1.    #1  
    I am trying to setup my .Mac email account with my treo700p using VersaMail. When adding the account it has it in the preselected list of different accounts they work with. The client has no troubles downloading/receiving messages but when I go to send a message I get the following error:

553 5.7.1 <john@hotmail.com>...Relaying denied, try authenticating.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    I've been able to get my Treo 650 to work with my .mac account, but imperfectly.

I believe it is possible to choose to access .mac as IMAP (which is how the pre-canned Versamail settings do it) or as POP. With the IMAP settings, it truncates the messages and provides no way to request the remainder. With the POP settings it works as expected - meaning it downloads part of the message if it's long, but allows you to get the rest, but it often fails on auto sync.

I would suggest that you go to mac.com and get into their help, and look up the settings for setting up your mail client. Their help is oriented toward a desktop but should give you some clues about the Treo.

It sounds to me like you may have to override a port setting somewhere to get your SMTP to work.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by kylemackinnon View Post
    I am trying to setup my .Mac email account with my treo700p using VersaMail. When adding the account it has it in the preselected list of different accounts they work with. The client has no troubles downloading/receiving messages but when I go to send a message I get the following error:

553 5.7.1 <john@hotmail.com>...Relaying denied, try authenticating.
    I was running into the same error mssg when trying to send messages from my Verizon 700p in VersaMail with my .Mac account. I have got it to work without going to a POP account workaround. Here's how:

Go into VesaMail / Accounts (top menubar) / Account Setup / highlite your .mac account or whatever you named it (I sync multiple IMAP accounts, so I have a number of accounts here... yours may be called anything or VersaMail if you used the default one) / click "edit".

Now, you will go through a number of setup screens, which I will detail below. You probalby have most things right here, but I'll put in everything to be sure.

Account Setup

Sceen 1:
    "Choose an account name...
    "Account Name: '[whatever you want to call it]'
    Mail Service: Apple .Mac (automatic)
    Protocal: IMAP (automatic)

Screen2:
    username:
    [your .mac username WITHOUT "@mac.com"]

Password: your .mac account pswd

Screen 3:
    email address: [your .mac username]@mac.com
    incoming mail server: mail.mac.com
    outgoing mail server: smtp.mac.com

Screen 4

choose Advanced

Screen 5
    Incoming Server settings
    Port number: 143 (automatic)
    checkbox UNCHECKED for "Use secure Connection (SSL)"

Screen 6
    Outgoing Server settings
    checkbox UNCHECKED for "use secure connection (SSL)
    checkbox CHECKED for "use authentication (ESMTP)"

username: [your .mac account username only, no @mac.com!]
    password: [your .mac account pswd, should say "assigned" here]

Hit "done."

This did it for me, after digging through .mac's somewhat un-user-friendly help info to find out how .mac works with its SMTP server.

Let us know how it goes--
    Cheers, Jeremy