and hoping something better comes along. The Winmo thing has had me intrigued for a while now but I just cannot warm up to the interface and without a Chatter-like email app it would be too hard to go with a 750v...not to mention I don't like the miniSD thing all that much.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    The connector on my 650 has died, so I can only sync through BT now, which is annoying slow. I've had it for over a year, and I must say, I don't have any complaints. The reason I would upgrade is because I do like the FF- I keep it in my pocket, and the slightest reduction in size or weight will have a big impact for me. And I'm kind of a sucker for the new colors.
    Upgrade?? I could not consider the 680, when coming from a 650, anything less than a lateral move. Yes... the 680 does have more memory, a new form factor, bluetooth v1.2, and various software improvements but no UTMS/HSPDA support... that's plain ridiculous in this day and age.

Don't get me wrong... the 680 is a great entry level phone and will surely secure a strong presence in the market which will benefit us all; I was just angered to find that the only GSM Treo, running the Palm OS, coming out this year was going to be the entry level model?... what a disappointment! Why did they not include a GSM version of the 700p with UTMS/HSPDA connectivity? Some say it's because Palm OS5 cannot handle UTMS/HSPDA... I don't know if this is true or not but nonetheless, I'll be waiting for the ACCESS Linux version coming next year.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlos View Post
    Upgrade?? I could not consider the 680, when coming from a 650, anything less than a lateral move. Yes... the 680 does have more memory, a new form factor, bluetooth v1.2, and various software improvements but no UTMS/HSPDA support... that's plain ridiculous in this day and age.
    4 pluses and 1 no change adds up to an upgrade in my arithmetic. Maybe not what you'd hoped for, semantically it has to be an upgrade, nevertheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlos View Post
    ...but no UTMS/HSPDA support... that's plain ridiculous in this day and age.

No offense, since I really don't know (but think I could guess) - just how many US cities are lit for UTMS/HSPDA today? Not PLANNED but lit cities in the US?
    I think I am getting a 680. If it is a good price. i need palm os and isilo. e61 can't do that
    Depending on the price, I might upgrade. If Bluetooth performance is better, GSM performance is better (the GSM radio on the Treo 650 is pretty bad), and battery life is OK, it's going to be a pretty easy choice. I like the Treo 650, but I don't like that it randomly decides I have no service and has an effective Bluetooth range of about 5 feet.

Stuff that's improved:
    • Fast-mode Blazer (official, not a hacked version which breaks downloading)
    • Slightly smaller (no "stub")
    • More memory
    • Better radio performance (both GSM and Bluetooth)
    • Cheaper
    • New phone app (nicer contact integration, etc.)

I use a Treo 650 for one reason: Chatter. No other mobile email application I have used comes close for IMAP users like myself. IDLE (push), SSL/TLS, and background operation are absolute musts. WM5's client offers none of the above; third party clients (WebIS mail) can't use IDLE with SSL/TLS.

Smartphones / PDA phones, by and large, suck. I've owned:
    - Treo 180
    - Treo 650 (2 of em)
    - Sidekick / Sidekick Color / Sidekick II / Sidekick 3
    - MDA (HTC Wizard)
    - HTC Wallaby (T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone)

NONE of those devices come close to the RF performance, audio quality, and ease of use of the $15 Nokia 3595 I got on Craigslist (it's my "backup" phone). I would never throw my 650 at a wall intentionally (and I always worry about dropping it). When I got rid of my old Nokia 3590 ($7 on eBay), I ran it over with a 2-ton SUV - it still worked afterwards.

Of all the smartphones I've owned, the best executed are the Danger devices. Major downsides? Very limited selection of software and mediocre e-mail support. Upsides? A browser that works well (as of 2.3/3.0) and a UI that's second to none.
  8.    #88  
    Actually I find that teh GSM radio in my Treo650 is pretty good. I use a multi-programmable SIM card and can switch between 3 mobile numbers
    The bluetooth radio is good enough for me to surf around my house upstairs and downstairs using a Bluetooth USB "access point" (which is class 2) over DSL broadband.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    [QUOTE=palmdoc2005;1113897]I use a multi-programmable SIM card and can switch between 3 mobile numbers
    QUOTE]

Can you PLEASE tell me what multi-programmable card you are using? I've tried three different dual SIM card trays now and none of them work with my Treo 650. I have a T-Mo SIM and a UK T-Mo SIM for my Euro travels.

Sorry to go off topic but I am desperate! Thanks.
  10.    #90  

Can you PLEASE tell me what multi-programmable card you are using? I've tried three different dual SIM card trays now and none of them work with my Treo 650. I have a T-Mo SIM and a UK T-Mo SIM for my Euro travels.

Sorry to go off topic but I am desperate! Thanks.
    I use MagicSIM's MultiSIM product. They had a product which allows you to write up to 4 SIM cards in one programmable 64K SIM card. The catch is that your provider's SIM card needs to be backed up by the software first - the newer generation SIM cards have some encryption which defeats the backup software I think.
    I dunno about their newer models and software. YMMV

http://www.magicsim.com/english/cp1.asp?new_id=36

What you could use, if it's only 2 SIM cards you need to switch to and fro is this:

http://www.magicsim.com/english/dual_sim.asp?new_id=26

but you need to perform some minor surgery
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 10/29/2006 at 02:34 AM.
    Thanks. I tried a couple of the dual SIMs already...frankly they all look alike but I guess there are different generations. So maybe this will work...dunno...but the farthest I've gotten with one of them is a single SIM working in slot1, and even then it only worked with voice for some reason.

So maybe I'll give the MultiSIM a try. Does the Treo prompt you to select a SIM upon power up? Or does it work differently with the MultiSIM? And do you need a specific ROM? Thanks again.
  12.    #92  
    No it is ROM independent. It should in fact work on any phone. For the Treo what you'll see under "Sim Services" is a Magic SIM menu
    One of the options is "Switch Number". Just select this and the radio will switch to the other providers. There is no need to switch the phone on and off unlike the older multi-sim adaptors.

http://static.flickr.com/90/282043328_384ce8de08_m.jpg

On the Treo650 what I found though is occasionally the switch does not work unless you manually switch off the phone (press and hold Red button) and then on again.

When you turn on the Treo, the provider used is the last selected one. I can use voice and data with this multi-SIM card. Word of warning though: I fried a couple of SIM cards in the process!
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 10/29/2006 at 02:36 AM.
    Why you call that upgrade. it only change form factor.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Upgrade or not is up for debate. However I was an early adopter, bought the 650 (unlocked) through the Road Show and have worn it out. BEST Smart phone I have used/owned or seen (IMHO). My antenna is loose, my case scratched and my buttons worn. The phone has worked great and I will keep it as a back-up but I will by another unlocked 680 as soon as it is available.

I LUV the PalmOS, (Hate all things M$ - I use SUSE 10.0 for my PC OS)
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    If the 680 is targeted to be an "entry level" phone, we can expect to hear more of that annoying chirp now that it supports PTT.
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by stl08 View Post
    If the 680 is targeted to be an "entry level" phone, we can expect to hear more of that annoying chirp now that it supports PTT.

Does it support PTT? Good to hear!
    Definitely now everyone can find new Treo 650 (unlocked GSM) at below $350.

If Palm want to make a lot of sales for everyone. (old/new palm pda phone users and others)
    What is key success for Treo 680 ?
    Last edited by jojoe; 10/29/2006 at 06:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    No Way!!!
    In my opinion the 680 is just an aesthetic and minor software change from the 650.

However, i'm a mac user and am hoping that apple will release the smartphone they have been developing with wifi and qwerty keyboard. We will see by jan. 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by hdtv4me View Post
    No offense, since I really don't know (but think I could guess) - just how many US cities are lit for UTMS/HSPDA today? Not PLANNED but lit cities in the US?
    Not many at the current time but they will be flipping the switch here in Florida by the end of October, supposedly. I really have no idea about the rest of the country. Cingular has been dragging it's feet with it's implementation of UTMS/HSDPDA and EDGE is a joke, reminds me of dial up. Sprint and Verizon have had their EVDO service available for some time now. Rumors have come to rise stating that Sprint may be in the process of upgrading their service to 4G by next year.

Since I prefer a GSM phone, I'll have to wait for the high-end Treo running the next generation Palm OS.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast