Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I have the unlimited data plan but not the phone as modem plan through Verizon. For PDAnet Verizon users out there, is there a substantial difference between using the dialup v. proxy? Right now it will let me use the dialup feature, though I'm concerned this will generate red flags with Verizon since I don't have the phone as modem plan. Thanks.
    I'm a VZW 700p and PDANet user. Can you explain dialup vs. proxy?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I'm a VZW 700p and PDANet user. Can you explain dialup vs. proxy?
    Let's see if I can explain it:

In the dialup mode, your phone works exactly as a modem, that is any data incoming will be routed directly to your PC. From the ISP side, potentially they could sense that you are "bypassing the phone", thus using the dial up as modem (DUN) mode and charging you the extra fees.

In the proxy mode, all data will be routed to the phone first, and once the phone has it it will pass it along to your PC. In this case, the ISP would only see the phone working as intended (i.e. you are browsing the web with Blazer) and this mode is almost certain to not raise any flags.

Now, after that's been said, I have PDAnet and I have used only the Dial-up mode, and VZW has not charged me a dime for that. Again, take this with a grain of salt, my usage has been very moderate and this could change if you use your phone with PDAnet all day long to browse the web.

waldo15 out
    waldo15,
    How did you configure PDANet for DUN? I know it's an advanced setting but I don't know how to configure the DUN. I've always used the default data network (proxy) settings.

AndrewJ,
    As stated I've always used the proxy settings without problems. If I can figure out how to get DUN working I'll test both and see if there's a difference.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    waldo15,
    How did you configure PDANet for DUN? I know it's an advanced setting but I don't know how to configure the DUN. I've always used the default data network (proxy) settings.
    Peter,

Once you install PDANet and start running, by default it is configured to run in DUN mode.

You can manually change between DUN and Proxy once you launch PDANet in your phone and select Mode. The pull down menu will show either Dialup (DUN) or Proxy.

On the computer side there's not much to do, just fire up the PDANet app to run in the background and connect the phone with either USB or BT
    Thanks waldo. Guess I was wrong. I've been using DUN not proxy.