Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I agree with some of the others here ... I think I want one of these after all. Sure, it depends on the price, but the comments about using one of these 680's to push off the time of PalmOS obsolescence as long as possible resonates with me.

I'm hoping by the time the last usable PalmOS phone is gone, WM will have gone to something better than a 240x240 screen.

Besides, the red one looks niiiicce.
    Wait. So we've decided to call this an 'upgrade' now, have we? I don't see how a watered down Treo 650 can be called an upgrade just because the second digit is bigger... Unless of course we're comparing the 680 to a 600, in which case it could possibly, remotely, in some obscure way, be called an upgrade...

I'm sticking with my 650. It works, it's better than the 680, and it doesn't look like a malformed fruit from a second hand grocery store! Plus, now that I've finally got a nice, stable Treo (), I don't want to jinx myself...

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode View Post
    Wait. So we've decided to call this an 'upgrade' now, have we? I don't see how a watered down Treo 650 can be called an upgrade just because the second digit is bigger...
    Well, I'm glad you've got a stable device, as do I, but of course the 680 is an upgrade. A very minor one considering how much time has passed since the 650 debuted, but an upgrade nonetheless. If you don't think so, please point to a 680 spec that is worse than the corresponding one on the 650. I don't think you can find one (unless you don't like the new case, which is a subjective choice). On the other hand, several improvements have been made, albeit small ones, but that's enough to call it an upgrade.
    I call it a replacement because it's not a serious upgrade.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    First of all, I imagine some engineer at Palm lost his job for this one, but cramping an internal antenna into a small case seems like a really bad idea. Either they've underpowered the antenna (causing bad signal which in turn causes worse battery life) or they've given the antenna a more concentrated direction (makes a difference when bordering dead spots). Either way the antenna is worse than the 650. The 1200MaH battery is self explanatory. You think your 650 dies too often now, wait until you get a 680. Compounded battery issues are going to accentuate this problem even more. Other than that the 680 is ALMOST identical to the 650. Same PXA270 proc clocked at 312MHz. Same 16-bit display, which displays the same VGA resolution pictures, which are stored through the same SD card, which still can't be 4GB without a custom ROM. Same quad band device with no W-CDMA, which means still no 3G. The only upgrades here are the 128MB (which I'm willing to bet is going to be incredibly slow to address since it maxes out Garnet's capabilities) and Bluetooth 1.2. Bluetooth 1.2 isn't really an upgrade either, it's close to nothing when compared to Bluetooth 2. The only other thing which is really different is the size of the device. It shaves off a whopping 1MM and an incredibly amazing half an ounce... Sorry, but I just don't understand how this "upgrade" can be justified...

I'd agree with the diva ... it's really more of a replacement than anything else.

Being Treo 680 is a LOW end model it is still less compeling to jump into the band wagon unless they release a Plam OS model with 3G
    R
    Chan
    Treo 680 Mobitel GSM Sri Lanka.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Let's see if folks like Shadowmite can get the 680 firmware running in the 650.
    I will replace my aging 650 which is scratched, low on memory and has keys that are disappearing on me (i think my thumbs are acidic).

The 680 is where I will go first.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by chankla View Post
    Let's see if folks like Shadowmite can get the 680 firmware running in the 650.
    I'm assuming when you say firmware you really mean the entire ROM minus the firmware. The firmware is used on a very low level, to address hardware. The best example I can think of is the BIOS on your computer. Getting the 680 ROM to working condition on a 650 would seem like the rough equivalent of attempting to run iPod software on an iRiver device. It'd require so much hacking that you'd pretty much be rewriting all of the code anyways. I can't imagine having to do all of that in assembley (unless Shadowmite has a decompiler he'd like to share with us ). Maybe I'm wrong, but it wouldn't be difficult to flash the 680 ROM to the 650, but nothing would work either... Reset loop at boot.

will I upgrade ?

it is a hell yeah!
    I will not UPGRADE, REPLACE or whatever you may call it...........not enough to do it.
    Ricardo Soto C.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    please point to a 680 spec that is worse than the corresponding one on the 650.
    Consider and internal antenna that force them to make the SIM card hide under the battery, it will be much harder to switch SIM card when moving between service provider. This is a downgrade for me.
    The next time i replace it will have at least a 2mp camera, 3G and WIFI
    The 680 specs are very little different from the 650 & battery life on the 680 is significantly lower- a total waste of money.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    You know the more I think about it, the comments on this thread are very similar to those I heard from t3 owners when Palm released the Palm Tx (it was called the Tx right?) - most looked at it, looked at their own device and went? Em... no thanks...
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Seems to me that this device is an upgrade over the 650 but I will concede that this is subjective.

I have been a handheld user for quite awhile and I have changed Palms on many occasions because the new model had only a single additional feature I wanted be that more internal memory, a color screen or expansion memory (I bought the T|T, the T|T2 and the T|T3). Heck up until I started using a Treo, I would usually buy an new handheld once a year every year like clockwork. So maybe, I am more flexible then most in my definition of upgrade. On the other hand, IMHO, someone that switched from a 650 to an E62 and considered that an upgrade should consider the move from a 650 to a 680 an upgrade as well.

As to the 680, for me, I would love to have the additional memory, I really like the new form and if the firmware/OS has increased stability over the 650 I will consider this a definite plus (which appears to be the case based on the early reports I have read). If the 680 is sold at a reasonable price and I can get it in the Copper color, I am on this device like white on rice.

Finally, it seems to me that this device is Palm's answer to the Q, the Nokia E62 and the Dash since it appears that it will be priced in the same range as those devices with a contract. IMHO, this Treo compares very favorably to those devices. When compared to those devices, it seems to me that strictly from a hardware standpoint, the only significant difference is the thickness and I am not will to give up a touchscreen to get a thinner profile so that is not a minus to me.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Well, the Dash has WIFI, A2DP, soft touch paint and a 1.3 Megapixel camera. The Dash is not a low end device. Its just a limited device, but not intentionally crippled.

Surur
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    The Dash needs WiFi. After all it is exclusive to T-Mobile, how as would it have any connectivity.

Are you sure it has soft touch paint? The photos and write ups I have seen did not indicate this.

BTW, is it just me or is the Dash really ugly?
    Regards, RoninKSB
    I grew weary. I suffered through stability issues, memory issues, reliability issues with the 650. I was a long-term palm fan. Had a palm pilot, a handspring visor, Tungsten TT then a Treo 600 and finally a 650.

The quality and reliability of Palm's devices has gone down with each iteration. I can live with that all if I feel like I am getting innovation. In all the time since they have had the Treo - what have they done with it? In the end, not very much. The form factor remains the same - still a lack of many common features other phones have. The 680 doesn't offer enough from the 650 for me to switch. In fact in the last 3 weeks I have switched right away from Palm (something I NEVER thought I would do). You know what - it's been great.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB View Post
    The Dash needs WiFi. After all it is exclusive to T-Mobile, how as would it have any connectivity.

Are you sure it has soft touch paint? The photos and write ups I have seen did not indicate this.

BTW, is it just me or is the Dash really ugly?
    Yes, it does have soft touch paint, and people who have seen it in person universally like its appearance. Apparently it just photographs very poorly.

Surur
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I will probably get ths 680 for now and then upgrade whenever they bring out the 750p or whatever with HSPDA (i hope i got that right lol)

I guess i Just want something new since i'd had this 650 for so long and my buddys have the 700p with EVDO... so fast, compared to just gprs... sigh
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast