Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    If 3G is important to you, and available where you want to use it, then fine. But to choose because "it's not as modern" or some other woolly reason is to be a fashion victim. Like I never am, of course!
    Inability to use latest technology IS "not as modern" IMO. Also, features that should have been put on the last model are often in the current one. Or something that is on other phones in the same price range is missing entirely. Palm always manages to cheapen out. These are the main reasons why I got disappointed with Palm.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I hear ya, Diva. And in that same vein, the 680 doesn't seem to add much of anything real for a 650 owner. Unfortunately, there just aren't any new devices out there that make my cream in my shorts and give cause to toss my 650 in the waste bin.

The biggest struggle I personally have is with WM... I hear too many colleagues ***** about having to tap and click all over the place, and they fume worse when they see how easy it is for me to get stuff done on POS. From this, I take it that POS still rulez in the UI usability department. Sadly, their neglect of the OS means it totally falls over in stability and mulitasking. The only other real alternative to these, Symbian, doesn't excite me much either in all honesty.

So... I linger in the hopes that Access will *finally* deliver on what Palm and PalmSource couldn't... a true upgrade/alternative to POS that brings a real OS (Linux) to the UI experience many of us love. The part I still fear is whether Palm will have the balls to kick sand in WM's face and actually implement ALP in a device *and* that carriers will pick it up. Lots of variables and hurdles on a the route, to be sure.

So, I cross my fingers that my trusty 650 won't die before ALP and the Treo 985pxyz+ comes out. If I had to choose right this moment, I might actually opt for a basic phone again! Some things just aren't worth compromising.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Inability to use latest technology IS "not as modern" IMO.
    I heartily disagree. If the "latest technology" is not available, or not useful to a particular user, should they use that as a buying criterion??

Some "latest technologies" are useful, many are not, most don't work as advertised for a year or more after they are released.

People should (once again, I confess I don't always do this!) make their buying decisions on the basis of their needs, not what will impress their geeky mates.
    Last edited by tirk; 10/15/2006 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo!
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I think the only reason I'd consider upgrading to the "T680" would be for high speed internet. More memory and better bluetooth doesn't really excite me.

I've been using my 650 for nearly two years now and I've always had at least 6-8MB of free memory, and I run some larger footprint applications such as Chatter, DateBk6, TakePhone, Docs2Go and others. Sure, it might be nice to move some applications from my card to main memory, but it is absolutely necessary? No.

For a while there I was getting a new phone every month or so, but ever since I picked up a T600 and then a 650 I've been quite happy and productive. Like others here, I guess I'll wait it out and see what ALP does--a new Palm-based OS would be very exciting.
    Stability and memory will probably push me to get it.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    If Palm keeps ups waiting here in Canada, there will be other choices, just came across this in Gizmodo

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/smart...too-205743.php
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wifi on a BB? Cool!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Wifi on a BB? Cool!
    Impossibly!!! Everyone knows WIFI is no solution for business users!!! And what about battery life!!! It will drain the battery in 10 minutes, and then where will all the Berryjuice go???

We all know Palm is waiting for alien technology from the far future before it will be able to put WIFI on a Treo. How could RIM figure it our so soon then? They must be getting help from the NSA!!

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx View Post
    I think the only reason I'd consider upgrading to the "T680" would be for high speed internet. More memory and better bluetooth doesn't really excite me.

I've been using my 650 for nearly two years now and I've always had at least 6-8MB of free memory, and I run some larger footprint applications such as Chatter, DateBk6, TakePhone, Docs2Go and others. Sure, it might be nice to move some applications from my card to main memory, but it is absolutely necessary? No.

For a while there I was getting a new phone every month or so, but ever since I picked up a T600 and then a 650 I've been quite happy and productive. Like others here, I guess I'll wait it out and see what ALP does--a new Palm-based OS would be very exciting.
    The point of the memory isn't the storage really. We've got SD cards to swap out if we really just needed that. The point of the memory is to increase stability as the OS won't have trouble switching things around. You may or may not have experienced your Treo crashing (would be suprised if you didn't though) but I have stopped adding programs (and functionality) to my Treo because of the crashes.

I hear you though on the a new Palm OS. It's about time, and it's needed. I just won't be holding my breath, as blue isn't a good color for me.
    doesn't seem like a great upgrade route from a 650 to me. I'm really excited about what it might do for the community though.

It's a great upgrade route for a 600 owner as long as the price is right (who really cares about IR?)

More importantly it will be a great upgrade route for non treo-owners if the carriers distribute it for free (or cheap) with plans!
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Ok, EDGE speeds are not the end of the world considering that Cingular has been able to get their Cingular Video to perform decently on that amount of bandwidth.

My question regarding the 680 is:

What version of Blazer will be on the device? Will it be the same version as is on the 700P including Kinoma embedded?

What's really important is can the device do what one wants to do with it!
    The radio on my Treo 650 is on a slow but steady downhill decline. the phone is now 1.5 years old. What is the GSM POS phone after the 680? I see where the 680 has a new radio by a different manufacturer and more RAM. I might upgrade, but if I had a sense that the NEXT 'power Palm phone' was coming by the end of the year, say, I would wait.
    Not enought for me to switch. I am waiting on a WM5 GSM Treo. This is geared to the consumer who does not own a Treo and not your average person on this board.
  14.    #54  
    After looking at the specs, pix, videos and initial first look reviews, I have only this to say:

I WANT ONE NOW!!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I definitely want one. I've had my 650 for 18 months and I'd love a 'lower cost' semi-updated phone that should tide me over until Cingular gets the 750p or whatever that European one is. And if it turns out that I'm going to end up having to give up Palm OS, then this will put off the inevitable. Besides, I think I like the 'gaudy' colors .
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Ok, EDGE speeds are not the end of the world considering that Cingular has been able to get their Cingular Video to perform decently on that amount of bandwidth.

My question regarding the 680 is:

What version of Blazer will be on the device? Will it be the same version as is on the 700P including Kinoma embedded?

What's really important is can the device do what one wants to do with it!
    If it's got the internals of the 700p(except for high speed obviously), I'd like to know too. The 700p seems to have lag problems though.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    if it is smaller, I am in!
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    "have multiple connections with Bt ver 1.2"
    does this mean one can use the bt headset and tomtom gps at the same time?? or say gps connection is active and the phone call comes in, call gets directed towards headset but the gps connection is lost until the call is over?? also is this the same case with wm's bt??
    If money were not an issue (for example, work were going to give you your choice for free), you'd definitely choose the 680 over the 650.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Would I upgrade? My treo 650 went a few weeks ago (I have had an e61 for a few months now).

I really don't see myself going back - the 680 does not really seem to offer very much for a user like myself. In addition, after getting use to a phone that a) works well as a phone and b) is as solid as a rock, I'd have to see some very very wide feedback suggesting that palm have overcome their instability problems.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast