1.    #1  
    I just turned on my unlimited data so now I can use the email on my Treo 650 OK.... so now to try to figure out what I want. I see that Wireless Sync is there and I guess I can install Versamail, but I have a program on my Treo called "mail" (by Intellasync)? Did that come with the Treo? I don't remember DL'ing it? I probably won't use email much but it seems fun. I'll probably start with just getting my personal email? I'm going to check at work to see it I can even have and get any email through thier. I can look at the postes for others favorite email progs but I need to know where this "mail" prog I have came from and if it's connected to the Wireless Sync and if I should just start with it or Vesamail? I don't want to buy any program till I play with the (free) ones I have first.
    I don't know about the "mail" you mention.

But despite all the rants you hear about Versamail, it is quiet good if you configure and use it properly. I've been using it ever since I got my Treo and it has served me well. (I sync 4 email accounts (two corporate IMAP and two POP3 accounts (one's Gmail))).

Syncing email with POP3 can be frustrating but if one understands how things are supposed to work, then it's not really a problem. Idiotic Gmail adds a further complication to the mess of POP3.

My suggestion is, create a free account at fastmail.fm. Forward all your mails (from all your accounts) to your fastmail.fm address, and use filters to deliver mails to specific folders for each of your email accounts. Use IMAP exclusively for syncing your fastmail address on your Treo, your desktop and whatever.

Note that you need to set-up separate SMTP (sending mail) for each of your accounts on you Treo independent of fastmail.fm. (ie. use your other email accounts for mail delivery. This is neat as your mails don't get mixed-up)

When you are ready, you can migrate to ChatterEmail...

- mvk
    Wireless Sync is the bundled software from Intellisync, that Verizon provides to it's customers. You don't need Versamail. Versamail is another software (from Palm) that does the same thing as "Mail".
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  4.    #4  
    Gee Greenhex....create a sepeate fastmail addy and forward everything there and then filter .......uh sounds like a lot of hasssle to me. Don't get me worng, if it works for you thats great. I just want simple email. How long is Chatters trial period?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Wireless Sync is the bundled software from Intellisync, that Verizon provides to it's customers. You don't need Versamail. Versamail is another software (from Palm) that does the same thing as "Mail".

Thanks......... so "mail" came with Wireless Sync, that makes sense now that I mess with it. If mail works and its free maybe I'll use it for awhile. I hear good but mostly bad about Versamail. Maybe I'll try Chattermail it seems popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidaz View Post
    Gee Greenhex....create a sepeate fastmail addy and forward everything there and then filter .......uh sounds like a lot of hasssle to me. Don't get me worng, if it works for you thats great. I just want simple email. How long is Chatters trial period?
    ChatterEmail free trial is 30 days according to the website.

I don't think it's too much of a hassel to set-up filters. You need to do that only once and forget about it. Try it (with VersaMail) and once you get over the "inertia" you'd probably get to like it too.

The only reason to forward to fastmail.fm is because it gives free IMAP (with IDLE) functionality (this is REALLY GOOD, when used with ChatterEmail). If your email service has that, then there is no need to forward your mails to fastmail.fm.

Quote Originally Posted by davidaz View Post
    I hear good but mostly bad about Versamail.
    There are tons of people who use Versamail w/o problems. While it is fashonable to berate Versamail, it seems to work for me, though I am a heavy email user. Like they say, your-mileage-may-vary.

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 10/01/2006 at 09:48 AM.