Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    does the 700p use the same sync cord and power cord as the 650??

do we know when a firmware or bt update is coming?? I keep hearing that the 700p doesn't work properly with my M35...
    650 is working great but I hear that the caller id on screen doesn't work w/the 700.. thats a big issue to me..
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Yes the cords are the same....

Firmware or BT update.. who knows... we are all waiting, however I don't have any big issues with mine. my BT works fine. I use the standard treo headset..

My caller ID works fine. I didn't know people had issues with this..

Congrats on your purchase... and enjoy!! I love my 700p!!

KAOS
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    thanks... Im picking it up tomorrow and I'm excited !!
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    what about the upgrade process, can I just install over my current palm software... that's what I've done in the past from 600 to 650 and all was fine..
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    Assuming you are talking about the desktop, yes, you can install the new Palm desktop software over the top.

Given you've already done the 600->650 upgrade, I probably don't need to tell you this, but for the sake of anyone else reading, I'd recommend double checking you have the latest versions of the software as some apps needed to be updated for the 700p. You may also find you don't need some of your old apps as the features come built-in on the 700p.

Finally, there is a wiki article that may help as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    what about the upgrade process, can I just install over my current palm software... that's what I've done in the past from 600 to 650 and all was fine..
    Congradulations on your 700p, you are going to love it! I would strongly recommend installing only basic application information (contact, calendar, etc.) and adding your third party apps one by one after checking for latest versions as recommended above and checking each one by searching for it on TC. It may be tempting to cirucumvent this step but you may pay a steep price for it later on. I don't want to sound too dramatic here , but it's IMHO.

Search for exact details but I believe the process is to rename your
    "/Program Files/Palm (or Handspring)/<username>/Backup" folder to Backup.Old. Shut down and restart Hotsync Manager, reset the 700p and do the Hotsync (again, check the process, there are various threads). This *should* place only telephone info, calendar info, memos, etc on your 700p and nothing else.

You will see that if you install only programs which have been confirmed to work with the 700p, it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Other approaches usually lead to delays and posibble disillusionment with this very temperamental/cutting edge piece of high tech.

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    thank you all for the help.
    I should have the 700 soon and I'm going to delete any old 3rd party apps (or move them to my sd card) and start fresh!
    I am going to just install over the existing software and with no 3rd party apps, it should be fine... like I said when I went from 600 to 650, I even left 3rd party apps and all was good, still is

thank you again for your sugesstions and I'll post in a few days my thoughts on the 700p
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    You are going to love it. I held off upgrading for the last x months because while EVDO data rates are nice and 60+MB of memory is more of a basic requirement, it just wasn't compelling enough to drop the $$$.

After finding a good deal on eBay and being fed up with the 650 memory limitations, I bought a 700p last week and am very glad I did. EVDO and more memory is worth it, but surprisingly the screen is much whiter/brighter compared to my 650 which had a bluish tint. That makes the 700p much better to use even in direct sunlight. Although the volume of the 700p seems lower than the 650, it hasn't been a problem (most noticeable in the speakerphone). Even the new content of the 700p (e.g. On Demand) is actually pretty useful instead of the usual carrier-provided junk and consolidates many functions I used to have in multiple 650 apps.

Enjoy your new toy!
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    i love my 700p, but i'd probably get a 700wx now if i had the option when I previously purchased my 700p
    Any particular reason? I'm just not ready to jump to WM UI yet but know it will happen eventually.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)