Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Hello all, i know that there have been many posts on this thorugh out, but this is a very specific feature that i heard was on the TomTom that was not on the last garmin i had. I always wanted to be able to sort POI's that would be on my route, not just based on what was nearest to my current location. I read that the Tom Tom was capable of doing so, i was curious if anyone has expierience with this feature? How well does it work? is it now offered on the Garmin? Will it be on the 10x?

Thanks alot, i'll probably be picking up the Tom Tom on friday if all goes well
    I had no idea what the answer your question was but I was curious, so I pulled up the Garmin Que software on my 650.

For Waypoints or ANY "Points of Interest" category (Cities, Food and Drink, Transportation, Lodging, Shopping, Services (e.g. ATMs) or just all points of interest) you can search for POIs "Near Current Route" and choose the distance from route (500 ft, 0.5 mi, 1 mi, 2 mi, 5 mi, 15 mi or 30 mi) and optionally including a text search as well (e.g. find all Del Taco locations under Food and Drink within 1 mile of your route.)

The results are specified in terms of distance from your current location. I couldn't see any way to sort them according to a different criterion or save the results. The Mobile XT software that will be used with the 10x appears to be the same judging by the preliminary manual.
    You can not sort TomTom 6 based on the text. Only on the category and distance from your current location. You can however type a "p" and be taken to the closest POI starting with a "p". I wish this were different as I often find the POI a pain to use when you have to select something first, city, zip etc rather then just browsing the POI category.
    MRL-MO
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    While you're traveling using Tomtom on a route you can select an option that will only show you POI's located along that route instead of the ones that are nearest by but not necessarily on the route. As far as doing this ahead of time while you're in the planning stages I don't think you'll have much luck but once you're on the road the feature kicks in.

hope that helps
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Is there any way to get TomTom to show you the address of the POI's? I can't see it if it's there. Garmin was able to do this, and it really helped making sure you were going to the right taco bell, or if it was sending you to the one in the next town over. TomTom will show you the approximate distances, but sometimes that is not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by ps40897 View Post
    While you're traveling using Tomtom on a route you can select an option that will only show you POI's located along that route instead of the ones that are nearest by but not necessarily on the route. As far as doing this ahead of time while you're in the planning stages I don't think you'll have much luck but once you're on the road the feature kicks in.

hope that helps
    TomTom 5, when it sorts by POI on route, will first display the POI that are directly on route, then display POI that are slightly off route, then POI that are way off route.

I'm assuming the feature will be the same for TomTom 6.