Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I have a 650 that I have had for about a year and a half. While its not showing it age in looks, it is in the menu. I am ready to jump from POS to WM5. Now all I need is for Cingular to release the 750.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    I personally think really hard about this question. ABout the only way I can see mysefl moving is if I catch another great price on it (got my 650 for $150 last Christmas) if my 650 were to go and nothing Symbian was attainable (meaning US friendly as well as rightly done).

On the other hand, I would like the updated software, and I am sure that many will have links to that in parts in due time.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    I just got my 650 a few months ago, so no, and although having the newest and shiniest is always nice, late adoption means that the bugs get worked out. Look how long it took for them to get the 650 right! But since I got it now, with the updates and all I have a perfect phone that very rarely crashes, and does everything I want it to do and more.
    Maybe Try a different color?
    Just call me Berd.
    We have had no new Treos in Canada since the 650, and have no idea what will eventually be released here. My provider, Rogers is GSM, so as of now there is no GSM model. No way would I move to a 680. If that is what they release here in Canada, its bye bye Palm after 7 years, and I will go with an HTC Hermes type device that supports WiFi
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I will not move from a 600 to a 680 when verizon has a 700 i will switch carriers first, screw cingular and thier stupid ways
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    I will upgrade to an UNLOCKED 680 from my quite stable & wonderful 600. This is to to get the better screen, bluetooth, extra memory, brighter keypad, and a host of other features. But, it really stinks that Palm isn't offering a GSM version of their 750, which would be high-speed ready.

Andrew
    Um, 750 is GSM, and Cingular is getting it. I am uncertain as to the timing of which will be released first - Cingular 680 or Cingular 750. Word is that the 750 is not playing nice with Cingular's network and that is delaying things.

I'm expecting one or the other in November - but I wish for October for the 680.

Now, if you meant a palm OS (aka POS heh) version of the 750, the blame for that could be tossed between Palm and Access and the brainiac that separated the Palm OS from Palm. For whatever reason, there has never been a Cobalt (the palm OS version after the ancient but current Garnet) phone. That's between Palm and Access I suppose. Access has been working instead on a new OS based on Linux, but that isn't ready.... Garnet is not capable of the real HSPDA simultaneous voice and data. Palm does not have an OS for the 750 and has to use WM.
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    screw cingular and thier stupid ways
    It's always kinda funny when someone misssppelllssss a word (thier) and calls others stoopid in the same post!

What's the specs on the 680 again?
    How much will the upgrade cost be?
    So we get around 32 more mbs with a dying OS all for around $200.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    zrs70 why not go back and make sure every post that you have made is correct before slamming others, oh yea it's spelled sync not syn.
    Yes - I did indeed mean a POS Treo 750 for GSM. I understand the limitations of garnet, but I was hoping for some breakthrough that would allow high-speed data, either with Linux, or some other method. I think several others on this thread have indicated they believe that Palm is discriminating against GSM POS customers. They are leaving us no choice but to go elsewhere. Sad.
    Yes - I did indeed mean a POS Treo 750 for GSM. I understand the limitations of garnet, but I was hoping for some breakthrough that would allow high-speed data, either with Linux, or some other method. I think several others on this thread have indicated they believe that Palm is discriminating against GSM POS customers. They are leaving us no choice but to go elsewhere. Sad.
    Well think about it. There's really no where else for a PalmOS GSM Treo to go. Garnet won't handle UMTS or HSDPA, so what else can Palm really add to a PalmOS GSM Treo that would get people's interest? This is why the 680 is basically a slightly improved 650, there's really nothing else Palm can add to a PalmOS Treo. On a GSM WM Treo, 3G data is a possibility (750), so there's actually more reason for Palm to release a GSM WM Treo. But in the case of a GSM POS Treo, it's at a dead end.
    Yea so what!
    They had to make a switch to WM.
    Did they come out of the gates with a new killer WM device?
    No! They dumped out a memory short 700w.
    Just call me Berd.
    The 700p is able to handle EVDO, so is it capable of UMTS also? If so, that's the one they should release in GSM, not the 680. The 700p is the true 650 upgrade, and even it's a little short on updates. However, if it can't handle UMTS, it's would be useless to buy it also.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    Well think about it. There's really no where else for a PalmOS GSM Treo to go. Garnet won't handle UMTS or HSDPA, so what else can Palm really add to a PalmOS GSM Treo that would get people's interest? This is why the 680 is basically a slightly improved 650, there's really nothing else Palm can add to a PalmOS Treo. On a GSM WM Treo, 3G data is a possibility (750), so there's actually more reason for Palm to release a GSM WM Treo. But in the case of a GSM POS Treo, it's at a dead end.
    Duh, I should have read this post before my last post. So Garnet really is useless with UMTS? Well that's another nail in the coffin for POS. I definitely cannot use Garnet anymore. It's almost 2007 and everyone in GSM is headed toward UMTS with wifi as back-up. Garnet can't even provide wifi and now no UMTS?? No thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    No way would I move to a 680. If that is what they release here in Canada, its bye bye Palm after 7 years, and I will go with an HTC Hermes type device that supports WiFi
    I've been loyal to 3Com, Palm, Handspring, Palm, whatever, for so long - I started with a Palm Pilot Professional, then a Palm Zire, then the Treo 300, 600 and currently the GSM 650. I have a lot invested in PalmOS - I really consider my phone mission critical to the way I run my life and my business. I think (I know) that GSM users are getting shafted royally and it ticks me off. I don't want to upgrade to a half A$s, step backwards / sideways machine. But, at the same time I don't see anything out there that will do everything as well and as easily as the device I'm currently using. I honestly don't know what I'll do in 9 months time when the PalmOS GSM step backwards unit is released.

Dunc
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    So we get around 32 more mbs with a dying OS all for around $200.
    Isn't that dangerously close to a fashion statement? Shiny is a great reason for choosing a new watch, but not for choosing a business tool like a phone.

Almost all OS's that you buy on phones are dying the moment you get them, as they generally cannot be significantly upgraded. In the mid-80's the choice for a PC user was between DOS 3 & Windows 1.0. DOS was dying, but it was still the right choice. (Ignoring GEM, etc!).

In 2 years time WM may well have a UI that can be easy to use, and one-handed, but if you buy a WM phone now, you probably won't be able to upgrade to that version. Similarly POS offers more usable functionality than WM now. But now is when we get a chance to choose.
    How about inability to use new technology?

If WM and Symbian can use UMTS but Palm OS cannot, and all newer high tech phones coming out NOW have UMTS, which will I have no choice but to choose if I want UMTS? Palm OS can't even handle wifi on a phone!

Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How about inability to use new technology?

If WM and Symbian can use UMTS but Palm OS cannot, and all newer high tech phones coming out NOW have UMTS, which will I have no choice but to choose if I want UMTS? Palm OS can't even handle wifi on a phone!
    If 3G is important to you, and available where you want to use it, then fine. But to choose because "it's not as modern" or some other woolly reason is to be a fashion victim. Like I never am, of course!
    NEVER!!! It is going to be POS. IMO WM5 blows the POS out of the water. I am holding out for the Cingular 750.
    So Garnet really is useless with UMTS?
    No, Garnet cannot use UMTS because it requires retooling the OS in a fashion that is not cost effective for Palm to do and something that PalmSource (before Access) should have done. Cobalt was just as much dead in the water as Palm would have had to write the telephony drivers for Cobalt for both the GSM and CDMA sides of things and there were more pressing parts of the OS that werent done. So yea, Garnet had to work for them and they have basically pushed it really far. Give em props, then bash them for silly designs
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast