Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Does anyone know of an app that will convert an image *on the palm* from one format to another?

The reason I ask is because I am using 'Snap' to take screenshots on my 700P and where it is a workable solution, the pics it takes are 300K bitmaps. What I would like to do is convert these bitmaps to gifs or even jpegs (smaller-sized images) prior to either Bluetoothing them or mailing them.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

SMEGGIE
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Good news!!!!

I spoke with one of the developers of one of the leading graphics viewing apps for Palm OS and he told me that, at my suggestion, they will be incorporating this Image Conversion functionality into one of their upcoming releases. I'll let you know when it hits. This is going to be a Godsend for those of us who send a lot of screenshots and pictures. The ability to change the filetype to a smaller file will do a lot for the Treo user experience.

Squeaky wheelingly yours,

SMEGGIE

SMEGGIE
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    This screencapture utility is a partial solution to my image-size issue:

QuickTake: Version 2.1
    http://www.toysoft.ca/quicktake.html

Quick Take is PalmOSŪ system utility to capture the current screen. Quick Take saves the current screen resolution as a JPG or BMP file to the external card. Quick Take can be activated with one of the main hard keys or power button.

Quick Take is the only screen capture utility that saves to JPG format. With Quick Take you can quickly send captured screens to anyone. Typical 320x320 16bit color JPG screen is around 20K.

PalmOSŪ: 5.0 and higher

Memory Requirement: 85K

SMEGGIE
    Wow, but $12? Snap is free...and saves to the SD card too, so no memory concerns here.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    ...Quick Take is the only screen capture utility that saves to JPG format. With Quick Take you can quickly send captured screens to anyone. Typical 320x320 16bit color JPG screen is around 20K.

PalmOSŪ: 5.0 and higher

Memory Requirement: 85K

SMEGGIE
    To get the Palm OS screens that appear in my articles on TC, I use Screenshot [http://www.mobihand.com/treocentral/...t.asp?id=5698] which exports jpg, gif or bmp to a card. A 320x320 image of a mildly busy screen runs 25K. It's $15.00.

Jay
    Jay Gross
    TreoCentral writer
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Sprint Treo 650, drowned Sprint Treo 700P, Treo 700w, and a crimson Treo 680 (yeah!), plus a red Centro
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaygross View Post
    To get the Palm OS screens that appear in my articles on TC, I use Screenshot [http://www.mobihand.com/treocentral/...t.asp?id=5698] which exports jpg, gif or bmp to a card. A 320x320 image of a mildly busy screen runs 25K. It's $15.00.

Jay
    Thanks Jay!

That was their verbiage - not mine!!

SMEGGIE
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Through the use of my new screenshot app, QuickTake, I have singlehandedly obviated the need for an Image Converter although it is still a great idea for an app. (if I don't say so myself)

By using QuickTake (or some of the other screenshot apps like Screenshot5 which also saves images as jpegs) I can now create images (screenshots) of any of my images, regardless of whether they are pictures or screenshots of screens, which results in pictures that are very, very small. (14-20 kb) Any picture or image that I can display on my 700P can become a very tiny file perfect for sending via the Treo's email client, whichever one you use.

Now, how cool is that??

SMEGGIE